ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about 2.4 GHz  (Read 3553 times)

Steve Garris

Question about 2.4 GHz
« on: December 31, 2018, 03:15:16 PM »

I have a guitar player using one of these: https://goo.gl/EeR5Zv

He can't get very far from the stage without it cutting out, especially if the place is crowded. I don't know much about this stuff, but I assume it's due to all of the cell phones and wifi signals in the room.

I mentioned this to him, and he asked about my access point for my iPad remote mixer. It is an APE running dual 2.4 and 5 GHz. He wanted to know if it would cause interference when I place it on stage along with his wireless. I didn't know the answer to this, nor could I explain why my unit doesn't drop out as much as his does (mine is dual 2.4 5 and his is 2.4 only).

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
Re: Question about 2.4 GHz
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 04:53:49 PM »

Your access point could be causing a problem. But you could switch it over to 5G only and at least eliminate one potential problem.
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 06:08:15 PM »

He can't get very far from the stage without it cutting out, especially if the place is crowded. I don't know much about this stuff, but I assume it's due to all of the cell phones and wifi signals in the room.

I mentioned this to him, and he asked about my access point for my iPad remote mixer. It is an APE running dual 2.4 and 5 GHz. He wanted to know if it would cause interference when I place it on stage along with his wireless. I didn't know the answer to this, nor could I explain why my unit doesn't drop out as much as his does (mine is dual 2.4 5 and his is 2.4 only).

There may be one (or more) of several things going on here:

The 2.4 GHz band is only 100 MHz vs. almost 600 MHz available in the 5 GHz Wi-Fi range, and those 100 MHz are shared with many different uses (Bluetooth, microwave ovens, amateur radio, wireless audio, etc., etc.) while you're unlikely to run into anything other than Wi-Fi in the 5 GHz Wi-Fi band, and with all that additional space the chances of being able to find a usable 5 GHz Wi-Fi channel are much higher.

Next, dropped Wi-Fi packets tend to be less noticeable than dropped audio packets. Depending on your app and the technology it uses, a dropped package may even end up being automatically retransmitted, producing a delayed but still usable experience, which doesn't work for real-time audio unless you have something that will do negative delay (and if you do, Einstein would like to have a word with you...).

Running your APE in dual-band mode likely isn't helping your guitar player's chances, but even in 5 GHz-only mode it could still cause the guitar player problems if it's located near the guitar receiver, depending partly on the quality (technically the selectivity) of the receiver. Of course both 2.4 and 5 GHz operate best with line-of-sight between transmitter and receiver.

Speaking of quality: as with all things in our industry, not all 2.4 GHz wireless is created equally. Line 6 for example, despite its poor performance as compared to non-ISM-band wireless microphones, goes to astonishing lengths to try and squeeze as much reliability as possible from some seriously congested spectrum, including true frequency diversity (which is expensive to find even in serious pro-level gear). The system you linked to is cheap enough that I'd almost expect reliability issues.

-Russ

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 08:21:56 PM »

You get what you pay for... an $85 wireless is too cheep.  Be happy if you get 5'.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 11:40:01 AM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Brian Hancock

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 09:10:31 PM »

You get what you pay for... an $85 wireless is too cheep.  Pe happy if you get 5'.

+1 ... I actually think the spectrum crunch, while it will and has made the lives of professional tours, large shows, corporates more difficult it's also going to highlight how much "stuff" is out there ... as much as they make on prosumer or lower level gear I kinda wish manufacturers would simply say X  is our lowest line this is its cost and we wont make anything else ... get a 50 ft cable ... will sound better and work 50% of the time every time (sound guy controls other 50%)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 02:17:19 AM »

+1 ... I actually think the spectrum crunch, while it will and has made the lives of professional tours, large shows, corporates more difficult it's also going to highlight how much "stuff" is out there ... as much as they make on prosumer or lower level gear I kinda wish manufacturers would simply say X  is our lowest line this is its cost and we wont make anything else ... get a 50 ft cable ... will sound better and work 50% of the time every time (sound guy controls other 50%)
I have keyboard players that use wireless IEM's.  No matter how much I talk to him he won't change. 

He trusts me to put filters on his patches but not his, hilarious.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 07:07:04 AM »

You get what you pay for... an $85 wireless is too cheep.  Pe happy if you get 5'.
Agreed!

The "problem" here is not spending enough money and the solution is ....spend more money ;)
This type of cheap wireless might work OK if the player stays on stage, other wise, get better RF equipment.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

John L Nobile

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 10:58:21 AM »

Most guitar players I know spend a lot of time and money on their "sound". Always made me scratch my head when I see one with a cheap wireless or a cheap cable. Those ones need to stop listening with their knees.

And I have no explanation for the ones that show up with expensive vintage Fender/Gibson guitars and amps and ask you for a cable. ????

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 11:26:27 AM »

And singers who only own that one piece of equipment - yet insist on using wireless and refuse to invest in anything more than entry level crap. Then it becomes my job to try and get it to 1) work properly and 2) sound good.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 01:31:17 PM »

So I clicked on the link to the wireless do-dad and now I'm getting %#$#@^^$ ads for it from Sweetwater!  I hate the internet sometimes. >:(
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 01:31:17 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.