ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad Connectivity  (Read 4945 times)

Eric Snodgrass

Re: Bad Connectivity
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 07:40:42 AM »

Are you sure that is the correct antenna model number you have? If so that is VHF antenna, all of the BLX series are UHF, if that's case big problem there.
^^^^^^^
Yep. Mike hit the nail squarely on the head.  If the OP's antenna model number is correct then he has the wrong antennas hooked up.  You need the UHF version for the BLX series. 

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 08:17:27 AM »

^^^^^^^
Yep. Mike hit the nail squarely on the head.  If the OP's antenna model number is correct then he has the wrong antennas hooked up.  You need the UHF version for the BLX series.

All the Shure active paddle antennas are an 874xxxxx model, maybe a typo when posting...or not. If not it would be interesting to know how those antennas got into that system and also what the distro system is.

scottstephens

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 10:01:11 AM »

Ben,

I am not positive, but I think the BLX series max out at 12 in a group. Like others have said, check your freq. coordination.

Scott

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 12:06:31 PM »

Is this a brand new installation?  A new problem with an existing installation?

If the former, I'd suspect freq coordination; if the latter, the TV band repack/600MHz mobile device take over.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 01:16:51 PM »

Um....... just an observation, why is the op ignoring moving the Wireless's to the stage and possibly eliminating all the weirdness,besides the possible wrong antenna.
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 01:49:03 PM »

Um....... just an observation, why is the op ignoring moving the Wireless's to the stage and possibly eliminating all the weirdness,besides the possible wrong antenna.
The OP hasn't been here since his first post, so thus far he's ignoring everything.

That said, I like my receivers at FOH for seeing power state and battery level.  YMMV but moving receivers would be the last thing I would try.  There are other pieces of very low-hanging fruit like frequency coordination and having matching pieces that I would do first.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 02:49:15 PM »

The OP hasn't been here since his first post, so thus far he's ignoring everything.

That said, I like my receivers at FOH for seeing power state and battery level.  YMMV but moving receivers would be the last thing I would try.  There are other pieces of very low-hanging fruit like frequency coordination and having matching pieces that I would do first.

If I had receivers with network connectivity I would put them on the stage but like Tom, I like em where I can watch them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 05:11:37 PM »

I like my receivers where I can monitor them for various reasons as well or at least somewhere a trusted person will monitor them.

Funny Ben has not replied since in the original post he stated needing it fixed ASAP!

Ben Petersen

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 11:19:19 AM »

To troubleshoot this more effectively we're going to need a bit more information about your setup:
  • Do the antennas have line-of-sight to the stage?
  • What are you using for antenna distribution?
  • What kind of cables are you using to connect the antennas to the antenna distro, and how long are they?
  • What band(s) are your microphones in?
  • How did you choose which frequencies to use?
  • Do some of the microphones seem to work consistently better than others, or do they all seem to suffer about equally?
  • Where is the venue located?

-Russ

Right now the antennae have a direct line of sight to the stage. There is another mic rack that has a different set of antennae positioned similarly that doesn't seem to have any issues. The problem mics are hooked up to three Shure UA844 antenna distributers. Frequencies were chosen using the 'Scan' buttons on the receivers. All of the microphones have similar if not the same dropout effect. The venue is a High School auditorium with a distance of about 100 ft. from the sound booth to the stage. The cables are BlackWeb brand COAX 100ft cables.

Steven Cohen

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 12:03:40 PM »

Ben,

As another poster pointed out, the antennas you are using work in the VHF range, while your wireless systems operate in the UHF range. That is most likely your main issue.

Also, in you last post you stated that you are using 100' of coax in a 100' room. I have a few questions, 1st, why do you need a 100' of cable, meaning where are the antennas located in relationship to the receiver and the stage? Are you using the correct type of coax? There are several specifications, I believe the type you need is 50 ohm RG8X/U, but you can call Shure and confirm.

Because you stated you needed a fast solution, I recommend putting the receivers on the stage using the original 1/4 wave whip antennas that came with the systems.

If you are still not satisfied with the results, call Shure and get the proper cable and active antennas tuned for your BLX wireless frequency range, keep your coax as short as possible (25' or less), make sure the gain on the active antennas are set for the corresponding cable length (3db for 25' of coax), and spread the active antennas at-least 6' apart.

Steve   

Right now the antennae have a direct line of sight to the stage. There is another mic rack that has a different set of antennae positioned similarly that doesn't seem to have any issues. The problem mics are hooked up to three Shure UA844 antenna distributers. Frequencies were chosen using the 'Scan' buttons on the receivers. All of the microphones have similar if not the same dropout effect. The venue is a High School auditorium with a distance of about 100 ft. from the sound booth to the stage. The cables are BlackWeb brand COAX 100ft cables.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 12:03:40 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.