ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Poor SM58  (Read 4219 times)

Aaron Maurer

Poor SM58
« on: January 06, 2019, 09:06:43 PM »

Our closest friends treated my family to attend the Turkey Hill Experience. Some of you may know of Turkey Hill Ice Cream and Ice Tea. They have a section where the kids can do an interview and be recorded. At first I thought they were prop mics as they had an over head mic in a windscreen so didn’t see what that was. After my daughter was finished I grabbed the mic to do a further inspection and it was on. Poor thing must have been dropped several hundreds of times I suspect?  Doesn’t help the way they mounted the clip either as it could not be moved/adjusted. Was going to ask the wife to go over to see if we could get a tour of the Clair Brothers complex which is about 25 minutes away but decided not to as I already knew the answer.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Poor SM58
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 07:51:09 AM »

I've seen wireless mics in far worse condition at some schools.
The one in your picture at least still has a somewhat round shape to the grill! 

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
Poor SM58
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 10:39:13 AM »

Aaron,

Anything of interest for adults there?  Maybe I'll stop in some time. I have bunch of replacement grills in my basement and I don't use 58s anymore. Wouldn't it be fun to walk up and replace the screen for a laugh?

I never been there, it's 15 minutes from my house and I pass it on at least half of my gigs or motorcycles rides. Good excuse for an ice cream stop.

Amazing how we ignore things in our own back yard. I also live about 15 minutes from the Harley Davison plant and have never visited that either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:42:32 AM by Scott Olewiler »
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 12:07:01 PM »

Poor thing must have been dropped several hundreds of times I suspect? 

Shure couldn't BUY better advertising for their reliability!

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 06:23:54 PM »

Aaron,

Anything of interest for adults there?  Maybe I'll stop in some time. I have bunch of replacement grills in my basement and I don't use 58s anymore. Wouldn't it be fun to walk up and replace the screen for a laugh?

I never been there, it's 15 minutes from my house and I pass it on at least half of my gigs or motorcycles rides. Good excuse for an ice cream stop.

Amazing how we ignore things in our own back yard. I also live about 15 minutes from the Harley Davison plant and have never visited that either.

But do you ride a Harley?

David Allred

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 07:10:44 PM »

Our closest friends treated my family to attend the Turkey Hill Experience. Some of you may know of Turkey Hill Ice Cream and Ice Tea. They have a section where the kids can do an interview and be recorded. At first I thought they were prop mics as they had an over head mic in a windscreen so didn’t see what that was. After my daughter was finished I grabbed the mic to do a further inspection and it was on. Poor thing must have been dropped several hundreds of times I suspect?  Doesn’t help the way they mounted the clip either as it could not be moved/adjusted. Was going to ask the wife to go over to see if we could get a tour of the Clair Brothers complex which is about 25 minutes away but decided not to as I already knew the answer.
Ha.  Nothing.  I had one in an ETC install that got dropped so many times from being set down my teenage staffers and rolling off to a cement floor.  I suggested letting me tape the clip on it so it wouldn't roll, but they declined because they wanted to able to put it in their pocket.  It was damage so bad the top shaped like a W.  I suggested they buy a replacement grill.  When they couldn't get the grill off, they call me.  I gripped the barrel and another man tried to loosen the grill.  No go. 
A little more investigation yielded that a the grill wouldn't stay on (partially stripped, I guess), so a worker super glued it and threaded it up.  The mic eventually failed (for some reason). Ha.
We sent to Shure for repair.  They got back a new mic.  Shure didn't acknowledge it, but it was obvious.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 10:44:07 PM »

But do you ride a Harley?
On my third one among many other makes/models. If you live here it's almost mandatory to own one.

We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 10:48:43 PM »

I've seen wireless mics in far worse condition at some schools.
The one in your picture at least still has a somewhat round shape to the grill!
I've seen worse in bars.  Plus the aroma of cigarettes and beer.   :o

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 03:24:46 AM »

At a venue I used to work at, they had a '58 that had been snapped clean in two. Nobody knows how.
Sent it off to Shure, and they had no idea how, either.

My bet is a faulty casting led to a hairline crack through some/all of it, and then it just needed a shock.

The wiring was intact, so it still worked.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Scott Helmke

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 09:09:50 AM »

At a venue I used to work at, they had a '58 that had been snapped clean in two. Nobody knows how.

Not really that unusual - we've had two break like that.  The first one was returned to our shop in a case full of mic stand bases, the second was the one we dropped our 100 pound tape ball onto from 25 feet.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 09:09:50 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 26 queries.