ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: small shock to child in restaurant.  (Read 3585 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
small shock to child in restaurant.
« on: January 08, 2019, 12:52:46 PM »

This happened in hubby's home town in the UK.
shock
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: small shock to child in restaurant.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 02:38:24 PM »

shock

Wow, had that been my daughter in a similar situation of neglect/negligence, the article would have read differently.  The lead-in would have been centered around dad’s rampage.

Burned hands is no small shock - that’s serious stuff.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 05:42:11 PM by Steven A. White »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 02:44:10 PM »

Wow, had that been my daughter in a similar situation of neglect/negligence, the article would have read differently.  The lead-in would have been centered around dad’s rampage.

In the brief article there's no explanation as to how the girl's hands were burned by wiring supposedly not energized.  That said, even if energized there would need to be additional failures for a shock to be delivered to the victim.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 03:43:26 PM »

shock
So even the Brits say "electrocuted" when they really mean "electrically shocked". Sounds like management was busy knitting A$$hole covers.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 04:24:29 PM »

In the brief article there's no explanation as to how the girl's hands were burned by wiring supposedly not energized.  That said, even if energized there would need to be additional failures for a shock to be delivered to the victim.
The only thing i can think of (and something that has bit me in the ass before) is a still charged reservoir capacitor, esp. if on the primary side.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 07:38:47 AM »

Looking at the article, there's a circuit board being held up by its connecting wires. Could be anything, including stored energy in capacitors as someone mentioned earlier.

Electricity here is pretty safe if everything is properly installed - you have to go out of your way (ie, have an appliance opened up, powered, and poke around inside) to get a shock. You can't even poke a screwdriver into the wall unless you manage to break the shutters.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 09:44:24 AM »

This thread reminded me of this - somewhat related:

British plug
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 12:28:54 PM »

For some reason I couldn't see the article when this was first posted.  I am curious what that circuit board is?  I once build a neon lamp driver that looked a little similar-if their is an oscillator running a higher than 60 Hz freq to that transformer it could easily give a painful, though relatively harmless shock-and that transformer could be thermally hot enough to cause burns-especially on a childs uncalloused hands.
Steve Swaffer

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 06:03:33 PM »

/snip
You can't even poke a screwdriver into the wall unless you manage to break the shutters.

Chris

In my experience, most receptacles are not tamper resistant. Only new work in the past 10 years or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 08:10:22 PM »

Looking at the article, there's a circuit board being held up by its connecting wires. Could be anything, including stored energy in capacitors as someone mentioned earlier.

Electricity here is pretty safe if everything is properly installed - you have to go out of your way (ie, have an appliance opened up, powered, and poke around inside) to get a shock. You can't even poke a screwdriver into the wall unless you manage to break the shutters.

Chris

I looked at it soon after Debbie posted.  There was no picture displayed (although that could have been the JavaScript blocker in my browser).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 08:10:22 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.