ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Incarcerated Audio  (Read 2008 times)

M. Erik Matlock

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Editor Live Sound International/ProSoundWeb
    • M. Erik Matlock on PSW
Incarcerated Audio
« on: December 18, 2018, 12:37:04 PM »

Incarcerated Audio
Think you've worked some challenging gigs? Providing sound for more than 300 events, most of them inside prison walls...
By M. Erik Matlock • December 18, 2018

“Seriously?”

That was my response when I was asked to help record a live album inside a prison. It was 1998 and I was only nine months out of recording school.

The person asking for assistance was my friend Larry Howard, who’d been working inside of penitentiaries for years with Prison Fellowship Ministries.

He explained the deal. We would break down our entire recording studio and all the gear we had, load it into a moving van, and drive it to Broad River Correctional in South Carolina.

From there, we’d take over a large concrete room and bring in a dozen or so well-known Christian artists. The inmates would get a great show and we’d produce a live album to give away to supporters of the ministry. Made sense. Actually sounded like fun.

Upon arriving, we met up with the crew from Capital AV, located in the Washington, D.C. area, who provided the house and monitor systems for the concert. Nobody was excited about the acoustics or highly supervised working conditions, but we pulled it off and maintained our cheerful dispositions without episode. Three days later, we loaded the studio back up and went home to mix the project.

After a year or so of doing other things in audio, Larry reconnected me with Capital AV. Prison Fellowship had formally activated a new program to bring entertainers, ministers and former inmates into prisons across the country. They talked me into becoming a road dog and living out of a suitcase about two weeks of every month for the next four years....

Continue reading here: https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/live-sound/incarcerated_audio/
Train the next generation. Success without a successor is ultimately failure. wywu.org

ProSoundWeb Community

Incarcerated Audio
« on: December 18, 2018, 12:37:04 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.