ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub upgrade, anyone using PRX818XLFW?  (Read 5226 times)

Richard Penrose

Re: Sub upgrade, anyone using PRX818XLFW?
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 04:19:03 AM »

I find this debate between the PRX 818-XLF and KW181 pretty interesting as opinions on these subs can be total opposites. When I was looking to buy I spoke to a few guys who owned them over here and their opinion was the JBL’s went a little deeper but were a little boomy and muddy and the KW181’s went a little louder, sounded clearer and punchier. I know a few local companies who use the KW181’s as part of their smaller rigs that love them. I’ve also had some very experienced engineers comment on how good they thought the KW181’s sounded. I’m definitely not getting the one note wonder here with mine?

Scott Bolt

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 03:24:24 PM »

I have a neighbor down the street that has a system with KW181's and I have a system with PRX618S-XLF's.

Comparing the two subs side by side (using a multi-track feed of a gig going back through the original digital mixer that recorded it), my ear said that the JBL sounded "cleaner" and "less cluttered" than the KW.

That being said, if I already had QSC tops, I would absolutely go with the QSC subs (though not the KSUB :) ).

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 05:03:52 PM »

I have a neighbor down the street that has a system with KW181's and I have a system with PRX618S-XLF's.

Comparing the two subs side by side (using a multi-track feed of a gig going back through the original digital mixer that recorded it), my ear said that the JBL sounded "cleaner" and "less cluttered" than the KW.

That being said, if I already had QSC tops, I would absolutely go with the QSC subs (though not the KSUB :) ).

Yes Scott- I was able to compare the 2 years ago and also preferred the PRX (hence why I have them). The PRX sounded 'bigger' and deeper to me. I agree with you though as I stated before if I already had QSC, I'd stick with them as the difference is very slight and opinions are split.It's all a matter of taste...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 05:03:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.