ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: S6L vs. PM10 vs. SD7 [or whatever digicos comp is] cost?  (Read 18018 times)

Roland Clarke

Re: S6L vs. PM10 vs. SD7 [or whatever digicos comp is] cost?
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2019, 01:44:32 PM »

Added a word, John, hope you don't mind.  One needs to know a DigiCo better than one knows an ex's bad habits...

At a show a year or so ago I had a BE complain extensively about Avid consoles in toto, but based on my perception of the results, his having a non-Avid console wouldn't have helped what came out of the PA system.

The tour console was Profile.  Presumably he had the clout to insist on the Midas or DigiCo or whatever it was he really wanted but for whatever reason did not get the desk he preferred.

Industry is full of those, at whatever level. 😁

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2019, 01:47:05 PM »

Digico is a nightmare if the engineer isn't familiar with them. 

JF

I took the Digico master class last year and we spent ten hours learning how to set up all the different routing and control options available on the regular SD series consoles.

We never even mixed anything.

The mind boggles.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Andrew Hollis

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2019, 02:52:36 PM »

I took the Digico master class last year and we spent ten hours learning how to set up all the different routing and control options available on the regular SD series consoles.

The mind boggles.

I think the assumption is the mixing engineer knows how to mix. ; )

Roland Clarke

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2019, 03:11:33 PM »

Perhaps.  I’ve mixed on Digico s from time to time.  Fortunately I’ve always had someone to babysit that knew the routing so could put everything where I needed it.  Is it just me or does the software resemble the SAW studio stuff?  I know it’s not the same, but more than once I’ve run into the dreaded screen recalibration needed scenario.  The compressors are ok, the eq is decent, (like dynamic eq, in my view more useful than multiband, but it’s not necessary on every channel,) just think the fx are really poor.  I think the Yamaha pm 10 is really a much better solution, but I’m biased.  The fx onboard are where we should be and some of the mediocre stuff out their just isn’t good enough bearing in mind we’ve had good digital fx for 30 years.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2019, 03:24:35 PM »

Digico is a nightmare if the engineer isn't familiar with them. 

DiGiCo's SD series makes a lot of choices that push the console fairly far down the ease-of-use to flexibility continuum, but the same could be said for line arrays as well (also a nightmare to deploy if the engineer isn't familiar with them, etc.). They are absolutely a tool you need to learn, but isn't that true of most of the really powerful tools we all use on a day-to-day basis, like EQ and dynamics?

I like them because they allow me to easily setup my show the way I want it to be setup, as opposed to how some console designer thinks it should be setup, with fewer of the gotchas of some other consoles (anyone ever accidentally setup a pre-fader group on a Vi console? It makes you looks like an idiot).

Except the FX. The DiGiCo reverb is...perfunctory.

-Russ

Karel Noon

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2019, 04:16:31 PM »

I work in a classical concert house, we also have a lot of jazz/world music shows. The Vi's have done their job well past the last ten years, but are not reliable these days. The options for two new console systems are: SD7 Quantum / PM10 / S6L. S6L is not the first choice, because in Europe it is not on many riders. My question is: have there been any changes on the SD7 surface since it's release in 2007? What is the better option for FOH-babysitting in your opinion?

Classical: PM10
Pop/Rock: S6L

That’s the Short answer for me. Avid is on many riders, although mostly Profile, but if you tell them you got the S6L I don’t think many will complain.

Probably the 24c surface will be enough, leaves money for the waves Server you’ll need for riders and takes up less space in the audience for when the desk is pulled out of the booth.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2019, 08:37:32 PM »

The mind boggles.

I felt the same way. The Digico class needs to be about 3 days long. And it doesn't help any that all the Digico instructors approaches the class as if everyone already knows how the Digico consoles are set up and run.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2019, 08:39:17 PM »

Classical: PM10/CL5
Pop/Rock: S6L
Broadway: Digico

That’s the Short answer for me. Avid is on many riders, although mostly Profile, but if you tell them you got the S6L I don’t think many will complain.

Probably the 24c surface will be enough, leaves money for the waves Server you’ll need for riders and takes up less space in the audience for when the desk is pulled out of the booth.

Added some extra options there for you.  ;)
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2019, 08:39:17 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.