ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DJ speakers  (Read 1966 times)

Josh Billings

Re: DJ speakers
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 05:59:44 pm »

The LA325 is a beautiful sounding box (one of my favorites from over the years), but it doesn't get very loud BUT if it gets loud enough for you, in the venues you work at...then I say keep it. It'll sound better than the 850ef for SURE. The 650Z on an 8800 processor is the next step up in the EAW line for 90% of people. You should notice a marked improvement going to those boxes (probably 2 per side). It's not gonna be cheap though.

If you're open to venturing outside the EAW range, try Community SLS960 / SLS980 boxes. They're old, but sounded great last I remember.

Josh Billings

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 10:26:04 pm »

The LA325 is a beautiful sounding box (one of my favorites from over the years), but it doesn't get very loud BUT if it gets loud enough for you, in the venues you work at...then I say keep it. It'll sound better than the 850ef for SURE....

Josh Billings

I'm not here to muddy the waters, but i have to humbly disagree.  ish...

Basically, the LA325 and the KF850* are such wildly different beasts that they can't really be compared.  The LA is a "near-field" box and as such can sound quite good "closeup".  The KF850s don't even come together until you're about 50' feet away from them.  They also take a LOT more power, and get a LOT louder IME.  Just two different things.

I do think the 650s are worth looking at.  I always found them easier to manhandle than the the 325s mostly because they have real handles and such.  And they can certainly be made to sound quite good with the right processing and power.

I'm with Luke in that i'm just not that big a 325 fan.  They LOOK like they should be a lot more impressive than they actually are.  And they FEEL heavier than they actually are....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
bdmaudio@gmail.com

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 11:43:52 am »

Haven't heard the Radius so can't comment except the RSX126/129 look interesting with their 12" LF section and size/weight.

Joshua, what is a "large event"?

I know someone who has the RSX129s and they swear these are some great boxes for multiple types of events. I have been trying to “borrow” a system to try out myself as I’m still looking at possibly moving my older SRX 725/728 rig.

I used to own LA215s and whatever the single 18” sub was that accompanied them. I also used the LA325s a bunch of times. They were good boxes at the time but equipment has come such a long way in the last 15-20 years. The LA series sounded decent but there are better options out there now with more power handling, more efficient and half the weight.

Joshua Buentello

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 01:09:06 pm »

I figured the OP wanted to stay in the EAW family and purchase used gear.  The KF650 won't go as low as an LA325 (in singles, anyway) but it will have better pattern control. The 650ef weighs 140 lbs (64kg), has +3 or so greater peak output, long term is about the same as the 165 lb LA325.

I agree that the "easy button" is for Joshua to re-home the LA325s and replace with SRX835sp.  Real world long term output is about the same as either EAW with half the weight.  Since he has 4 BH760 I don't think weight is an issue for him.

Haven't heard the Radius so can't comment except the RSX126/129 look interesting with their 12" LF section and size/weight.

Joshua, what is a "large event"?

Hello and Thanks for the info, a large event for me would be around 300-600+ people but sometimes the venues customers rent out are large ballrooms or barn like buildings at times, I was also think of renting out my equipment for music festivals at events held by the city at a city park and I was just wondering if what I have would be enough for those kind of places. because most of the equipment that I see at festivals like that are usually JBL SR4733X series tops and With
cerwinvegas or B52's for lows.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.