ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Live Stage w/ 10-15 vocalists? Top 5 Mics to use.  (Read 5519 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
Live Stage w/ 10-15 vocalists? Top 5 Mics to use.
« on: January 08, 2019, 07:19:45 PM »

Hey everyone,
I have an event coming up in March (Carnival style) with live instruments perfoming in front of the stage on ground level and the performers (some singing, some acting) on stage level. Previous years I've used the trusty SM58's for the main vocalists and which are usually 1-2, then there are anywhere from 5-10 per side dancing on each side of the stage singing and dancing in line.

Stage is roughly 25'ft wide by 20'ft in depth. Hall size seats around 350 and I place 2 additional speakers about 40'ft in front of the main FOH for additional sound coverage.

I'm hoping to catch more of the dancers vocals and some of the acting going on in the middle of the stage in between songs. I would like to use 1-2 mics per side on stage to capture some of this.

In your experience, what are some of the better mics that won't break the bank for this purpose? I dont have the option of hanging them from the ceiling so they would have to be floor mounted on boom mic stands.

Photos for reference of last years Carnival:

Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Live Stage w/ 10-15 vocalists? Top 5 Mics to use.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 07:26:01 PM »

How many mics do you really think you need? And how much money do you have to spend on them?

I'm a big fan of the Heil PR22UT myself, and it's only just barely more expensive than the SM58, like $10-15 at most.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Mal Brown

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 07:31:18 PM »

I have a pair of AkG c3000b.  The old ones.  They have card or hyper card patterns control.  If it were me, I would try them in hyper card XY centered to start.  Then card.  Then 1 per side card and hyper card.  See what you get and like best.  Bought the pair used from a closing studio at $350.  It was $350 well spent.  Choral, Taiko, ‘grass, They just seem to work.

You could also space 57’s or i5’s  on boom stands in a line 4 to 6.

Amature choral is a bit of a crap shoot IME.  So much depends on the quality of the singers and relative volume.   If you have time to try a few things that would be for the best.

I have also used a pair Behringer eco-8000’s centered in XY for both choral and taiko.  They worked OK.  The akg’s are sweeter.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Bob Stone

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 07:33:27 PM »

No option to use wireless mics with lavs or headsets?

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 07:35:05 PM »

If it were me, I would try them in hyper card XY centered to start.  Then card.  Then 1 per side card and hyper card. 

Agreed, since they're not being close mic'd.  I've used SM27's for choral groups with good results.

@Sam - make sure you're HPF'ing whatever you use to keep the stomping out of the PA.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 08:55:24 PM »

Area micing, combat mixing.

In this instance I'd reach for my half dozen AKG C-535eb, and put foam pop filters on them.  Activate pad/roll-off filters.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Robert Patch

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 09:07:15 PM »

Area micing, combat mixing.

In this instance I'd reach for my half dozen AKG C-535eb, and put foam pop filters on them.  Activate pad/roll-off filters.

I'm with Tim.  Good choice with the AKG C-535.

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 10:35:05 PM »

Hey everyone,
I have an event coming up in March (Carnival style) with live instruments perfoming in front of the stage on ground level and the performers (some singing, some acting) on stage level. Previous years I've used the trusty SM58's for the main vocalists and which are usually 1-2, then there are anywhere from 5-10 per side dancing on each side of the stage singing and dancing in line.

Stage is roughly 25'ft wide by 20'ft in depth. Hall size seats around 350 and I place 2 additional speakers about 40'ft in front of the main FOH for additional sound coverage.

I'm hoping to catch more of the dancers vocals and some of the acting going on in the middle of the stage in between songs. I would like to use 1-2 mics per side on stage to capture some of this.

In your experience, what are some of the better mics that won't break the bank for this purpose? I dont have the option of hanging them from the ceiling so they would have to be floor mounted on boom mic stands.

If it were me, I'd approach this as a choral application.
For chorus' I use: Shure MX202B/C choral mics.  They do a good job for me plus they are stand-mountable.
From the looks of your stage two of the above mics and one SM58 (centered) as a soloist mic (mute/unmute as needed) should do it.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 11:07:43 PM »

Hey everyone,

Hi Sam,
I sent you a PM.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 10:00:04 AM »

Cheap solution: couple of lead vocal mics and some condensers as general area mics.

Preferred solution:
DPA 4088 on all performers that use their voice, 4099 on all instruments and as many channels of wireless as needed.
Proper soundcheck and a run-through before the audience arrives.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 10:00:04 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.