ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: What did Grover say?  (Read 3960 times)

Lyle Williams

What did Grover say?
« on: December 30, 2018, 03:27:22 AM »

Another one that shows how our perceptions work.

I can hear either version of the dialogue, just depending on which one I have in my mind at the time.

http://amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2018/12/28/did-grover-drop-the-f-bomb-on-sesame-street-the-internet-isnt-so-sure

https://youtu.be/qyKuGq_1xAY

Personally, I just think he was having a bad day on set.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: What did Grover say?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 08:46:29 AM »

Another one that shows how our perceptions work.

I can hear either version of the dialogue, just depending on which one I have in my mind at the time.

http://amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2018/12/28/did-grover-drop-the-f-bomb-on-sesame-street-the-internet-isnt-so-sure

https://youtu.be/qyKuGq_1xAY

Personally, I just think he was having a bad day on set.

Sure sounds like he dropped the F* bomb.

It's probably just a matter of time before "those" words find their way onto the TV frequencies.  With the (now common), "WTF" showing up in the background on some shows (usually on posters in a teenagers room), the assortment of "bad" words will become not-so-bad.

For a good documentary on where we are headed as a society, I highly recommend a movie titled "Idiocracy".

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 10:34:56 AM »

For a good documentary on where we are headed as a society, I highly recommend a movie titled "Idiocracy".
Not quite a documentary which implies that something already happened. "Idiocracy" like other good science fiction makes a fair prediction of one possible future.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 11:33:03 AM »

I also hear both depending on what I am expecting each time...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Lyle Williams

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 02:09:54 PM »

It's probably just a matter of time before "those" words find their way onto the TV frequencies..

TV is over.  The viewers are gone and the money is gone.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 03:58:28 PM »

Because the creativity is (has been) gone.
Steve Swaffer

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 10:55:15 PM »

Tell that to Netfilx.  Or Amazon.  Or Hulu.  Or Disney with their new streaming service coming out.  Or YouTube. 
Or any of the four major Broadcast Networks (who are each making a nice profit off of leasing our public airways). 

None of them will agree.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 04:33:36 AM »

Netflix/Prime/Hulu/Youtube  ***ARE*** the things that are killing TV.

I have a houseful of screens, none of which ever display VHF/UHF broadcast TV anymore.

David Allred

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 09:52:45 AM »

Because the creativity is (has been) gone.

There is creativity, but only in certain areas... like driving an agenda.
For example... the new show runner for The Walking Dead has stated that all new relationships on the show will be inter-racial or same-sex. 

30 yrs ago, when I was in college, my English lit professor who was a former Hollywood screenwriter told us that the job of screenwriters was to push taboos until they no longer were taboo.   Man, I sound old!

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 08:58:32 PM »

Netflix/Prime/Hulu/Youtube  ***ARE*** the things that are killing TV.

I have a houseful of screens, none of which ever display VHF/UHF broadcast TV anymore.
And yet you watch those streaming services on televisions. 
Yes, the screens used to watch content have changed.  Yes, there is much more variety of ways to see content on said screens.  But it doesn't mean that it is dead or even dying.  It's just changing. 

Lyle Williams

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 02:41:58 PM »

Yes, Screen-based entertainment is booming!  I tried to count the number of screen devices under my roof that could play a video, and I got to 31 (it's a big family.)

Phones, ipads, ipods, laptops, desktops, and "TV's" (that aren't ever used for "TV")

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 03:53:29 AM »

Not quite a documentary which implies that something already happened. "Idiocracy" like other good science fiction makes a fair prediction of one possible future.

JR
It's an inverse documentary from the future, and follows the Terminator rules of time travel. Similarly to how the mythical magician Merlin ages in reverse.

FWIW, I've listened to the Grover clip several times on different mediums and all I hear is him saying the F word.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 01:37:38 PM »

Sure sounds like he dropped the F* bomb.

It's probably just a matter of time before "those" words find their way onto the TV frequencies.  With the (now common), "WTF" showing up in the background on some shows (usually on posters in a teenagers room), the assortment of "bad" words will become not-so-bad.

My 8 year old picked up the s word while in preschool. The kids are alright. Shakespeare used lewd language for his time. I'd much rather have strong language be normalized and not violence, but really want just new ideas and creativity on tv

David Allred

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 08:48:24 PM »

My 8 year old picked up the s word while in preschool. The kids are alright. Shakespeare used lewd language for his time. I'd much rather have strong language be normalized and not violence, but really want just new ideas and creativity on tv
>

I would prefer NOT picking one detrimental thing over another when it comes to kids, when that thing could be avoided with a little effort.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 09:09:57 PM »

It's an inverse documentary from the future, and follows the Terminator rules of time travel. Similarly to how the mythical magician Merlin ages in reverse.

FWIW, I've listened to the Grover clip several times on different mediums and all I hear is him saying the F word.

Which is hilarious because i can't MAKE myself here the F word.  I hear "That sounds like an Excellent Idea".  Can't even hear how it could be something else.

Perception is a weird thing....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 09:13:15 PM »

Yanni / Laurel all over again - LOL...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 09:16:44 PM »

And a different one..

brainstorm

scottstephens

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 10:49:03 AM »

All,

If you live in the country, there is no way you are using all streaming devices. I am 2 miles from town and Have to use satellite for everything.  No matter What the Government says, NOT unlimited  everyone has High Speed Internet.

Scott

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 11:22:52 AM »

All,

If you live in the country, there is no way you are using all streaming devices. I am 2 miles from town and Have to use satellite for everything.  No matter What the Government says, NOT unlimited  everyone has High Speed Internet.

Scott

glad i live in the city

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 11:49:16 AM »

All,

Scott

I live in a rural area and I stream everything...... I use cable.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 12:13:25 PM »

I live in a rural area and I stream everything...... I use cable.
We dont have cable service available in the rural area I live in. And DSL was limited to 512k down and 128k up. Then the company got sold, and they dropped the DSL service all together. They offered me dial up. In freaking 2018!

I have recently switched to a 4G hotspot from Verizon. It is just fast enough that I can stream Hulu and Amazon and YouTube, FINALLY. My old 512K DSL connection wouldn’t keep up and it would take 2 days to download large files, like the latest Protools version... AND it dropped the connection every time it rained.

It’s $70 per month and prepaid, but it is fully and actually unlimited, which is something that Verizon started doing with new prepaid hot spots a couple months ago apparently.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 12:26:40 PM »

All,

Scott

Actually "the government" makes no claim to universal access to high speed internet.  The Universal Service Fund is being tapped to extend more high speed capability to rural areas but as with most things, the implementation seems uneven and tends to ignore urban areas without access to DSL or cable TV providers.

A few years ago I was on my way to visit my mom in NW Oklahoma and noticed work crews along the highway, installing what looked like traffic control device enclosures... and on my return trip noticed they were marked as network equipment.  The rural TelCo was running fiber.

The TelCo originally served only the are labeled "District One" on the map and grew to provide POTS to the western and central areas on the map above.  Their expansion into eastern Oklahoma is fairly new and, I believe, digital-only service - data and VoIP.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 12:26:40 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.