ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Follow-up question regarding an unsafe venue  (Read 5098 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Follow-up question regarding an unsafe venue
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2019, 12:23:53 pm »

Google "Roger Boisjoly, Thiokol".  That man did everything he could to prevent that launch; he and his co-engineers were overruled by Thiokol who feared losing the NASA contract.  The boosters failed almost exactly as Boisjoly said they would.

I will look that up. Should be interesting.

The point I was trying to make is "it has worked OK so far" just doesn't cut it in the application of safety.
If we say something doesn't look safe and then continue to do the gig anyway, our credibility takes a hit.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2019, 12:38:02 pm »

I will look that up. Should be interesting.

The point I was trying to make is "it has worked OK so far" just doesn't cut it in the application of safety.
If we say something doesn't look safe and then continue to do the gig anyway, our credibility takes a hit.

Keith, that was part of Boisjoly's argument to Thiokol managers - just because we had a previous low-temperature launch that didn't explode should not be taken as an indication it was safe.  In fact, it was another Thiokol engineer that found the prior launch was moments from catastrophic failure when the boosters ran out of fuel and separated; this was what precipitated the engineering team's desperately trying to get the Challenger launch postponed.

Dr Tony Kern (another name to Google) lectures on the ethics of professionalism and uses a great deal of Boisjoly's story in presentations to aviation and aerospace professionals.  It was working with Dr Kern that brought Boisjoly's actions into focus for me.

Those interested in ethics as they apply to professionalism should consider Kern's "Going Pro:  The Deliberate Practice of Professionalism" as an addition to the bookshelf.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2019, 12:38:02 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.