ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Live PA..sub question .just tired of reading*  (Read 5645 times)

Dan Gutier

Live PA..sub question .just tired of reading*
« on: January 05, 2019, 01:14:53 AM »

I have been a long time reader but have never registered or ever posted anywhere. I do alot of reading . But this time i just could not find a definitive answer fo MY apecific needs/ application. So heres my question
We as a band( my 4 girks and myself including mom) are finally getting a pa system. Nothing fancy just enough for what we need. A pair of 12s and some 15s for subs.
I have the option of getting a BR cabinet or go with a bandpass cabinet. I need to know what will suit our needs
1. We are more a band than a dj. We offer dj services as a courtesy as we have the equipment and programs for it. My main concern is to sound good as a band ..dj is second
2. I want a tight punchy sound. Kick and bass along w perc running through system..keys and vocals as well.
3. Mainly top 40 and the occasional heavy synth patches and some sequences.
4 As far as dj..we just play what they want and nothing hard hitting again its a courtesy package we offer
5 i have an idea on the diferences of both sub box types but im just looking for a straight forward answer...i have read alot already and its mostly car audio.
5 Subs im looking at are the Alto ts215s powered sub(BR)
The other is a turbosound m15b (bandpass)
6. Why these 2? Simply put, Budget. The turbosound originally goes for 800 but is now 549 and the alto is 500
And im just trying to figure out what would be the beat choice for my application
All of ur responses are GREATLY appreciated as i am tired of looking :-[. Thanks!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Live PA..sub question .just tired of reading*
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 01:36:54 AM »

I have been a long time reader

Hi Dan, given that you're a longtime reader you must surely know that full names are required to post here.  Is "Sound" your actual last name?

Dan Gutier

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 01:38:15 AM »

Apologies.dod not know will change right now

Dan Gutier

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 01:43:28 AM »

First time on a forum. Unaware of the details but done ✔

Dan Gutier

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 01:50:59 AM »

Some say bandpass is a "one note" sub and BR is more "musical"... Considering the frequencies going to the sub, how musical can they get. It will be a kick and bass lines. I can understand the possible bass lines anything over the "E" string but is it much of a difference? Considering the playback music, well we just play what the consumer wants and the events  we do dont go over 250ppl. I just really want a tight punchy sound for the band.
Suggestions, thoughts?

Dan Gutier

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 01:58:59 AM »

Events we do are basically for the members of our church. I have a cloudy idea of the pros and cons of each. Sacrificing quality of sound for spl or vice versa but again this was all playback/ car audio or home theatre and doeant really apply to our situation. Rad reviews on both bjt 90% all dj input.

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 02:15:07 AM »

Bandpass vs BR.
 The reason bandpass often gets quoted as one note wonder is because they are a relatively difficult to design narrow bandwidth sub enclosure. Bad/mediocre designs only make this problem worse by having peaky freq. response to begin with or by having to use sliding HPF to protect the woofer making the bandwidth even narrower.

Musicality in the "first" octave range comes from having subs with low THD and flat frequency responses since you are then able to hear a better difference between the notes being played.

Punch really comes from the top cabinets in almost every sub-top system. But can be wildy influenced by the combination and deployment of your system so....
Have you already selected or do you own the 12 inch tops? If so, which one. This will also help us answer other questions you had better.

Depending on whether you have to get 250 people dancing on a dancefloor or can/should be on the background for certain people or events the kind of music is still important. 250 kids listening to Hip-hop have wildly different requirements for sound than playing piano music on the background at a wedding.

Edit: maybe not my place to say anything abou this. But you might wanna try to add more information to a single post instead of scattering information.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 02:19:19 AM by Joe Pieternella »

Dan Gutier

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 02:27:55 AM »

No problem. Again first time posting. Tops will be altos ts312 .

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 03:37:40 AM »

I would rather see you get one good sub, QSC 181, JBL PRX 718/818 or an EV ETX 18.

The Alto's,  while good at some things, the subs are way below par for a live band and barely adequate for basic DJ use.

I would worry less about the design type and more about the sound and quality of the sub.  How the designers achieve the sound is not relevant. 

If there is any way you can save more and get better tops you will be much happier.  Again,  those Alto tops are not up to the task to a live band as you describe.

The Yamaha DSR is the best 12" under a thousand on the market.  Sweetwater and ZZ Sound have 12 months same as cash to help you acquire the gear.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 03:42:34 AM »

Then between these two if those are your only options I would go with the alto.
First it has an integrated crossover for the tops. It is 9 kg less then the turbo and matching tops and subs just look better in my opinion. They are slightly larger though.

This is based on simple spec checking. Are you open to other suggestions

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 03:42:34 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 26 queries.