ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: PC build for ppt presentations  (Read 5833 times)

Brian Hancock

PC build for ppt presentations
« on: December 29, 2018, 11:47:20 AM »

Any recommendations

Looking at updating a few year old machines vs new build.

I7 4770 quad core 3.9ghz
12 GB ram
Gtx 660
Dual ssd 6g sata
Windows 10 pro
Ppt 365

Worth upgrading video card to 1060 or 1070 or time to rebuild ... what's most important for stable ppt ... ram, video card power, processor etc.

need 3 outputs presentation, desktop and extended desktop.

Greg Bellotte

• SLC, UT
    • www.MambaFiber.com
Re: PC build for ppt presentations
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 05:55:07 PM »

I just built an Intel NUC (nuc8i7hvk-16gb ram-512gb ssd) for this very purpose. This unit has 2 HDMI, 2 DP, and 2 TB3 ports driven by a Radeon RX Vega M for plenty of monitor output combinations. I converted the 2 DP outputs to SDI for our video systems so you can have PPT presentation and desktop both available to video world. Also using a StreamDeck/Companion surface with USB over IP for remote slide control. Everything but the VHS size power brick fit very nicely on a 6" deep 1U rack shelf. Very happy :-)
timing is everything...

www.MambaFiber.com

Brian Hancock

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 12:53:09 PM »

I just built an Intel NUC (nuc8i7hvk-16gb ram-512gb ssd) for this very purpose. This unit has 2 HDMI, 2 DP, and 2 TB3 ports driven by a Radeon RX Vega M for plenty of monitor output combinations. I converted the 2 DP outputs to SDI for our video systems so you can have PPT presentation and desktop both available to video world. Also using a StreamDeck/Companion surface with USB over IP for remote slide control. Everything but the VHS size power brick fit very nicely on a 6" deep 1U rack shelf. Very happy :-)

Thanks greg, good to know I always follow your racks and work on fb ... well thought out powerful systems ...

Do you run two computers I unison for ppt? Cue clickers make it very easy ... we typically do ... and yes make all outputs sdi put into router then to atem very similar to what I'd imagine you do.

I like the remote usb idea and had done something similar with a kvm over ip at one point but not necessary currently.

Besides testing I'd love to know if ppt benefits at all from multiple threads ... seems ram and GPU are most important ...

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 04:36:13 PM »

...[N]eed 3 outputs presentation, desktop and extended desktop.
Unless something has changed, Powerpoint will only output separately to 2 displays - Main Presentation and Presenter View.

Also, if you change app focus (a la doing something else on the main desktop screen) during the presentation, Powerpoint will not keep scrolling or be triggered by a [typical] slide advancer.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Brian Hancock

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 08:19:07 PM »

Unless something has changed, Powerpoint will only output separately to 2 displays - Main Presentation and Presenter View.

Also, if you change app focus (a la doing something else on the main desktop screen) during the presentation, Powerpoint will not keep scrolling or be triggered by a [typical] slide advancer.

Yes correct ... however we have been in some situations where having 3 displays is useful

1. Op screen - notes page in presenter view
2. Pgm presenter view
3. Dsm this becomes a straight shot on smaller setups without a router ... you can switch between presenters if it's a duplicate of either 1 or 2 depending on presenter needs

Greg Bellotte

• SLC, UT
    • www.MambaFiber.com
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 12:57:13 PM »

Thanks greg, good to know I always follow your racks and work on fb ... well thought out powerful systems ...
Stop it...you're making me blush :-)

We have not to date ever run two computers for PPT. Knock on wood we've never had an issue. Then again we always get the PPT file ahead of time and run it thru to make sure it doesn't have issues. Biggest issue we see is creators not saving the file with embedded video content and having to get them add it. The PPT computer doesn't do ANYTHING else during the show (well the new NUC is also going to run a countdown timer on it's now 3rd output). Horsepower isn't everything I guess, we have one client insisting on using his 12 yr old MacBook for playout (CoreDuo...seriously...but NEVER argue with a CEO). Anyway I'd say computer requirement is content dependent. If you have a lot of video clips in the PPT file I'd say the bar needs to be higher, but for static text over background even the old MacBook is fine including internal PPT transitions. The new NUC is pretty stout, we played a few games on it before commissioning it into the video rack. It holds up amazing well despite its size.

