ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Live Stage w/ 10-15 vocalists? Top 5 Mics to use.  (Read 5482 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Live Stage w/ 10-15 vocalists? Top 5 Mics to use.
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 10:06:47 AM »

Cheap solution: couple of lead vocal mics and some condensers as general area mics.

Preferred solution:
DPA 4088 on all performers that use their voice, 4099 on all instruments and as many channels of wireless as needed.
Proper soundcheck and a run-through before the audience arrives.

Are DPA mics sold at some kind of serious discount in Oslo?

Also the idea that there will be rehearsal at Sam's event is... uh... a dream.  They walk up and "perform".
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 10:21:40 AM »

Are DPA mics sold at some kind of serious discount in Oslo?

Also the idea that there will be rehearsal at Sam's event is... uh... a dream.  They walk up and "perform".

DPA 4066/4088 and 4099 is found everywhere here and is considered standard items once you get a level or two above the ankle-biters.

I know all about no SC for this, done too many corporate events with talking heads and performers with no SC, just me doing a LC during setup.

kel mcguire

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 01:26:16 PM »

I'd probably go with 58s for the singers and a couple few SD condensers on the sides. To me what would be more important is getting the mics as close as possible to the sound source, and ringing out the system, apply HPF then using your main EQ to find the couple/few worst offending frequencies so you might get a few dB extra room to work with. I also tend to slightly pan stage right zone mics to house right speaker(stage left speaker) and vice versa. That can get you a couple dB too.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 06:23:09 PM »

Hey everyone,
I have an event coming up in March (Carnival style) with live instruments perfoming in front of the stage on ground level and the performers (some singing, some acting) on stage level. Previous years I've used the trusty SM58's for the main vocalists and which are usually 1-2, then there are anywhere from 5-10 per side dancing on each side of the stage singing and dancing in line.

Stage is roughly 25'ft wide by 20'ft in depth. Hall size seats around 350 and I place 2 additional speakers about 40'ft in front of the main FOH for additional sound coverage.

I'm hoping to catch more of the dancers vocals and some of the acting going on in the middle of the stage in between songs. I would like to use 1-2 mics per side on stage to capture some of this.

In your experience, what are some of the better mics that won't break the bank for this purpose? I dont have the option of hanging them from the ceiling so they would have to be floor mounted on boom mic stands.

Photos for reference of last years Carnival:

How far up stage are they from your truss? Do the curtains close at any time? Will you be setting up your speakers the same way as shown in the picture?

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 08:18:42 PM »

How far up stage are they from your truss? Do the curtains close at any time? Will you be setting up your speakers the same way as shown in the picture?

Hi Kevin,
The trussing is roughly 2-3'ft in front of the stage
The curtains close after every act. There will be roughly 12-15 acts in a matter of 24 hours - non stop. (It's insane!)
The FOH and truss will be setup exactly the same for this year.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 08:22:27 PM »

No option to use wireless mics with lavs or headsets?

Bob, absolutely not... This is a 24 hour event with non stop acts and dancing with as much as 25 people on stage at any given time. lol

It's insane.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 08:27:49 PM »

I'd probably go with 58s for the singers and a couple few SD condensers on the sides. To me what would be more important is getting the mics as close as possible to the sound source, and ringing out the system, apply HPF then using your main EQ to find the couple/few worst offending frequencies so you might get a few dB extra room to work with. I also tend to slightly pan stage right zone mics to house right speaker(stage left speaker) and vice versa. That can get you a couple dB too.

I guess I should have mentioned that last year for this event I used the following:

3 Beta58's for the main vocalists up front.
2 SM57 (1 on each side) for the front choir singers
2 AKG C3000 large diaphragm condensers on stage (1 on each side)

Dont get me wrong, it sounded pretty good during the actually performance of them dancing and singing with the musicians performing right in front of the stage, the only area that I was concerned with was capturing more of the "acting" and some of the performers weren't projecting their vocals really loudly so I worked the faders a bit just before feedback and it was fine. Just wanted to see if there was a better/different approach than what I did last year I could use for this year. :)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 03:53:28 AM »

Just wanted to see if there was a better/different approach than what I did last year I could use for this year. :)

I guess the only thing that might be missing is hanging a mic or two above the middle of the stage, perhaps angled towards the back of the stage a little.

That'd give more options for area mic pickup.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 06:54:48 AM »

Seems a few large format condensers would work.  AKG comes to mind as having something affordable (their "Perception" series). 

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 07:55:27 AM »

Sam, why not put a couple of short shotgun mics mounted on the truss?  Point them to the area of the stage you want, bring them up when needed. 
Any reason you can't mount mics on the truss?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 07:55:27 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.