ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: small shock to child in restaurant.  (Read 3584 times)

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
Re: small shock to child in restaurant.
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 05:59:42 PM »

In my experience, most receptacles are not tamper resistant. Only new work in the past 10 years or so.

I think Chris is in the UK, where they may be ahead of North America as far as tamper resistant outlets go.

It's hard to tell from the picture included with the story, but the circuit board reminds me of a ballast for fluorescent tubes.  Perhaps some under counter lighting?

GTD
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 06:06:48 PM by Geoff Doane »

Daniel Levi

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 04:29:28 AM »

I think Chris is in the UK, where they may be ahead of North America as far as tamper resistant outlets go.
Yes BS1363 sockets were tamper-proof from the start and so unless one was damaged/modified then there should never be one without the tamper proof mechanism.

OT: But that's probably why earthed devices are more common in the UK and earth cheater devices do not really exhist as the earth pin (well for most sockets) is required for the plug to be able to be inserted into the socket.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 11:19:52 AM »

Yep, I'm in the UK.
I'll do some poking around on my profile to see if I can get that to display properly.

+1 to what Daniel said. The earth/ground pin has to be half-way in before the shutters (covering L/N) open. I've tried pushing against the shutters with a screwdriver to see if they can be broken, but gave up before I managed it.

We also useCeeform, which isn't as safe, but those only get used in professional environments where everyone should know not to open the lid and poke something metallic into the holes.
[ramble on] We did once have a particularly unsafe Ceeform cable at a venue I used to work at. It was a 125A 3-phase (240v per phase) cable, so you can probably imagine it was a big one. We connected that to a distro with 9x 32A outlets.
Now, the guy that assembled this cable (and also did PAT testing around the venue) didn't believe in strain relief - the idea being that if the screws into the copper were done up properly, they should take the strain. Stupid. I think he was fired soon after this incident.
So, someone (not me) goes to connect the big cable to the distro. Picks it up by the connector, and the cable drops out. Fortunately, it wasn't energised.
There was a lot of cursing.
[ramble off]

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 11:19:52 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.