ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad Connectivity  (Read 1512 times)

Ben Petersen

Bad Connectivity
« on: January 09, 2019, 11:42:55 am »

I am trying to fix a mic system of twelve Shure BLX1's and I'm having a lot of trouble getting the signal to reach from the stage to the back of the auditorium. The distance is around 100 feet. The UA874V Directional antennae are set up in the sound booth with the receivers. There is lots of signal dropout when I do sound checks and sometimes, the receivers won't even show that the mic is connected at all. I've tried moving the antennae around, taping the antennae on the transmitters so that it stays upright, and changed the gain switch on the Directional receivers all the way to +12dB. We have a production coming up in a few weeks and I need this problem fixed ASAP. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:49:51 am by Ben Petersen »

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Bad Connectivity
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 12:16:19 pm »

Receivers at the stage.
Period.
end of problem.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 12:21:46 pm »

I am trying to fix a mic system of twelve Shure BLX1's and I'm having a lot of trouble getting the signal to reach from the stage to the back of the auditorium. The distance is around 100 feet. The UA874V Directional antennae are set up in the sound booth with the receivers. There is lots of signal dropout when I do sound checks and sometimes, the receivers won't even show that the mic is connected at all. I've tried moving the antennae around, taping the antennae on the transmitters so that it stays upright, and changed the gain switch on the Directional receivers all the way to +12dB. We have a production coming up in a few weeks and I need this problem fixed ASAP.
The first step is asking how you have the frequencies assigned.  Did you do a coordination and/or scan?  If not, run, do not walk to get Shure Wireless Workbench and do a frequency coordination for your area.

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 12:59:48 pm »

The first step is asking how you have the frequencies assigned.  Did you do a coordination and/or scan?  If not, run, do not walk to get Shure Wireless Workbench and do a frequency coordination for your area.

This would be my first step.

Riley Casey

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 01:08:46 pm »

Move the antenna out of the booth and into the auditorium.  There should be no walls or metal between the antenna and the wireless transmitters, only air.  Position it at least five feet above the audience heads even when standing.

Drew Kirkland

• consultant, designer and installation engineerScot
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 01:13:27 pm »

Move the antenna out of the booth and into the auditorium.  There should be no walls or metal between the antenna and the wireless transmitters, only air.  Position it at least five feet above the audience heads even when standing.
Try to use Ct100 cabling to reduce dropout

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

why bother to burn the candle at both ends when you can take a flame-thower to it

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 05:14:47 pm »

To troubleshoot this more effectively we're going to need a bit more information about your setup:
  • Do the antennas have line-of-sight to the stage?
  • What are you using for antenna distribution?
  • What kind of cables are you using to connect the antennas to the antenna distro, and how long are they?
  • What band(s) are your microphones in?
  • How did you choose which frequencies to use?
  • Do some of the microphones seem to work consistently better than others, or do they all seem to suffer about equally?
  • Where is the venue located?

-Russ

John L Nobile

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 05:30:02 pm »

Receivers at the stage.
Period.
end of problem.
Chris.

+1. Doing that solved all my problems years ago.

There really should be a like button.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 06:23:18 pm »

Are you sure that is the correct antenna model number you have? If so that is VHF antenna, all of the BLX series are UHF, if that's case big problem there.

What distro system do you have to feed the 12 receivers?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 08:59:27 pm »

Putting the antennas at the stage is what you want to do. If you have to move the receivers to the stage to do that then do that. Also turn down the gain on the antennas. The gain is there to make up for cable losses after the antenna, not weak signal ahead of the antennas. Amplified antennas will more like make the problems worse.

Mac
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 23 queries.