ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley SM80  (Read 25073 times)

Mark Wilkinson

Re: Danley SM80
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 12:29:03 PM »

So, what about the 2 SH46's sideways* and 1 TH118?
(*covering 60 degrees horizontal and only 40 degrees vertical)

That's what I've often thought would be a good indoor, medium room, Danley solution.
Light enough, powerful enough, tight dispersion....
I get stuck on how to put the trap-sided boxes up in the air horizontally....
Gotta build a special yoke I guess...might be worth it though...

Yoel Klein

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 12:32:33 PM »

That's what I've often thought would be a good indoor, medium room, Danley solution.

I would definitely try it in verticle stand up position as well,

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 01:26:55 PM »

Like this?

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 01:31:29 PM »

I would definitely try it in verticle stand up position as well,

Of course it will sound fine within the pattern, but the horizontal coverage will be pretty darn narrow. When they say 40 deg they're not kidding. -F

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 02:36:16 PM »

A pair of ZXA5s over decent subs would likely be as loud as anyone could stand in that space.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Yoel Klein

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 03:14:37 PM »

Like this?

Frank, which model box is that?

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 03:32:44 PM »

Yoel, whether you agree or not, the Danley SM80 uses a horn-loaded configuration.  Have you read the patent on the Synergy Horn technology?  If so, what part do you think the SM80 doesn't meet?

Rated patterns are one thing, actual performance is another.  Below is a snapshot taken from the Polar Explorer program comparing the horizontal and vertical directivity of a Yamaha DSR112 (12"/2" 2-way box with separate drivers, well respected in these forums, rated for 90x60 pattern) on the left and the DSL SM80 on the right (horn-loaded sealed-box with 2-way coaxial arrangement, rated for 80x80 pattern). 

I've highlighted the measured response at approximately 500hz on each, and as you can see, even though the DSR112 has a narrower vertical rating, the SM80 actually has a tighter vertical pattern in this frequency (108 degrees versus 187).  The horizontal black lines represent the rated angles from each manufacturer.  As you can see in the vertical patterns, the SM80 will put less mid-range energy into the reverberant space.  If that's not the effects of a full-face horn then I don't know what else will convince you.

I would recommend that you model the space you intend to deploy this system in, using Danley's free Direct software and play around with the different cabinets you are mentioning and see what sort of improvements they make. 

Regarding getting several hundred pounds of speaker cabinet above peoples heads, versus a speaker on a tripod stand, the differences in required equipment to safely execute that strategy and storage/labour to facilitate that type of system should be weighed against any differences in performance to determine where your money would be best spent. 

I think last time I checked, the cost of the Trabes towers that Frank uses or any other similar solution cost nearly the same as the SM80 cabinets do, plus the fact that the larger Danley products you've mentioned cost more than the SM80's do, so the jump in cost for one complete system (lifts, dolleys, cabling, amplifiers, any required changes to your insurance) versus the other is not small.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 03:58:02 PM »

So to take a step back, what are your actual goals for this system besides "The volume must be so high that anyone wanting to talk must go outside the hall, wait for their ears to open up to be able to carry a conversation"?  Let's put some numbers on this, as most of what you're specifying so far will result in a very lopsided system.  Also, what is your budget?  Nothing you've mentioned is cheap, and the costs involved with lifting/moving/rigging are not trivial with some of your solutions, as Jeremy just mentioned.  So long as you like the sound and don't mind always needing subs, an SM80 over 1-2 TH118s per side should be plenty.  Just get the SM80s up in the air and you'll be fine.  Once you get beyond this system the cost and logistics go up substantially.   

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 04:39:18 PM »

Like this?

Nice !!

And mulling the tight pattern control you mentioned....
It's almost like the pattern specs, defined as the -6dB angle, could use an order, kinda the same as in crossover order.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 04:46:18 PM »

Frank, which model box is that?

That's an SH-46 "on its side". -F

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 04:46:18 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.