ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: DJ speakers  (Read 10922 times)

Josh Billings

Re: DJ speakers
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 05:59:44 PM »

The LA325 is a beautiful sounding box (one of my favorites from over the years), but it doesn't get very loud BUT if it gets loud enough for you, in the venues you work at...then I say keep it. It'll sound better than the 850ef for SURE. The 650Z on an 8800 processor is the next step up in the EAW line for 90% of people. You should notice a marked improvement going to those boxes (probably 2 per side). It's not gonna be cheap though.

If you're open to venturing outside the EAW range, try Community SLS960 / SLS980 boxes. They're old, but sounded great last I remember.

Josh Billings

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 10:26:04 PM »

The LA325 is a beautiful sounding box (one of my favorites from over the years), but it doesn't get very loud BUT if it gets loud enough for you, in the venues you work at...then I say keep it. It'll sound better than the 850ef for SURE....

Josh Billings

I'm not here to muddy the waters, but i have to humbly disagree.  ish...

Basically, the LA325 and the KF850* are such wildly different beasts that they can't really be compared.  The LA is a "near-field" box and as such can sound quite good "closeup".  The KF850s don't even come together until you're about 50' feet away from them.  They also take a LOT more power, and get a LOT louder IME.  Just two different things.

I do think the 650s are worth looking at.  I always found them easier to manhandle than the the 325s mostly because they have real handles and such.  And they can certainly be made to sound quite good with the right processing and power.

I'm with Luke in that i'm just not that big a 325 fan.  They LOOK like they should be a lot more impressive than they actually are.  And they FEEL heavier than they actually are....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 11:43:52 AM »

Haven't heard the Radius so can't comment except the RSX126/129 look interesting with their 12" LF section and size/weight.

Joshua, what is a "large event"?

I know someone who has the RSX129s and they swear these are some great boxes for multiple types of events. I have been trying to “borrow” a system to try out myself as I’m still looking at possibly moving my older SRX 725/728 rig.

I used to own LA215s and whatever the single 18” sub was that accompanied them. I also used the LA325s a bunch of times. They were good boxes at the time but equipment has come such a long way in the last 15-20 years. The LA series sounded decent but there are better options out there now with more power handling, more efficient and half the weight.

Joshua Buentello

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 01:09:06 PM »

I figured the OP wanted to stay in the EAW family and purchase used gear.  The KF650 won't go as low as an LA325 (in singles, anyway) but it will have better pattern control. The 650ef weighs 140 lbs (64kg), has +3 or so greater peak output, long term is about the same as the 165 lb LA325.

I agree that the "easy button" is for Joshua to re-home the LA325s and replace with SRX835sp.  Real world long term output is about the same as either EAW with half the weight.  Since he has 4 BH760 I don't think weight is an issue for him.

Haven't heard the Radius so can't comment except the RSX126/129 look interesting with their 12" LF section and size/weight.

Joshua, what is a "large event"?

Hello and Thanks for the info, a large event for me would be around 300-600+ people but sometimes the venues customers rent out are large ballrooms or barn like buildings at times, I was also think of renting out my equipment for music festivals at events held by the city at a city park and I was just wondering if what I have would be enough for those kind of places. because most of the equipment that I see at festivals like that are usually JBL SR4733X series tops and With
cerwinvegas or B52's for lows.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 11:55:08 AM »

Hello and Thanks for the info, a large event for me would be around 300-600+ people but sometimes the venues customers rent out are large ballrooms or barn like buildings at times, I was also think of renting out my equipment for music festivals at events held by the city at a city park and I was just wondering if what I have would be enough for those kind of places. because most of the equipment that I see at festivals like that are usually JBL SR4733X series tops and With
cerwinvegas or B52's for lows.

That's similar to a events that I (used to) get called for. I've been happy for years with my EAW KF300e rig. They still sound great with the MX300 processor, but they are heavy at 100+ lbs per box. I think you can get a pair in an ATA for around $500, currently

That being said, I did always like the LA325 for DJ gigs in the 90's, but man those are heavy.

As Tim Mc mentioned the KF850 are the biggest, heaviest boxes in a lineup of big, heavy boxes. The 850T had TAD drivers inside. You will cry if you ever see the cost to replace a damaged unit.

Also, your MX250 and MX800 processors are not reprogrammable or adjustable and EAW application support will not help you reconfigure the units or even send out schematics. They are factory setup to a specific model of speaker and required factory refitting to work with other gear.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2020, 01:00:41 PM »

The most similar thing I have noticed that, most of the DJs use Yamaha, Mackie and Behringer speakers. I think these are the best brands that you should need to look at.

Martha, I'm not sure if your post is meant to be taken seriously or if you're just trying to funnel internet traffic to your blog, but articles such as the one you're linking to won't find any love here.  Have you actually heard/used/owned any of the products you're endorsing?  Power-boosting technology - really?  Mackie THUMP Series?  The only thumping those do is when they hit the bottom of the dumpster. 

I don't mean to sound blunt, but spamming is not welcome here nor is making wild claims about equipment you have no knowledge on. 

John L Nobile

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2020, 01:18:05 PM »

The most important thing, I'll recommend you to consider before buying the best cheap DJ speakers "If you are able to hear the things you’ve never heard before in your sound tracks then this is the speaker where you need to invest.

That site you linked to reads more like a badly written joke than anywhere near a serious review. Are you affiliated with it?

Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How many watts should DJ speakers be?
The ideal number of watts that needs to be present in the best DJ speaker is around 1500 to 2000 watts. In some cases, like in an indoor location, where normally the sound effects tend to be different, the range might get a bit different.

2. What kind of speakers do DJs use?
Most of the DJs out there prefer to use the monitor speaker for DJ’ing. Although there are several benefits from the Bluetooth type and others, this specific type of speaker tends to be more compatible with their situation.

3. How many speakers do DJs need?
Normally, the DJs need at least a set of speakers that can be used simultaneously. The two speakers let them keep a check on the sound quality, bass, and overall performance of the tracks.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2020, 02:28:07 PM »

Tip: Don't go for junk speakers if you want them for long run, otherwise you'll result in losing your money.

...Mackie and Behringer speakers. I think these are the best brands that you should need to look at.

Enough said....  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber