ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Poor SM58  (Read 4207 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Poor SM58
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 05:36:51 PM »

All in all the general public can be really hard on sound equipment that's not theirs, they use it, drop it somewhere when finished and expect it to work the next time and then repeat.

Did some work at a facility that had maybe 10 Countryman E6 headsets, all of them looked like they had been wadded up into the smallest ball possible, unfolded and then repeated a dozen more times. All the while I'm looking at them the person in charge is complaining that they can never get those mics to work well.

Another place purchased a new JDI direct box that I know never left the building, used maybe twice a week for practice and service. In about a year it looked like it had been on a Sex Pistols tour. Screws missing, nut missing on a 1/4 inch jack that was also broken loose on the circuit board, half the paint was gone and the rubber piece on the bottom was long gone.

Bob Stone

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 06:41:09 PM »

The abuse is real...last show I did, guy couldn't get everyone's attention for an announcement, so what does he do? Bangs his palm on the end of my SM58 a dozen times in a row quite hard...as I grabbed and yanked the fader down because I was turned right up trying to get them enough volume. No damage luckily, but seriously? That's what he thinks is a good idea? The customer has made my sh!t list and are getting the "pain in the butt" rate next time they ask for me and a Behringer mic with an aggressive comp on the mic channel.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 09:01:25 PM »

The abuse is real...last show I did, guy couldn't get everyone's attention for an announcement, so what does he do? Bangs his palm on the end of my SM58 a dozen times in a row quite hard...as I grabbed and yanked the fader down because I was turned right up trying to get them enough volume. No damage luckily, but seriously? That's what he thinks is a good idea? The customer has made my sh!t list and are getting the "pain in the butt" rate next time they ask for me and a Behringer mic with an aggressive comp on the mic channel.

Yes.  The bolded text should SOP for announce/emcee/DJ mics.  I bought a 3 pack of some cheesy CAD dynamic for $39.  Talk back, unattended announce mic, known mic abusers; it's got a switch.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Aaron Maurer

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 11:11:14 PM »

Aaron,

Anything of interest for adults there?  Maybe I'll stop in some time. I have bunch of replacement grills in my basement and I don't use 58s anymore. Wouldn't it be fun to walk up and replace the screen for a laugh?

I never been there, it's 15 minutes from my house and I pass it on at least half of my gigs or motorcycles rides. Good excuse for an ice cream stop.

Amazing how we ignore things in our own back yard. I also live about 15 minutes from the Harley Davison plant and have never visited that either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would say it’s more structured around the kids. Take (2) grills with you if you go they had two booths and both mics were smashed in.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 11:26:18 AM »

Our closest friends treated my family to attend the Turkey Hill Experience. Some of you may know of Turkey Hill Ice Cream and Ice Tea. They have a section where the kids can do an interview and be recorded. At first I thought they were prop mics as they had an over head mic in a windscreen so didn’t see what that was. After my daughter was finished I grabbed the mic to do a further inspection and it was on. Poor thing must have been dropped several hundreds of times I suspect?  Doesn’t help the way they mounted the clip either as it could not be moved/adjusted. Was going to ask the wife to go over to see if we could get a tour of the Clair Brothers complex which is about 25 minutes away but decided not to as I already knew the answer.

I would guess that it is so banged up because the clip is mounted upside down. So if someone gently puts it in the clip it will fall out onto its head. I know that those clips do kind of snap in but I have seen people try to put them back in the clip to timidly and they are only being held on by the antenna cover.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:29:11 AM by Kevin Maxwell »

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 12:26:47 PM »

A chunk of wood, hole saw and some paint would make a more effective holder for that application.
Steve Swaffer

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 08:10:38 PM »

Remember when we rented movies on cd how beat up they were, to the point of stopping or skipping. I have never understood how people can be so abusive.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 12:11:01 AM »

Remember when we rented movies on cd how beat up they were, to the point of stopping or skipping. I have never understood how people can be so abusive.

I think you mean DVD, CD was an audio media.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Beatty

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 11:16:09 AM »

Sigh, we don't even see much if any use of DVD playback in the classrooms these days.

But still find a dented handheld no problem.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 11:42:31 PM »

The other day I was scanning around videos of Cory Henry, one of my current fave musos, and found this.  World class talent (check out some of his other stuff, along with the legendary synth solo on Snarky Puppy's "Lingus"), major production with a full orchestra at the prestigious North Sea Jazz Festival, tons of high end mics on various instruments ready for multi-camera serious video production. 

And look what they give Cory to sing into.

At 0:56 you see a side view of a bashed in 58 that looks like it came out of some bar's locker.   ??? :o ::)

https://youtu.be/I8j7XJxew7s

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 11:42:31 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.