ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Win7 hard disk problem warning  (Read 2779 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: Win7 hard disk problem warning
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 02:51:38 PM »

Be careful not just with SSD's but ant storage medium.

I find SSD's very reliable. I've got at least 75 computers at the hotel with SSD's and have had zero problems with them. So far, the SSD's are outlasting the computers. Windows machines. Can't comment on Macs. They seem to last a lot longer.
Exactly.

They may be improving over the years. 

In 2009 I started working with SSD in a professional capacity (as a UNIX/Linux consultant).  The SSDs were about 600MB capacity; they were on PCI cards which were installed on the mother-board of the computer.  The cards were used for temporary table space for several Oracle databases.  There would be thousands of reads/writes each day on the cards; they performed well.  The driver/software for the cards included a command option to view the anticipated remaining "life" of the card.  During the first year of use, the cards were down about 12% of their life.

David Allred

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 03:15:41 PM »

The seller hadn't shipped, so I upgraded the replacement to SSD.  I dropped from a 500gb hdd (smallest hdd offered) to a 240gb ssd for a minimal upcharge, but for this laptop's workload and storage needs, 240gb is overkill.  Besides Windows, 1gb is about all I would require for the MYDMX install and a lot of show files.  I think I'll time my boot time before and after. 
What kind of % improvement should I expect?
I might get one for my audio control laptop if an improvement is noteworthy.  It definitely has more programs loading at start-up.

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 07:12:04 PM »

What kind of % improvement should I expect?
I might get one for my audio control laptop if an improvement is noteworthy.  It definitely has more programs loading at start-up.

Just a guess but you will probably go from 40 seconds down to 14 seconds. Navigating windows will be much more fluid as well.

David Allred

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 08:22:56 AM »

Can you open up that details window and paste it here? It will give the info we probably need.

This is the first scan report.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2019, 10:01:50 PM »

Before this thread goes Zombie...

David, did the computer function correctly after running chkdsk?  Did you install the replacement drive and not see the error again?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Allred

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2019, 05:37:37 PM »

Before this thread goes Zombie...

David, did the computer function correctly after running chkdsk?  Did you install the replacement drive and not see the error again?
No better and couldn't risk a total failure.  Replaced the bad drive with an ssd.  The problem is gone. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2019, 07:37:27 PM »

Thanks for the update, David.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2019, 07:37:27 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.