ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone heard of or used HRA Audio speakers?  (Read 5354 times)

Richard Penrose

Anyone heard of or used HRA Audio speakers?
« on: January 01, 2019, 03:49:18 PM »

Hi,
Has anyone on here heard of or used anything by this new U.K. company HRA loudspeakers?

HRA Loudspeakers - Home | Facebook

They appear to make higher end systems for corporate AV work using Powersoft Digimod amps and BMS drivers. For example, one of their smaller systems (12" subs and 8" tops) uses Powersoft Digimod 2000HV amp modules and BMS 12N630 drivers in the subs and BMS 8C250 coaxial drivers in the tops all in 18mm birch cabinets. I've only come across one user of this small system who was originally considering an RCF Evox 12 and he said the HRA System has far higher output and bass response which sounds pretty impressive as the RCF system uses 15" subs compared to the HRA's 12" subs! The HRA system is naturally more expensive than the RCF though!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 04:20:33 PM by Richard Penrose »

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Anyone heard of or used HRA Audio speakers?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 09:17:55 PM »

Considering their most recent real post is from 2015, and no real news since, I wouldn't put much faith or thought into them. The Digipro series I believe is a more homologated commercial unit that can be used as OEM units. I.E. an off the shelf component that is user configurable to be an OEM offering.

Considering the component selection, it appears to me to be more of a failed marketing attempt by HRA? All the components are off the shelf units with the exception of the box that it is all put in. Not that the product is bad, but just not well known ( at all...... ) and not really being a truly unique and bespoke product.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Richard Turner

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 09:56:48 AM »

All I see is press releases to trade magazines from 2014. I'd treat it as any dead stock or direct from china goods, will work till it doesn't than you'll have to mess about to repair it on your own dime.

Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 12:42:02 PM »

Looks to me like reasonable stuff, but with no updates from the company I'd only buy it as if it was a complete DIY system. ie, if anything fails, it's up to you to figure out replacement parts.

If I was in the market for what's on offer, I'd be interested for sure. Looks like decent drivers in sensibly-designed cabinets with good amplification and processing.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Rory Buszka

• Gearmonger
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 08:02:48 PM »

The link from one of the articles to the web site leads nowhere. That's all the sign you need that they aren't around anymore and to move on.
Friends don't let friends mix a band from the stage.

The expert in anything was once a beginner.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 07:08:05 AM »

How much would you say this PA is worth?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 07:35:01 AM »

I'm guessing HRA came and went like this....

A local guy with a following for designing and building good speakers decided to try and take it to the next level and go into full production and for what ever reason it did not take off.

It looks like he put out a decently built product with good parts, how they sound would tell the rest.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 03:40:34 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 09:26:56 AM »

How much would you say this PA is worth?

If we're talking about the one I can see on eBay, not the asking price IMO.
What will the ROI be like? Is your business crying out for a system of that particular format? Can you handle the lack of tech support?

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Richard Penrose

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 03:27:51 PM »

Yes I'm talking about the one on eBay at the moment which has been reduced to £1500. Apparently it cost £4500 new?

I don't mind if the company still exists as the parts are readily available and there are good tech engineers here that could take care of any repairs if necessary. I'm more interested to know how this system would compare to my Yamaha DXR15/QSC KW181 system. I know it's possible to make very high powered small systems that sound fantastic as I've used the KV2 EX6/EX1.2 and Nexo PS8 LS400 and PS10 LS600 systems. Also, I played at a large reggae/dub festival with around 2000 people and the FOH used multibple 12" subs that sounded incredible!

Ideally I'd love a system that can match my DXR15/QSC KW181 system but be much smaller and lighter. However, I can't afford the Nexo or KV2 systems and am curious about this HRA system.
On a different note I may end up sticking with the KW181's and trying out the upcoming RCF HDP45a tops.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 04:11:31 AM »

I don't think a good 8" coaxial will beat a half-decent 15" 2-way. The 8" will have lower efficiency and less power handling.
Same goes for the 12", although the QSC KW181 isn't the best example of an 18" subwoofer.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Richard Penrose

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 06:15:14 PM »

I don't think a good 8" coaxial will beat a half-decent 15" 2-way. The 8" will have lower efficiency and less power handling.
Same goes for the 12", although the QSC KW181 isn't the best example of an 18" subwoofer.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Yes I think I’m expecting too much from the HRA system though I have heard some amazing 12” subs that at least match the KW181’s if not out perform them (though they are more than double the price)!
The RCF HDP45’s and QSC KW181’s should make a pretty competent system for my line of work though I’m needing the KW181’s much less these days! For a high percentage of my work I’m just using the DXR15’s and am tempted to just replace those with something like the HRA system. I would imagine the HA system would outperform the DXR15’s!?

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 03:45:18 AM »

Purely theoretically, I'd expect the HRA system to be capable of similar LF output, but lag way behind in the 150-500Hz range - ie, right where there's a lot of energy in live music. There's no replacement for displacement.
For playback, I'd be happy with either, probably erring on the side of the HRA system. Seems like a lot of money to spend on something where you already have that job covered, though.

Which 12" subs will beat a KW181? Genuinely curious. While the KW181 isn't fantastic IMO, it does get very loud in the 60-80Hz range.
Actually, a 12" 55Hz tapped horn will probably do it...
Hmm. Time to run some simulations.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Richard Penrose

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 08:53:22 AM »

Thanks Chris. I find the KW181's more than enough for the work I'm doing but I just don't need them that often anymore. I am going to try the upcoming RCF HDP45a's when they are released as they could potentially give me an upgrade over the DXR15's whilst still being and simple 2 box setup and lighter!
Ideally I'd love a KV2 EX6 over EX1.2 system or a Shermann Blue-Acoustic system but these are in a completely different budget!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 08:53:22 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.