ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chauvet Intimidator 260 gobo malfunction  (Read 2779 times)

Rick Powell

Chauvet Intimidator 260 gobo malfunction
« on: January 01, 2019, 11:19:16 PM »

We got three of these in September. Last night one of the units' gobo would rotate correctly in one direction, but would "skip" and be wobbly in the other direction and the beam thru the gobo appeared to be unfocused like the others. Mike Pyle (who we bought these from) suggested the gobos are user replaceable and asked if we'd checked to make sure they are all inserted correctly. We won't be able to get to them till tomorrow, but any other advice here? I've never opened up a mover before, and really don't know what to expect, but wanted to check for the obvious before we sent it back for warranty repair.

TIA.

David Allred

Re: Chauvet Intimidator 260 gobo malfunction
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 09:40:07 AM »

We got three of these in September. Last night one of the units' gobo would rotate correctly in one direction, but would "skip" and be wobbly in the other direction and the beam thru the gobo appeared to be unfocused like the others. Mike Pyle (who we bought these from) suggested the gobos are user replaceable and asked if we'd checked to make sure they are all inserted correctly. We won't be able to get to them till tomorrow, but any other advice here? I've never opened up a mover before, and really don't know what to expect, but wanted to check for the obvious before we sent it back for warranty repair.

TIA.

Wobbly, skippy, and out of focus... sounds like the "disc / wheel" has "a screw loose".  The distance the gobo is from the light source is critical for focus.  Does the focus change as the tilt of the head does?

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 05:27:10 PM »

My thoughts are in line with David’s - something’s either loose or encountering too much resistance and being pushed.  The skipping makes me think it’s a gear issue.  Does the light refocus when you rotate back in the non-out of focus direction? 

What to expect when opening a moving light?  Lots of moving parts with varying degrees of tight tolerances.  An Intimidator 260 shouldn’t be bad compared to more fully-equipped units, but make sure you take care of where all the screws go and don’t drop them down into the guts of the unit!  Don’t over or undertighten things during reassembly either.  Good luck!

Rick Powell

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 05:29:32 PM »

Wobbly, skippy, and out of focus... sounds like the "disc / wheel" has "a screw loose".  The distance the gobo is from the light source is critical for focus.  Does the focus change as the tilt of the head does?

When I took it apart the gobo wheel belt and gears all appear OK, but somehow the outer lens got jammed where it is cross threaded at an angle and won’t turn. The lens assembly and holder comes off with 3 screws but the lens holder is plastic, and looks like it might break if I try to force it too much to unscrew it off the threads of the lens assembly.

UPDATE- I was able to pop the lens back in position without breaking the housing. Did a manual mode check and the gobo appears to rotate correctly in both directions.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 05:53:47 PM by Rick Powell »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 06:00:33 PM »

Glad to hear you got it fixed!  Are you sure that was the only thing wrong though?  A misaligned lens will certainly cause a focus issue but shouldn’t cause wobble/skippy gobos.  Is this a fixed lens, or does it move and share common moving components with the gobo wheel (concentric shafts for instance)?  Does the lens physically sit very close to the gobo wheel in the fixture?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 07:31:27 PM »

How are the units transported? A bump to the wrong place might jam a treaded part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rick Powell

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 11:38:07 PM »

Glad to hear you got it fixed!  Are you sure that was the only thing wrong though?  A misaligned lens will certainly cause a focus issue but shouldn’t cause wobble/skippy gobos.  Is this a fixed lens, or does it move and share common moving components with the gobo wheel (concentric shafts for instance)?  Does the lens physically sit very close to the gobo wheel in the fixture?

I think the perceived skippiness might have been the optics thru the angle of the misaligned outer lens. I couldn't replicate any wobbliness once I snapped the outer lens back in place. It was still out of focus, but the internal focus command took care of that. The gobo is far away from where the outer lens was shoved in, and as I said, all the gears and belts, as well as the gobo mount itself, all appeared to be intact and in like new condition.

How are the units transported? A bump to the wrong place might jam a treaded part.

They were inside a road case, but I hadn't had time to put in dividers and foam, and they were in some old carry-bags that I had, inside the case. Something must have smacked that lens in transit, or at the last gig before it got hung on the truss. I will definitely have the dividers and foam in the case before the next time the movers are transported.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 11:46:16 PM by Rick Powell »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 11:38:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.