ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub upgrade, anyone using PRX818XLFW?  (Read 5229 times)

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
Re: Sub upgrade, anyone using PRX818XLFW?
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 03:00:13 PM »

I have owned and operated both the KW181 and the PRX718XLF.  I am happy to report that both subs are superb, especially for the price point.

The JBL PRX718XLF, in my experience, go a little louder and lower, but are larger and do not come with wheels.  It also can hi-pass the through connections at 80Hz, 24dB/octave.

The KW181 are smaller and, in my experience, do not seem to go quite as low and loud, but to my ears seem tighter.  These cannot provide hi-pass on the through connections.  They do come with the wheels and poles, which is handy.

I kept my PRX718XLF because they work flawlessly as a system with my PRX tops.  My church uses a KW181/KW153 system that sounds fantastic.  I would be happy to use either.  My $0.02 - since you have QSC tops, go with the KW181.  They sound very good together.

Scott Gaines

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 03:16:09 PM »

I have owned and operated both the KW181 and the PRX718XLF.  I am happy to report that both subs are superb, especially for the price point.

The JBL PRX718XLF, in my experience, go a little louder and lower, but are larger and do not come with wheels.  It also can hi-pass the through connections at 80Hz, 24dB/octave.

The KW181 are smaller and, in my experience, do not seem to go quite as low and loud, but to my ears seem tighter.  These cannot provide hi-pass on the through connections.  They do come with the wheels and poles, which is handy.

I kept my PRX718XLF because they work flawlessly as a system with my PRX tops.  My church uses a KW181/KW153 system that sounds fantastic.  I would be happy to use either.  My $0.02 - since you have QSC tops, go with the KW181.  They sound very good together.
I prefer the JBL's, but agree that for you the QSC makes more sense so you have a matching rig.

Steve Garris

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 02:27:22 PM »

I too have used both systems. While I own the JBL's, I have no trouble mixing at a club that has the KW181's and K12's for tops.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 03:43:00 PM »

I own the PRX's and I have used both. They are both excellent subs and you could go either way and be happy after considering all the points made. If I already owned K tops however, I'd probably be tempted to go KW181.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 03:47:04 PM »

The KW181's sound like one note wonders to me. They have lots of output, but it just seems to all be in a very small range of frequencies. They are punchy, but of course all within that small range. DJ's love them, I could live without them.

The measurements this guy shows appear to support your opinion.

http://www.audiomeasurements.com/?p=4048

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 05:51:19 PM »

Luis,  I too would like to know how the C212's stack up with those popular models.

Hey Scott, just in case you haven't seen this.....
https://data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=142

I so wish the popular pro subs would find their way to his site....it's the sub reference par excellence IMO

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 09:41:29 AM »

Hey Scott, just in case you haven't seen this.....
https://data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=142

I so wish the popular pro subs would find their way to his site....it's the sub reference par excellence IMO

Agreed.
Also worth noting that Josh's measurements are usually at 2m, so you'll have to normalise to get SPL @1m for comparison.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Pat Cognitore

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 06:26:38 PM »

In case the OP or anyone else is interested, there are some decent discounts on the JBL stuff right now, including the PRX and SRX subs.

http://www.proaudiostar.com/landing/jbl-sale.html

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Scott Gaines

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 06:31:24 PM »

In case the OP or anyone else is interested, there are some decent discounts on the JBL stuff right now, including the PRX and SRX subs.

http://www.proaudiostar.com/landing/jbl-sale.html

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Wow, those are GOOD prices. But Hell, with those prices, I'd buy the 1500W VRX subs.

Scott Bower

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 08:26:56 PM »

Well just ordered a pair of KW181. Advice here seemed to be evenly split between the 2 but the size of the JBL(I usually work alone) and the "keep it all QSC" thing tipped the scales. I have heard them many times and I know they'll get the job done.
JBL prices are pretty good now but price wasn't the primary concern. Thanks to all who offered advice on this.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 08:26:56 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.