ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Long distance cable runs and mixing different cat-x cables  (Read 2842 times)

Phillip Ivan Pietruschka

Re: Long distance cable runs and mixing different cat-x cables
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2018, 06:53:36 am »

What connector is on the cat6? Neutrik has a different ethercon for cat6. I have heard they are not compatible and might not couple with the cat5e couplers.

I would never mix cat5e & cat6 cables in a single run. The twist ratios are different and would screw up the transmission line.

I believe A&H specs Cat5e. Using different may compromise your connection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Neutrik Cat 6 ethercon is not compatible with the 5e or 6a variants, and mostly annoying. At least the 6a and 5e can intermate. Itís locking shell is similar to the Neutrik HDMI shell, and, I believe Opticon lite.

Iím sure Iíve mixed cat cable times many times without issue. For instance using installed cat 6 lines with 5e cables patches to it. At least in ethernet applications I havenít had a real world issue. Every single propertary protocol based on cat cables and 8p8c connectors sounds like a pain in backside compared to ethernet protocol that lives at OSI layer 4 or higher.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2018, 12:55:00 pm »

Neutrik Cat 6 ethercon is not compatible with the 5e or 6a variants, and mostly annoying. At least the 6a and 5e can intermate. Itís locking shell is similar to the Neutrik HDMI shell, and, I believe Opticon lite.

Iím sure Iíve mixed cat cable times many times without issue. For instance using installed cat 6 lines with 5e cables patches to it. At least in ethernet applications I havenít had a real world issue. Every single propertary protocol based on cat cables and 8p8c connectors sounds like a pain in backside compared to ethernet protocol that lives at OSI layer 4 or higher.

I too have mixed types but never when close to the theoretical max distance. As mentioned, the coupler is two connections so takes 30í out even with matching 5e cables. Mismatching is sure to reduce the max safe length further.

Oh, Ethernet protocol is a low level one on the OSI stack, layer 2. Layer 4 gets you up to TCP/UDP.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Lyle Williams

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2018, 10:01:19 pm »

100m isn't the maximum theoretical distance for ethernet on twisted pairs.  It is a heavily de-rated distance to accomodate all the bad practices that happen in the real world.

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2018, 10:34:29 pm »

100m isn't the maximum theoretical distance for ethernet on twisted pairs.  It is a heavily de-rated distance to accomodate all the bad practices that happen in the real world.

It is a laws of physics (not suggestions) thing.
100m has been the published max number since orange cable and vampire taps.

It has to do with the timing involved in collision detection and retry timing.

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2018, 10:35:00 pm »

And where do you know this from?

Lyle Williams

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2018, 02:36:58 am »

I have been doing this for a living for a very long time.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2018, 02:51:11 am »

It is a laws of physics (not suggestions) thing.
100m has been the published max number since orange cable and vampire taps.

It has to do with the timing involved in collision detection and retry timing.

That part is true but since every port is it's own collision domain on a switch, and hibs don't exist anymore collisions are a thing of the past. 

All that being said a cable won't certify beyone 100M and I can't get paid without the test results and I have no interest in running a science fair project in field the spec is the limit.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Lyle Williams

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2018, 02:56:56 am »

Yes, no science fair experiments.  But the 100m spec is set with such a large safety margin that it always works without problems.

Karel Noon

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2018, 04:49:11 am »

Yes, no science fair experiments.  But the 100m spec is set with such a large safety margin that it always works without problems.

Always is a big word..... 

Iíd rather be safe than sorry!

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #29 on: December 30, 2018, 07:31:02 am ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.