ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Long distance cable runs and mixing different cat-x cables  (Read 2825 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Long distance cable runs and mixing different cat-x cables
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 12:50:37 am »

How good are your solder skills?  If it were me i'd run this analog the whole way.  Either 2 300' XLRs [probably 6 100' cables] or i'd whip up a couple cat5 to Two XLR adapters.  Unless i'm misunderstanding what you're doing here.

Same here, kind of what I was leading up to with my questions.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 10:03:32 am »

inside cable ramps over a grassy field.

Humidity trap. No big deal for an unbroken cable. Could play havoc with connections.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Andrea Litti

• my FB page
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 10:17:55 am »

Thanks again to everybody, I'll try to go with a single cable run. Oh, merry Christmas to all!

Lyle Williams

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2018, 03:00:19 pm »

Just about ever cable run in the corporate LAN world is three cables.  A patch lead to the wall outlet, a cable inside the walls/ceiling back to a wiring closet, and then a patch lead to an ethernet switch.

If it works on your garage floor it will work in the field.  If you want a plan B, run analogue over the cat5/6.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 03:05:21 pm »

Thanks again to everybody, I'll try to go with a single cable run. Oh, merry Christmas to all!
There is not 'Try' only do or do not.  Yoda Bill in the House!! 

Merry Christmas

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2018, 03:28:09 pm »

Just about ever cable run in the corporate LAN world is three cables.  A patch lead to the wall outlet, a cable inside the walls/ceiling back to a wiring closet, and then a patch lead to an ethernet switch.

If it works on your garage floor it will work in the field.  If you want a plan B, run analogue over the cat5/6.

Yes BUT most of this kind of cabling is using a completely different protocol then standard Ethernet. And is susceptible to all sorts of other problems. Most of it is UDP and Not TCP/IP and there is no error correction for lost packets like there is in TCP/IP.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2018, 10:57:26 pm »

Yes BUT most of this kind of cabling is using a completely different protocol then standard Ethernet. And is susceptible to all sorts of other problems. Most of it is UDP and Not TCP/IP and there is no error correction for lost packets like there is in TCP/IP.

^^^ THIS.

Just because something uses CAT cable for transport does not mean that the OSI model is in use.  Suitability for one use does not indicate suitability for another use.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 11:51:30 pm by Tim McCulloch »
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2018, 11:42:05 pm »

If it works on your garage floor it will work in the field. 

You could patch something together with tinfoil and coat hangers that might work fine in your garage, but once you get into the field, if it's not robust, that's when you'll see the weakness in the design.

An RJ45 connection by design is NOT very robust.  In a network closet, it gets connected once or twice, then stays there.  In the field, the connection is getting tossed around and reconnected repeatedly.  This means there's a much higher chance of failure vs something that is just going to sit there forever since new.

While you CAN have splices in your cable, it's pretty much always preferred not to have any in the middle of a run if it can be avoided.
Brian Jojade

Lyle Williams

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 03:13:03 am »

A&H dSnake is ethernet.

Errors on ethernet not due to issues like duplex mismatches are very rare.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 02:03:15 pm »

What connector is on the cat6? Neutrik has a different ethercon for cat6. I have heard they are not compatible and might not couple with the cat5e couplers.

I would never mix cat5e & cat6 cables in a single run. The twist ratios are different and would screw up the transmission line.

I believe A&H specs Cat5e. Using different may compromise your connection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 02:03:15 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 24 queries.