ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable racks  (Read 9576 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Re: Portable racks
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 06:36:12 PM »

Void is fine as far as I know, it's Drew Curtis who is a member of this board. I have not bought anything from him but have spoken back and forth with him over other stuff. They are just coming on line with pre-orders.

The company I'm avoiding is OCD labs. It's a shame, too because they make really nice fly racks. I own a couple but won't order from them ever again. I'd offer to sell you mine but they are 1U racks.

I've got to go check out the SKB stuff at NAMM, I haven't seen them close up, yet.

VER rolled their own nice solution for fly racks, as well, but they weren't selling them last time I spoke to a rep. They have 1U racks with an additional try insert for handheld and belt pack TX for their wireless rentals. They can ship out 2 channels of Axient in a pelican case.

https://www.ver.com/product/shure-axient-digital-dual-package/

I'm trying to devise a similar setup for my Lectrosonics Duet and Venue2 rentals. I'd prefer not to have to learn woodworking to get it done.

Thanks, Tim. A few places do these sort of "rack in a case" deals. SKB, Circle 3, Void, etc. Probably what I'll end up with. The SKB, while inexpensive, isn't customizable, so the rails are where the rails are. I could probably drill them out, but that's ugly.
Your experiences with the Void company sound like it's one company to A-void, or are you saying they were good, it was a DIFFERENT company that you had trouble with?
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 12:30:43 AM »

VER rolled their own nice solution for fly racks, as well...
Those are OCD Labs racks, also for the quad packs.

See here.

Jordan
<><
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 01:38:18 AM »

They are similar but there are a couple of key differences. The biggest difference is that the VER racks are designed to allow use of front mount antennas. I can't do that with my OCD racks, which is a huge pain.

Those are OCD Labs racks, also for the quad packs.

See here.

Jordan
<><
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 09:42:09 AM »

Here's a company that makes truly mil spec cases and racks.

https://www.ecscase.com/packaging-solutions/rackmount/

My uncle was a rep for them a while back and he gave me a bunch
of his old rep samples, mostly trunk style cases, you can say there built tough!!

I've switched to ECS rack cases in the last year.  Mil Spec.  Molded. Watertight if the lid gaskets are in good shape.  Not sure if they're lighter weight than my old R&R racks they replaced, but I believe so.  I use a 3u for each of my QSC PLD 4.5 amps, and the combined weight is about 50lbs. Still easy enough for me to lift solo.  The interlock stacking ability is great, I even made a flat dolly that mimics that feature. 

Shop around, surplus suppliers have them.  Just make sure they come with the racks, as these get pulled with the electronics some of the time when becoming surplus.

Also make sure you get them from the same series.  I've got "Legacy" series, which I think are the first design, there is also a 7000 and 8000 series.  The interlocking features molded into the cases are different, so you want to be sure to get the same.

They also come in different lengths(depths).  22" is smallest, and they go out to 30", without lids.  The rack space and depth are molded in on the inside of the main shell, ie., "3x24".

Some come with butterfly twist style latches, some a spring loaded straight pull kind of latch.

A shot of a couple of these in action with my mixer on top.

Best regards,

John

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 12:50:49 PM »

I've switched to ECS rack cases in the last year.  Mil Spec.  Molded. Watertight if the lid gaskets are in good shape.  Not sure if they're lighter weight than my old R&R racks they replaced, but I believe so.
They do look like a quality product, but I don't think they'll fit my requirement of lightweight and lidless, without exposed latches, etc.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 01:47:13 PM »

Your quest for the not made, unavailable and/or discontinued is almost 100%.

Are you sure your parents didn't first name you Quixote, and then changed to Andrew?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 01:56:30 PM »

They do look like a quality product, but I don't think they'll fit my requirement of lightweight and lidless, without exposed latches, etc.

What do you mean by lidless?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 01:58:46 PM »

They are similar but there are a couple of key differences. The biggest difference is that the VER racks are designed to allow use of front mount antennas. I can't do that with my OCD racks, which is a huge pain.

Hmm, I try and make my wireless cases have the antenna on the rear for a clearer view of the stage.

I finished building my new wireless rack into the new SKB 4u case and I like it.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 02:46:16 PM »

I need to build patch panels for the rear rails. I was trying to figure out how to do it without a bunch of insertion loss on the coax pass-through adapters, and I don't own coax crimping tools.

I was pondering building new racks that are shallow enough to expose the back of the units, but I fear 7" deep racks might be a bit tippy if stacked several units tall.

Hmm, I try and make my wireless cases have the antenna on the rear for a clearer view of the stage.

I finished building my new wireless rack into the new SKB 4u case and I like it.

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 02:55:57 PM »

I was trying to figure out how to do it without a bunch of insertion loss on the coax pass-through adapters, and I don't own coax crimping tools.

BNC bulkhead pass through connectors of good quality (think Pasternack), in good condition, have total insertion loss <0.5 dB.

Shure BNC male to panel mount female jumper cables in new condition have total insertion loss <0.3 dB.

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 02:55:57 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.