ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hybrid wired / wireless intercom for theater  (Read 2223 times)

Gary Greyhosky

• Carlisle, PA
    • Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC
Hybrid wired / wireless intercom for theater
« on: December 20, 2018, 11:19:59 AM »

I have a theatrical client that is looking to implement a new comm system. They'd like to have two or three wireless units for roaming stagehands. I'm looking for affordable solutions to integrate these wireless units into the comm system. Base station and wired units will likely be Pro Intercom. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Spoke with Pro Intercom tech support and they were only marginally helpful.
Gary Greyhosky
Managing Partner
Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Hybrid wired / wireless intercom for theater
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 11:55:04 AM »

I have a theatrical client that is looking to implement a new comm system. They'd like to have two or three wireless units for roaming stagehands. I'm looking for affordable solutions to integrate these wireless units into the comm system. Base station and wired units will likely be Pro Intercom. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Spoke with Pro Intercom tech support and they were only marginally helpful.

Most wireless comms setups will interface with your standard clear com 2w setups.  Freespeak for example.  You’re going to probably spend more on the rf portion than the entire wired portion.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 01:59:33 PM »

The most inexpensive system is CrewCom from Pliant.  a 2 channel system similar in capabilities to a Telex BTR with coverage of the Theatre space only would be comparable in price to the BTR.

A less expensive system would be Unity Intercom which would use cell type beltpacks and possibly wifi if you have good coverage.

inbetween the two is Clearcom DX410 https://www.clearcom.com/product-family/hme-dx410-wireless/
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 03:37:07 PM »

The most inexpensive system is CrewCom from Pliant.  a 2 channel system similar in capabilities to a Telex BTR with coverage of the Theatre space only would be comparable in price to the BTR.

A less expensive system would be Unity Intercom which would use cell type beltpacks and possibly wifi if you have good coverage.

inbetween the two is Clearcom DX410 https://www.clearcom.com/product-family/hme-dx410-wireless/

I think the DX210/410 gets a bad rap.  If all you need is a single channel of wireless comms, they work remarkably well, and are very hard to break given that they were originally designed for fast food drive thru systems.  I also like that you can add quite a few more beltpacks as your needs grow so long as you don't need full duplex operation for all the users, which most people can live without.

Of course, as soon as you need multiple channels or more advanced features, the limitations of the system show up pretty quickly...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Gary Greyhosky

• Carlisle, PA
    • Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 04:45:38 PM »

Thanks for the input gentleman. I'll look into these options. It's summer stock theater and while they do very good work, I know that the budget is going to dictate exactly how far they can go with this. Much appreciated.
Gary Greyhosky
Managing Partner
Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 05:42:40 PM »

I think the DX210/410 gets a bad rap.  If all you need is a single channel of wireless comms, they work remarkably well,

410 is true 2 channel with iso
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

brian maddox

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 09:17:03 PM »

410 is true 2 channel with iso

True, but aren't the beltpacks only capable of using one at a time?  That is, they can talk/listen on channel 1 OR 2 but not both at the same time [or was that just the DX210?]?    I find that to be a rarely useful feature.  Far too often someone will switch to the other channel and forget to switch back making them unresponsive when you need them.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 09:38:30 PM »

True, but aren't the beltpacks only capable of using one at a time?  That is, they can talk/listen on channel 1 OR 2 but not both at the same time [or was that just the DX210?]?    I find that to be a rarely useful feature.  Far too often someone will switch to the other channel and forget to switch back making them unresponsive when you need them.

Only talk on 1 at a time or both and at all times hear both.  There are 3 buttons AB and ISO
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:49:41 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

brian maddox

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 10:30:24 PM »

Only talk on 1 at a time or both and at all times hear both.  There are 3 buttons AB and ISO

Excellent. That significantly increases the usability of the system.  So now I like the DX even more than I did before.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 10:30:24 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.