ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: DJ speakers  (Read 10921 times)

Paul G. OBrien

Re: DJ speakers
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2020, 10:05:48 PM »

+1 on all Don's comments, getting into the rental business opens another can of worm, I don't play in the festival market but others here can tell you about how there is so much more involved than just FOH speakers, as with most things customers will gravitate towards a supplier that can deliver 1-stop shopping(sound, lighting, backline, staging, baracades, etc) even if some or all of those pieces aren't the latest or greatest.

I have built a pretty successful rental business for myself by marketing to DJs that don't want to move and setup equipment anymore, and in the process of doing that I stumbled into another client pool with event organizers and decorators who also needed a sound and lighting subcontractor. The key to separating myself from many other operators in this market is that I deliver, setup, and collect all the equipment and when necessary supply on-site operators for the duration of the event, this ensures the equipment stays in near showroom condition in both appearance and function which it turns out is a big deal with these customers.
The vast majority of my business is with modern powered speakers which cover events up into the 250-300 range, I also have a larger passive racks n stacks rig but it only comes out a few times a year and would be overkill and a giant PITA to get into the smaller venues, I simply would not be doing this if I had to move 150lb boxes for every event. When I started out I didn't have the passive rig at all and would cross rent in suitable gear for larger events, this worked well and gave me time to piece together a larger rig that has proven to be reliable and impressive enough to a sub section of my customer base that they keep asking for it.

The bottom line is you need to go into this with a plan, your business will need some diversity to build and maintain a revenue stream and festivals probably won't be it, the bread and butter will likely be with smaller events or certain customers where you provide something that wasn't available before.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 10:15:26 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2020, 04:12:02 AM »

Wow, can you tell me which product model I have recommended?

...most of the DJs use Yamaha, Mackie and Behringer speakers. I think these are the best brands that you should need to look at...

The most important thing, I'll recommend you to consider before buying the (meaningless Top 10 article link that I won't bother reposting)...

I'm still not sure if any of this is to be taken seriously but it's up to Mac or Doug to ring up Strike 3.

Otherwise, yes, you're posting on PROsoundweb - we're well aware of the brands available in our industry and which ones tend to perform better than others.  The overwhelming majority of information in your article is marketing hype mixed with baseless claims which most of us here know better than to entertain.  The rest of it simply makes no sense.  Most of us here are actually very friendly and happy to teach, but we're also highly allergic to fake information being passed off as fact.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2020, 04:47:01 AM »

Wow, can you tell me which product model I have recommended? I earlier told that I have met with a lot of DJs as I am a Party Planner. I usually ask them about the speakers, amps they use. I shared the brands which were in my mind. For your kind information, I am not affiliated with anyone. Just found the review on Pinterest and shared over here.

But thats not the attitude you guys need. I've not recommended anything, I just shared out what I know about. Good luck!

Posting a clickbait article full of gibberish isn't really all that helpful.  The stuff on that list is near bottom of the barrel crap.  The purpose of that article is purely to get people to click on the amazon links so that the host gets a commission on any sales.  The content of the article is horrible.

If you actually learned ANYTHING from the article, please immediately erase what you learned from your brain. It's useless drivel which appears to be (hopefully) poorly translated at best.

When you're new to a forum, it's probably best to come to learn and ask questions before trying to give advice in an area with very little knowledge.
Brian Jojade

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2020, 03:41:12 PM »

So guys you are aware of the brands not the newbies over here. You maybe expert over here but most of the people came here for recommendations (mostly new). If someone is expert enough, he doesn't look for recommendations.

Thanks for your kind information.

Hi Martha-

The PSW forums have a fairly "USA-centric" focus and, to a lesser extent, Canada and the UK.  The circumstances in your undisclosed locale may present conditions we have no awareness of.

I'm more curious as to why a party planner gets involved with or recommends equipment used by the DJs, unless you've had "party failure" due to a DJ using equipment that proved embarrassing to you or your client.  Is there more to this endorsing?

The most common issue with portable DJs is their propensity to turn things up until every red lights stay on.  They are oblivious to the horrid, distorted sound being produced by almost every device in the signal chain and when this is pointed out by professional audio people they are typically dismissed as either elitists or know-nothings.  In this situation the brand of loudspeakers being misused is mostly irrelevant anyway...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2020, 06:29:06 PM »

Hi Martha-

The PSW forums have a fairly "USA-centric" focus and, to a lesser extent, Canada and the UK.  The circumstances in your undisclosed locale may present conditions we have no awareness of.

Her blog seems to be based in California.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2020, 10:37:46 PM »

Her blog seems to be based in California.

It's a whole 'nuther country (or 3)!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ed Taylor

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2020, 12:16:28 PM »

+1 on all Don's comments, getting into the rental business opens another can of worm, I don't play in the festival market but others here can tell you about how there is so much more involved than just FOH speakers, as with most things customers will gravitate towards a supplier that can deliver 1-stop shopping(sound, lighting, backline, staging, baracades, etc) even if some or all of those pieces aren't the latest or greatest.

I have built a pretty successful rental business for myself by marketing to DJs that don't want to move and setup equipment anymore, and in the process of doing that I stumbled into another client pool with event organizers and decorators who also needed a sound and lighting subcontractor. The key to separating myself from many other operators in this market is that I deliver, setup, and collect all the equipment and when necessary supply on-site operators for the duration of the event, this ensures the equipment stays in near showroom condition in both appearance and function which it turns out is a big deal with these customers.
The vast majority of my business is with modern powered speakers which cover events up into the 250-300 range, I also have a larger passive racks n stacks rig but it only comes out a few times a year and would be overkill and a giant PITA to get into the smaller venues, I simply would not be doing this if I had to move 150lb boxes for every event. When I started out I didn't have the passive rig at all and would cross rent in suitable gear for larger events, this worked well and gave me time to piece together a larger rig that has proven to be reliable and impressive enough to a sub section of my customer base that they keep asking for it.

The bottom line is you need to go into this with a plan, your business will need some diversity to build and maintain a revenue stream and festivals probably won't be it, the bread and butter will likely be with smaller events or certain customers where you provide something that wasn't available before.

nice reply Paul...very similar to my world.
I actually started in pro backline almost 2 decades ago..but quickly found that along with the pro/national stage work, that I would get calls for semi-pro events that needed decent backline (drums, keys, amps) and also were very happy that I could bundle it with Audio/lighting.
that business continued to build well, and 2 years back I sold my pro backline rental to a larger company..but I kept the "private events' portion of my biz..so while i no longer have a warehouse full of ALL the desired keyboards, drum brands etc.. I do still have several nice keys, a quality pro drum kit, bass amp, guitar amps, etc and enough PA to stage a solid 8 pc band (24x8) consoles with enough FOH to handle small town square festival sound (not concert level) but mostly wedding bands type thing.
I've had less success just handing gear to a client and letting them take it themselves, or even doing a full setup for a weekend church thing and walking away...the phone will ring at some point 
I never have let a person who says they are a DJ, rent gear from me.. I laugh when I get the call "hi, I'm a DJ and my sub is blown and in the shop, I need to rent a sub from you"...seriously. I've gotten those calls...Dude - you really think I'm gonna hand you one of my subs so you can blow it up too?
old first issue mackie USA/ Italian have given me great service.. JBL eons early models, QSC and EV stuff...all still hanging in there for me.
I don't get into attitude about it..these are consumer grade rigs..not pro concert rigs..they are what they are..they work, the client is happy .. I get paid.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2020, 12:16:28 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.