ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: White rust removal from ST132 or similar  (Read 1658 times)

David Allred

White rust removal from ST132 or similar
« on: January 09, 2019, 08:21:54 PM »

Has anyone had success removing the white rust from the galvanized rods, tubes, and other components, that does not also create a condition that would make the rust return even quicker?  These are only used inside, but are stored in an an uninsulated storage shed. 
Assuming I can get it removed, what should I used to prevent it.

Thanks.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
Re: White rust removal from ST132 or similar
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 10:27:02 PM »

Has anyone had success removing the white rust from the galvanized rods, tubes, and other components, that does not also create a condition that would make the rust return even quicker?  These are only used inside, but are stored in an an uninsulated storage shed. 

Thanks.

Hi David,
I have the same lifts and although I've only encountered that once when I left my lifts in a more damp area overnight, I've used some mild 3M scotch pads (similar to ones used on kitchen utensils/plates) worked it down just enough to remove the white residue/calcium deposits on the bare metal and then a lite coat of WD40 on a rag and wiped it down to act as a barrier to keep the rust from forming.

Again, I only did this once and they are still looking great. It's been over a year with no issues.

-Sam
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

David Allred

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 10:04:55 AM »

Hi David,
I have the same lifts and although I've only encountered that once when I left my lifts in a more damp area overnight, I've used some mild 3M scotch pads (similar to ones used on kitchen utensils/plates) worked it down just enough to remove the white residue/calcium deposits on the bare metal and then a lite coat of WD40 on a rag and wiped it down to act as a barrier to keep the rust from forming.

Again, I only did this once and they are still looking great. It's been over a year with no issues.

-Sam

Mine are about 8 yrs old and looking pretty powdery.  When the locking pins snap in they usually puff. :)

Taylor Hall

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 10:59:40 AM »

Just knock it down with a bristle brush or scotch brite pad. You'd have to go at it with a wire wheel to really do any damage unless the coating is already gone in which case the rust you'd be battling would not be white. ;)
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 05:38:53 PM »

Thanks.

Not sure about galvanized rods but I have used Quick-Glo on chrome and steel and it works very well.
It has a mild abrasive and a wax combination to help protect from rust returning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7TnNEBy3tI

https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Glo-Chrome-Cleaner-ouces/dp/B008ZRHAEE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1547245873&sr=8-3&keywords=quick+glo

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 05:38:53 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 25 queries.