ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Freespeak Transceiver Proximity  (Read 1495 times)

Elliot Carroll

Freespeak Transceiver Proximity
« on: December 11, 2018, 11:30:13 AM »

Hello,

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the following question.

Anytime I'm the Comms Engineer, I always keep Freespeak Transceivers atleast 10ft apart from each other, only because I swear I remember reading somewhere (maybe from Pete on here), that this is best practice.

But a few times in the last few months I've been on shows where the Comms Engineer has setup 2 or even 3 transceivers on a single tall "C" stand, and I don't recall ever hearing any "weirdness" with the system during the run of the show.

So, does somebody have a definitive answer?

I understand there is always best practice, but it sure would be nice to set up less stands on a large deployment of a system.

Thanks
Elliot Carroll
ESC Audio Services
Bend, Oregon

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Freespeak Transceiver Proximity
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 12:18:19 PM »

Hello,

Anytime I'm the Comms Engineer, I always keep Freespeak Transceivers atleast 10ft apart from each other, only because I swear I remember reading somewhere (maybe from Pete on here), that this is best practice.

But a few times in the last few months I've been on shows where the Comms Engineer has setup 2 or even 3 transceivers on a single tall "C" stand, and I don't recall ever hearing any "weirdness" with the system during the run of the show.

I understand there is always best practice, but it sure would be nice to set up less stands on a large deployment of a system.

Thanks

Per Clearcom's FreeSpeak 1.5 manual.

"When co-locating transceivers for extra beltpack capacity in one area, do not put the
devices too close to each other. They should be placed between 3 and 20 feet (1 - 7 meters)
apart ."

So that's best practice.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Elliot Carroll

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 12:25:08 PM »

Per Clearcom's FreeSpeak 1.5 manual.

"When co-locating transceivers for extra beltpack capacity in one area, do not put the
devices too close to each other. They should be placed between 3 and 20 feet (1 - 7 meters)
apart ."

So that's best practice.

And to that good sir, I would reply with, "Well that seems like a pretty random distance, that may or may not be based on any science or hard fact at all."

I'm not trying to shoot the messenger, but that's a deeply unsatisfying answer/instruction from CC.
Elliot Carroll
ESC Audio Services
Bend, Oregon

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 01:26:11 PM »

And to that good sir, I would reply with, "Well that seems like a pretty random distance, that may or may not be based on any science or hard fact at all."

I'm not trying to shoot the messenger, but that's a deeply unsatisfying answer/instruction from CC.

I actually suspect that that is based on a good bit of hard data.  The basic technology that FreeSpeak uses has been in use by ClearCom for quite a long time.

My guess is that less than a Meter and you're starting to overload the neighboring receiver.  More than 7 meters and you start to reduce the useful  "overlap" of the two transceivers [and begin to get into the time window window where conflicting time arrivals between the two transceivers can lead to interference].

Again, these are "best practices".  Best Practices by definition do not mean that it won't work outside of those parameters.  Just that it is "Best" within those parameters.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 08:41:41 PM »

Hello,

Thanks

I was called to work at a newish theatre where they were having trouble with their new FSII.  Worked perfectly everywhere; dressing, lobby, loading dock, offices, in house.. but Not ON-STAGE!  when I looked at the position of the 2 FSII antennas on a catwalk above the stage they were each mounted 4' from a wifi access point.  No problem... they are in different bands... WRONG!  The FSII was overloaded by the "set to 11" RF of the access points.  Digital is particularly sensitive to overload.  Moved both Antennas to downstage, 30' away from the AP and they worked perfectly.

Also watch out for cell phone antennas in a facility.  if it looks like an antenna stay away.

Clearcom has said that antennas can be co located next to each other but I still keep them apart.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 08:41:41 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.