ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: LAB Sub 2 - Small 'n' Loud for Rock 'n' Roll  (Read 10728 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: LAB Sub 2 - Small 'n' Loud for Rock 'n' Roll
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 09:02:05 AM »

Sooo, anyone with design chops way better than me (I can use HornResp to make pictures) come up with a design that fits our 'requirements'?

I mean, JTR's Captivator 212PRO is impressive but A DIY variant (NOT A COPY) of that or something like the DSL Mini seems exactly what we're all looking for?

Distilled requirements seem to me to be:
135dB peak SPL
Usable output 40hz-120hz
Strong output 50hz-110hz
70lbs or less
Truck pack
Handles
Wheels
Pole cup

(somewhat relevant)
My purposes are small subs to go under the SM100's I grabbed. DJ Monitors & small rig (weddings, etc).
DSL Mini is probably the natural choice, but I don't want to spend money and wood is easily accessible.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 09:22:23 AM »

135dB? Really?
If you want 135dB at 40Hz, you're looking at a couple of good double-18"s. If you use a sealed box, it's 10x 18" drivers each moving 24mm peak-to-peak to manage that sort of number.
FWIW, I can get 139dB "peak" out of a single 15". It's at the cone breakup peak (103dB@1w) at 1.2kHz, and the driver will stand 4KW short-term peaks at that frequency if you can find an amp big enough.

Seems to me like a ported 15" ticks most of the boxes. I suspect it'd be easy enough to come up with a couple of variations - one that's tuned to 50Hz, and another that's tuned to 40Hz. I must make it clear, though, that the 50Hz box will put out basically nothing at 40Hz.

If that'd be interesting, I'll get started.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Taylor Hall

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2019, 09:47:19 AM »

You could try looking at Art's dual LAB12 box. I've built a couple and they're pretty potent for their size, albeit power hungry. They tick all the requirements apart from the one-handed transport.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2019, 10:03:40 AM »

135dB? Really?
If you want 135dB at 40Hz, you're looking at a couple of good double-18"s. If you use a sealed box, it's 10x 18" drivers each moving 24mm peak-to-peak to manage that sort of number.
FWIW, I can get 139dB "peak" out of a single 15". It's at the cone breakup peak (103dB@1w) at 1.2kHz, and the driver will stand 4KW short-term peaks at that frequency if you can find an amp big enough.

Seems to me like a ported 15" ticks most of the boxes. I suspect it'd be easy enough to come up with a couple of variations - one that's tuned to 50Hz, and another that's tuned to 40Hz. I must make it clear, though, that the 50Hz box will put out basically nothing at 40Hz.

If that'd be interesting, I'll get started.

Chris

Thanks Chris, note I'm not tasking you ;)
Just for funsies, and I'd love to have these under my Sm100's for DJ monitors come Nov 30th ;)
Trial run!

Note I didn't say 135dB @ 40Hz
I said 135dB peak.

To me, it seems the JTR 212Pro hits all the marks I stated prior (see image).

Image (JTR 212Pro): Add 9db for 1 meter, peak (measurement 2m/rms)
[stolen from JTR's FB page]

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 10:10:50 AM »

You could try looking at Art's dual LAB12 box. I've built a couple and they're pretty potent for their size, albeit power hungry. They tick all the requirements apart from the one-handed transport.

https://soundforums.net/community/threads/free-sub-plan-dual-lab12-front-loaded-by-welter-systems.164/

I did not know about these. That's pretty awesome!

Taylor Hall

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2019, 10:19:28 AM »

https://soundforums.net/community/threads/free-sub-plan-dual-lab12-front-loaded-by-welter-systems.164/

Yeah, build took a couple weekends, super easy to throw together. Still need to make grilles for them but that project is way down the totem pole until our busy season winds down in a month or so.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2019, 01:40:42 PM »

Heavy little bricks, lotsa LF and little punch. For DJ use with droning LF, the LAB 12 are not going to handle the long term power dished out like modern drivers can, and for most genres, whomping hard 60-120 Hz will be "more impressive".
After side by side comparisons, I sold several pairs of small tapped and front loaded horns to DJs that had nearly an octave less low frequency, but more top- the WS LAB 2x12s ended up being sold to a great 5 string bass player that knew what he was looking for, and could notice the difference.

You might consider the Tham designs:

http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/index.php?m=03&y=12&entry=entry120331-124819

They will get you into TH-Mini territory, with Papa, Momma, and Baby Bear options.

Art
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 01:54:14 PM by Art Welter »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2019, 01:40:42 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.