ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rock-N-Roller carts  (Read 5796 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: Rock-N-Roller carts
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 10:36:36 AM »

Thank you all for the responses! 

Well, looks like rock-n-roller may not be the best choice.  Like some of you, I do pack things on top of the subs and other cases (that have casters); works well, but I guess I was looking for something more streamlined for the one-offs.  Hmm... broken bolts - not good.

Thanks for the Magliner and Kartmaster links!  I'm re-evaluating now.

Jay Marr

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 11:19:24 AM »

A cheaper alternative to the professional grade:
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/super-brute-900-lb-convertible-dual-purpose-hand-truck-green/184122.ip

I bought this one (but blue) on Craigslist for 40 bucks, just because it was cheap and close to me.
Absolutely love it.  My band mate has a Rock-n-Roller cart, and this is definitely a higher quality build.

Only thing I like about the Rock-n-Roller carts is that some of them have both sides with 2-3 foot high rails, so you can pack high.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 12:40:16 PM »

Anyone using (or have used) the Rock-n-roller Multi-carts?  Looking for something more efficient to move heavy "one offs" of equipment boxes and assorted other boxes.  I use a 2-wheeler for some equipment and have assorted casters that are placed under other boxes.

The 2-wheeler and casters are doing fine, but would like something that can take a lot more gear in one "move".  Came across the Rock-n-roller - looks like it may work, but I'm always suspicious of ads.  Need something somewhat durable.

Thanks.

Not all rock n roller carts are equal. Really depends which model you buy. Small wheels will not roll in gravel.  Of course neither will most caster wheels.

We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 04:41:59 PM »

I picked this one up several years ago (a good deal cheaper back then) when I needed something to haul Medium/Large Taiko Drums around for my son’s Taiko group.  Although quite heavy on it’s own, it’s been solid as a rock. One year, left it outside to the elements all winter long (Northeast).  But with a shot of WD40 (rust removal), some Lithium Grease and air in the tires, it just continues to work.

Milwaukee Hand Truck
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Luis_Marquez

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 04:55:20 PM »

I bought the R16 locally for light to medium loads, varying terrain and light transport. Med/light gauge welded frame, plastic wheels on rubber threads.As someone suggested, great for band/bar/dj use. Definitely go with larger caster wheels, and flat free large diameter tires. Pneumatic tires are nice but a hassle to maintain with varying temperatures and unexpected loss of pressure..

For long term solution, I would definitely go with the magliner with flat free wheels. Nice aluminum channel framing, available accessories. For lower cost , their are other brand convertible hand trucks from sams club, Milwaukee, Cosco, etc..

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 02:06:33 PM »

Anyone using (or have used) the Rock-n-roller Multi-carts?  Looking for something more efficient to move heavy "one offs" of equipment boxes and assorted other boxes.  I use a 2-wheeler for some equipment and have assorted casters that are placed under other boxes.

The 2-wheeler and casters are doing fine, but would like something that can take a lot more gear in one "move".  Came across the Rock-n-roller - looks like it may work, but I'm always suspicious of ads.  Need something somewhat durable.

Thanks.

Going through somewhat of the same situation with regard to equipment moving at load-in load-out.  Setting back up for sound reinforcement, and DJ systems.  My past experience was a very diverse range of settings.  I won't attempt to recommend anything, but share some of what I have encountered in days past.  Doing DJ systems in halls, outdoor gazebos at houses and ranches as well as a myriad of audio jobs from bands in clubs, halls, ballrooms, outdoors at water parks, rodeo's, and of course 4th of July jobs on the infield of a race track.

Varying distances and terrains are what I'm preparing for this time around.  3" swivel casters under racks work great many times - but not at the rodeo.  That can be said for any method.  Whatever you roll with, there's always the job where the stage is 150' from the closest access point you can park the truck and invariably there will be one, two, three steps to ascent somewhere along the trail.  Or a trip into the back of a convention center, a walk through the kitchen that's busy preparing the food for the event, up the freight elevator and to the ballroom.

Then, there's the double booked and borrowed/rented additional gear you need to bring in to supplement your inventory from time to time - could be a follow spot, generator, popcorn machine - who knows.

My point is I'm setting up with hand trucks, carts and doing less with casters on the racks.  For events that have good access, casters on racks and speakers is a good way to go, lay them on their side in the truck.  But for other conditions, other solutions can be optimal.

Then, you have scenario of a bunch of stuff piled onto a cart and run into the two steps at the door - again, it boils down to where one is planning on doing the majority of the work.  For me in the past, in most cases casters on racks worked out well.  For a small PA I built for neighborhood association meetings I use a 50" long cart with 8" wheels under it.  Why?  The whole system fits on the cart, and concrete walkways the 100' of so into the room from truck.  Load cart up, strap it down, lock up truck and walk to room in one trip.

No argument on any system of movement - I keep them all in my bag of tricks.  The DJ system desk is a fold up type ADJ systems.  To save setup and teardown time, I am putting it together and pop riveting it permanently and will move it in and out fully assembled - for that the cart is the way to go for me on that job.

The flat cart I use is steel.  Modified for my use in my shop.  IO carpeted, changed 4” to 8” wheels (2 fixed, 2 swivel) and D rings down the sides & ends to attach web straps to that store wrapped around the handle,

Also of consideration, as has been mention is available space in truck/trailer.

So many things to think about.  :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 05:39:55 PM by Steven A. White »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 09:15:01 AM »

Why spend money on "specialized" audio carts. Home depot has 140 choices including "Magliner", and they'll match the lowest price with free delivery most of the time.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Storage-Organization-Moving-Supplies-Hand-Trucks/N-5yc1vZchn9

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ken Braziel

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 10:39:06 AM »

Why spend money on "specialized" audio carts. Home depot has 140 choices including "Magliner", and they'll match the lowest price with free delivery most of the time.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Storage-Organization-Moving-Supplies-Hand-Trucks/N-5yc1vZchn9

Heh, instantly spotted the Costco one we've been using for years (except we got ours before they went to solid "flat free" tires, guess there was a recall issue with the tires on mine but never had an issue) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cosco-1000-lb-3-In-1-Aluminum-Assisted-Hand-Truck-with-Flat-Free-Wheels-12312ABL1E/205035247

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 09:16:36 PM »

How can you beat a cart like that for $150??
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 09:25:56 PM »

A 24" x 48" garden wagon with drop-down/removeable sides (to make a flatbed) can work well over grass and gravel.  It has a relatively high center of gravity, however.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 09:25:56 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 23 queries.