ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha DSR112 or Turbosound iQ12?  (Read 4410 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
Yamaha DSR112 or Turbosound iQ12?
« on: December 22, 2018, 08:25:44 PM »

Hoping someone here can give me real world results with these two cabinets.

I’m looking at expanding a few of my active systems. I still enjoy my EV ZLX12p and 15p mains and wedges, but like anything else, always looking for something more, and offer different packages for artists/bands.

Most of the venues for these systems would be indoor lounge or saloon type environments, corporate parties and events for up to 150-200max in attendance. Live music with country rock style.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Stephen Kirby

Re: Yamaha DSR112 or Turbosound iQ12?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 11:57:01 PM »

There is no comparison between the DSR112 and iQ12.  I don't know if there's a place where you can listen to them all but your ZLX are scooped sounding speakers for DJ use.  I've used them in a few situations.  They sound good with music playback but because most of what a small PA gets asked to reproduce is vocals and instruments in the midrange, the scoop severely hampers how apparently loud they get.  This is exactly where the DSRs excel.  If you listen to music playback in a store they won't have much apparent bass and might even sound bright.  But sing though them with a band, or play horns though them and the clarity and ability to hear each instrument won't be matched.  The Turbos are much better and flatter than the EVs but don't have the clarity and can't reach the levels of the DSRs.  They will have more apparent bass at lower levels though.  DSRs really need to be used over subs.  I've used them naked before but only for vocals where they're overkill (the iQs might have handled those gigs).  But I know that the clarity and articulation will also be there that would otherwise take a varsity speaker at twice the price to beat.  I've even used them over a single DSX12 where I didn't need a lot of level but wanted to be able to play back music besides singing with the band.

I've thought about adding the JTR Captivator 212s to my rig instead of the DIY Cubo18s I have now.  For your lounge gigs one of those with a pair of DSRs will easily carry the day.  The tops will be overkill for the levels needed but since they are comparatively small, you'd have something near that size and weight anyway.  As you scale up to larger events, add more of the subs.  Two and then four for the very large events or outdoors.  The DSRs will keep up.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 11:32:25 AM »

There is no comparison between the DSR112 and iQ12.  I don't know if there's a place where you can listen to them all but your ZLX are scooped sounding speakers for DJ use.  I've used them in a few situations.  They sound good with music playback but because most of what a small PA gets asked to reproduce is vocals and instruments in the midrange, the scoop severely hampers how apparently loud they get.  This is exactly where the DSRs excel.  If you listen to music playback in a store they won't have much apparent bass and might even sound bright.  But sing though them with a band, or play horns though them and the clarity and ability to hear each instrument won't be matched.  The Turbos are much better and flatter than the EVs but don't have the clarity and can't reach the levels of the DSRs.  They will have more apparent bass at lower levels though.  DSRs really need to be used over subs.  I've used them naked before but only for vocals where they're overkill (the iQs might have handled those gigs).  But I know that the clarity and articulation will also be there that would otherwise take a varsity speaker at twice the price to beat.  I've even used them over a single DSX12 where I didn't need a lot of level but wanted to be able to play back music besides singing with the band.

I've thought about adding the JTR Captivator 212s to my rig instead of the DIY Cubo18s I have now.  For your lounge gigs one of those with a pair of DSRs will easily carry the day.  The tops will be overkill for the levels needed but since they are comparatively small, you'd have something near that size and weight anyway.  As you scale up to larger events, add more of the subs.  Two and then four for the very large events or outdoors.  The DSRs will keep up.

Stephen, thank you for the detailed info. I’ll look into the DSR’s just after the holidays and pick up a pair.

I have several options for active subs, it will all come down to venue size and what it calls for.

Thanks again and have a Merry Christmas.

Jay Marr

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 12:03:17 PM »

I have owned both of those boxes, and did a side by side compare with them (and some other boxes).
The Turbo's are not bad speakers at all.  I could gig with them and be happy enough.
That being said - there is no way I would every go back after now gigging with my DSRs.
When pushed, they hold together so nicely.

I used them over JBL SRX 718/728 subs.

If cost is not a factor (not that the cost is too far apart), then there is no contest - DSR all day long.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 12:59:28 PM »

The IQ 12/15 is a good value for money box, but it gets a bit “tizzy” as it’s pushed.  The DSR’s are slightly bright, but much smoother than the Turbo’s.  Their differing price points mean this is too be expected, no-one, who’s ears aren’t shot is going to prefer the iq’s.

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 02:38:27 AM »

Check out the EV EKX-12Ps.  I just bought four of them and they are a definite upgrade from the ZLX-12Ps (I owned 6 before selling off all of them after purchasing the EKX-12Ps).  I did a side-by-side comparison with the two speaker models using the same DSP presets and the choice was easy.  The EKX-12Ps are much smoother, detail better, and stay distortion-free when pushed loud (unlike the ZLX-12Ps, which definitely distort when pushed loud).  Nice wooden cabinet, and only 41lbs (7lbs. more than the ZLX). 
@Stephen Kirby, I have not thought the ZLX to sound "scooped", at least while using the MUSIC and LIVE presets on the built-in DSP.  I found the LIVE preset to be fairly flat (but it does drop off the low-end a little too high for my taste). Maybe the speakers you were using were set to the CLUB preset, which does give that box a low and high boost and gives them that "scooped" sound.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 11:22:42 AM »

Check out the EV EKX-12Ps.  I just bought four of them and they are a definite upgrade from the ZLX-12Ps (I owned 6 before selling off all of them after purchasing the EKX-12Ps).  I did a side-by-side comparison with the two speaker models using the same DSP presets and the choice was easy.  The EKX-12Ps are much smoother, detail better, and stay distortion-free when pushed loud (unlike the ZLX-12Ps, which definitely distort when pushed loud).  Nice wooden cabinet, and only 41lbs (7lbs. more than the ZLX). 
@Stephen Kirby, I have not thought the ZLX to sound "scooped", at least while using the MUSIC and LIVE presets on the built-in DSP.  I found the LIVE preset to be fairly flat (but it does drop off the low-end a little too high for my taste). Maybe the speakers you were using were set to the CLUB preset, which does give that box a low and high boost and gives them that "scooped" sound.

Although I think that ZLX speakers are probably one of the best for the money, I do see what Stephen means. One of the band members had some and regardless of preset used, we couldn't get vocals or guitar to sit up in the mix where we needed them.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Bolt

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 01:27:30 PM »

Stephen, thank you for the detailed info. I’ll look into the DSR’s just after the holidays and pick up a pair.

I have several options for active subs, it will all come down to venue size and what it calls for.

Thanks again and have a Merry Christmas.
I think you are going to love the DSR's.  They have been such a great speaker for me the last 8 years.  Such clarity and output at this price point is really amazing.

Be sure to get back with us and let us know what you think about them after you have taken them out for a few laps :)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 07:07:39 PM »

I think you are going to love the DSR's.  They have been such a great speaker for me the last 8 years.  Such clarity and output at this price point is really amazing.

Be sure to get back with us and let us know what you think about them after you have taken them out for a few laps :)

Scott, thank you for the your input. Glad to see they are still breathing well after 8 years of service.

I absolutely will. I'm sure I won't be disappointed. :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 07:07:39 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.