ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered light stand lifts  (Read 2298 times)

John Roll

Powered light stand lifts
« on: December 24, 2018, 09:44:38 AM »

I had an idea about an electric version of a hand crank stand.Being a weekend warrior,  I do the shows myself. Most of the time I have to crank down the stands one at a time. Occasionaly I get  Help from one of the bands. I was wondering if there was a way to motorize the crank stand using a small winch up some sort. Or is there something out there that I've missed searching for?

Thanks.
John
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: Powered light stand lifts
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 10:28:25 AM »

I had an idea about an electric version of a hand crank stand.Being a weekend warrior,  I do the shows myself. Most of the time I have to crank down the stands one at a time. Occasionaly I get  Help from one of the bands. I was wondering if there was a way to motorize the crank stand using a small winch up some sort. Or is there something out there that I've missed searching for?

Thanks.
John

Unless you find a winch rated at or below the rated capacity of the stand, don't even think about it.  A winch with a higher WLL (assuming no adjustable cluch mechanism) could overload the components of the stand, such as the pulley or its axle. A failure would likely cause the load to have an uncontrolled descent, and the stand is (probably) not designed to hold a dynamic shock load.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 06:09:03 PM »

They aren't cheap, but Genie makes a CO2 powered lift.  I think it goes to 18' and can lift a couple of hundred pounds.

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 07:28:56 PM »

I use some Ultimate Support TS-110BL stands that are air-powered and get up to about 9'.  I've never put more than 50lbs on them before but they are very sturdy.  Might help depending on what you're lifting, it's very quick to deploy.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 02:53:05 AM »

You don't want to make modifications to your stands. A calculation error or construction error could result in catastrophe.

Now, conceptually, putting a motorized winch in place of the hand crank one could work just fine.  You can find electric boat winches for under a hundred bucks.  However, again, I wouldn't recommend this as if something goes wrong, that's on you.  I doubt the boat winches have any sort of extra safety mechanisms in place in case of failure.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 02:53:05 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 22 queries.