ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone heard of or used HRA Audio speakers?  (Read 5440 times)

Richard Penrose

Re: Anyone heard of or used HRA Audio speakers?
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 06:15:14 PM »

I don't think a good 8" coaxial will beat a half-decent 15" 2-way. The 8" will have lower efficiency and less power handling.
Same goes for the 12", although the QSC KW181 isn't the best example of an 18" subwoofer.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Yes I think I’m expecting too much from the HRA system though I have heard some amazing 12” subs that at least match the KW181’s if not out perform them (though they are more than double the price)!
The RCF HDP45’s and QSC KW181’s should make a pretty competent system for my line of work though I’m needing the KW181’s much less these days! For a high percentage of my work I’m just using the DXR15’s and am tempted to just replace those with something like the HRA system. I would imagine the HA system would outperform the DXR15’s!?

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 03:45:18 AM »

Purely theoretically, I'd expect the HRA system to be capable of similar LF output, but lag way behind in the 150-500Hz range - ie, right where there's a lot of energy in live music. There's no replacement for displacement.
For playback, I'd be happy with either, probably erring on the side of the HRA system. Seems like a lot of money to spend on something where you already have that job covered, though.

Which 12" subs will beat a KW181? Genuinely curious. While the KW181 isn't fantastic IMO, it does get very loud in the 60-80Hz range.
Actually, a 12" 55Hz tapped horn will probably do it...
Hmm. Time to run some simulations.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Richard Penrose

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 08:53:22 AM »

Thanks Chris. I find the KW181's more than enough for the work I'm doing but I just don't need them that often anymore. I am going to try the upcoming RCF HDP45a's when they are released as they could potentially give me an upgrade over the DXR15's whilst still being and simple 2 box setup and lighter!
Ideally I'd love a KV2 EX6 over EX1.2 system or a Shermann Blue-Acoustic system but these are in a completely different budget!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 08:53:22 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.