The remote idea became necessary as our control room is sometimes far from where the presenter is, yet our PPT computer is usually in the rack with the ATEM. It is SOOOO much easier to remote the clicker than to try and convert all of the video and have paths for it to get back to the system. BTW, our USB over IP is made by SIIG (ID-DS0611-S1) about $50. Works great and we have a POE splitter with it so you just need a single cat5 out to wherever you want it. A stream deck mini plugs into it with buttons for next/prev/slide1. The other three buttons show a countdown timer for the speaker. Companion software is great and we love that it works even if PPT looses focus for some reason. While the presenter's SD mini only sees the one page of control buttons, we can switch any of our other stream decks over to that page and control PPT ourselves if needed.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 01:02:47 PM by Greg Bellotte »
timing is everything...

www.MambaFiber.com

Peter Tran

• peterletran
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 03:37:25 PM »

Judging by the specifications of your current system,
it will function as intended with no major issues.
I, myself, am using an i7-4790k with 16gb 1600mhz DDR3 ram and 660 ti.
However, if you're interested in future proofing,
DDR4 ram on the newer CPU is almost double the speed.
If you're running just powerpoint, the old system will work, but
I would suggest getting an AMD 2700x on a 240mm AIO watercooler
with 3200mhz ram grouped with an RTX 2070.
These components should last you anywhere between 5-10 years.

Brian Hancock

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 09:22:12 PM »

Judging by the specifications of your current system,
it will function as intended with no major issues.
I, myself, am using an i7-4790k with 16gb 1600mhz DDR3 ram and 660 ti.
However, if you're interested in future proofing,
DDR4 ram on the newer CPU is almost double the speed.
If you're running just powerpoint, the old system will work, but
I would suggest getting an AMD 2700x on a 240mm AIO watercooler
with 3200mhz ram grouped with an RTX 2070.
These components should last you anywhere between 5-10 years.

Thanks Peter yes we have a few resolume, encode, gfx etc machines with 64g ddr4 and m.2 and 1950x threadripper and few other bells hot swap ssd bays these were our future proof purchases with amd saying they will keep x399 set for at least 3 gens

But figure we can squeeze at least 2 more yrs out if these 6 yr old boxes with a few updates ...  just ppt ... we ended up with 24g ddr3 ram 1070ti dedicated ssd for OS and 2nd for show files along with 1tb spinning disk for archiving.

Real pleased with the graphics card upgrade ... can only hope to get 6 plus years out of every build and stay competitive with new tech the 4770 def. Holds it's own

Just curious why a water cooler way less reliable seems based on what I've read especially on the road!?! Do you have experience with that no oc at all
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 09:30:53 PM by Brian Hancock »

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 01:24:16 AM »

While I've only worked with a few water cooled systems, I'd look at other ways to get the performance you need out of your machine.A water cooled system is more complexity than I'd want to carry along on the road.  What happens if it freezes, or if you jostle a water connection loose?

For a powerpoint presentation, how powerful of a machine you need depends on the complexity of the presentation.  Remember that people have been using powerpoint forever with far less powerful machines than even the most entry level available today.

Of course, if you're adding in fancy graphics layers, animations, etc., then you'll need a bit more power.  However, unless you're going crazy, there's little need to go stupid high end on graphics card.  Even moderate cards will be more than enough.

Have at least 8GB of RAM, a current i7 processor, and a decent SSD and you should be good to go.
Brian Jojade

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 04:04:28 PM »

While I've only worked with a few water cooled systems, I'd look at other ways to get the performance you need out of your machine.A water cooled system is more complexity than I'd want to carry along on the road.  What happens if it freezes, or if you jostle a water connection loose?

For a powerpoint presentation, how powerful of a machine you need depends on the complexity of the presentation.  Remember that people have been using powerpoint forever with far less powerful machines than even the most entry level available today.

Of course, if you're adding in fancy graphics layers, animations, etc., then you'll need a bit more power.  However, unless you're going crazy, there's little need to go stupid high end on graphics card.  Even moderate cards will be more than enough.

Have at least 8GB of RAM, a current i7 processor, and a decent SSD and you should be good to go.

Liquid cooled isn’t the same as water cooled .

I have used an H50 cooler for years. Never a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 04:04:28 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.