ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Artificial intelligence on my new IPAD 5 ???  (Read 3354 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Artificial intelligence on my new IPAD 5 ???
« on: December 15, 2018, 12:32:23 PM »

Purchased a new iPad and my mind is blown!

So, as you are all probably aware, I am an Apple kinda gal.
I started remote mixing my QU16 with my  IPAD2 a few years ago and since then I have upgraded and added to devices a few  times. These days I use my IPAD Pro to mix and my IPAD AIR to run lights.
Chris and I picked up one of the IPAD5's in a sale yesterday (crazy cheap compared to past models) with the intention of using it for lights as it has a bit faster processing speed than the AIR and now the AIR becomes my back - up so I can retire my old IPAD2 and my IPAD MINI.
I realize some folks here do not like Apple which I fully respect but I have to share this.
So with all my other Apple mobile devices (so far over the years- 5 iPHONES, 3 iPOD TOUCH and 4 IPADS) I had to go through the set up procedure making choices,  jumping through some hoops to get everything to jive which took a while. Then add apps, photos and anything else that I might want on the device.
Anyway, I just connected to my Mac desktop ready to do all the above and I got a nice surprise.
Step 1: choose language, step 2: choose whether to send reports to Apple, step 3: agree to terms and conditions and then.........
I see a message to place one of my other devices 'nearby'. So I placed my
iPHONE next to the iPAD.
Suddenly both devices are talking to each other and the iPAD asks me to take a photo on my phone of a bar code that came up on the iPAD screen. Then it asks for my iPHONE sign in which I typed into the iPAD. 
Then after a couple of minutes, the home screen on my new iPAD uploads as the exact match of my iPAD AIR - WHICH I happen to have placed a few feet away charging for tonights show.
After a few more minutes, my new iPAD is a clone of the iPAD AIR and DONE. WOW.
The thing is my iPAD PRO and my IPAD2 are both on and charging right next to the AIR yet the new iPAD seemed to know to choose the AIR to clone (not the IPAD PRO, IPAD2 or the iPHONE used to set up) I never made this selection.
Not only that, on checking, my Luminair program has all my customized settings already there and ready to go!
So.....Did my new iPad read my mind????

EDIT - Just read the box and the new IPAD is the 6th Generation- not 5th.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 12:47:17 PM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Artificial intelligence on my new IPAD 5 ???
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 12:41:34 PM »

Purchased a new iPad and my mind is blown!

So, as you are all probably aware, I am an Apple kinda gal.
I started remote mixing my QU16 with my  IPAD2 a few years ago and since then I have upgraded and added to devices a few  times. These days I use my IPAD Pro to mix and my IPAD AIR to run lights.
Chris and I picked up one of the IPAD5's in a sale yesterday (crazy cheap compared to past models) with the intention of using it for lights as it has a bit faster processing speed than the AIR and now the AIR becomes my back - up so I can retire my old IPAD2 and my IPAD MINI.
I realize some folks here do not like Apple which I fully respect but I have to share this.
So with all my other Apple mobile devices (so far over the years- 5 iPHONES, 3 iPOD TOUCH and 4 IPADS) I had to go through the set up procedure making choices,  jumping through some hoops to get everything to jive which took a while. Then add apps, photos and anything else that I might want on the device.
Anyway, I just connected to my Mac desktop ready to do all the above and I got a nice surprise.
Step 1: choose language, step 2: choose whether to send reports to Apple, step 3: agree to terms and conditions and then.........
I see a message to place one of my other devices 'nearby'. So I placed my
iPHONE next to the iPAD.
Suddenly both devices are talking to each other and the iPAD asks me to take a photo on my phone of a bar code that came up on the iPAD screen. Then it asks for my iPHONE sign in which I typed into the iPAD. 
Then after a couple of minutes, the home screen on my new iPAD uploads as the exact match of my iPAD AIR - WHICH I happen to have placed a few feet away charging for tonights show.
After a few more minutes, my new iPAD is a clone of the iPAD AIR and DONE. WOW.
The thing is my iPAD PRO and my IPAD2 are both on and charging right next to the AIR yet the new iPAD seemed to know to choose the AIR to clone (not the IPAD PRO, IPAD2 or the iPHONE used to set up) I never made this selection.
Not only that, on checking, my Luminair program has all my customized settings already there and ready to go!
So.....Did my new iPad read my mind????

I experienced this new Apple setup procedure recently and was pretty impressed with how seamless it really is considering the complexity going on under the hood.

As to it reading your mind?  Yes.  I'm quite sure it did....  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 12:47:47 PM »

I experienced this new Apple setup procedure recently and was pretty impressed with how seamless it really is considering the complexity going on under the hood.

As to it reading your mind?  Yes.  I'm quite sure it did....  :)

I'm a bit spooked Brian I must say...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

brian maddox

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 12:56:29 PM »

I'm a bit spooked Brian I must say...

I take a very pragmatic approach to the whole "Privacy in the age of the SmartDevice" thing.  Truth is, we've installed microphones and cameras in most of the rooms in our home and taken great care to make sure that they all have a way to communicate to a worldwide data network at all times.  Is that why your new device did your bidding without actually being told what that was?  I have no idea.  But we really shouldn't be so surprised when the devices seem to already know what we want when we've given them the means to listen to and record every word we say and every online action we take.

Is this a Good Thing or a Truly Terrible Thing?  I don't know yet.  I'm not sure any of us really do...

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 01:06:50 PM »

I take a very pragmatic approach to the whole "Privacy in the age of the SmartDevice" thing.  Truth is, we've installed microphones and cameras in most of the rooms in our home and taken great care to make sure that they all have a way to communicate to a worldwide data network at all times.  Is that why your new device did your bidding without actually being told what that was?  I have no idea.  But we really shouldn't be so surprised when the devices seem to already know what we want when we've given them the means to listen to and record every word we say and every online action we take.

Is this a Good Thing or a Truly Terrible Thing?  I don't know yet.  I'm not sure any of us really do...

Mmm - I'm not fully liking that aspect at all.......
My main thing though in this particular instance is that I had other devices on and charging - a few feet away from the new device - IPAD PRO, IPAD AIR, IPAD2, IPHONE and even an old IPOD TOUCH. YET it chose the IPAD AIR without instruction to do so. I could have been replacing any IPAD I own with the new one or simply adding to the herd.  Co-incidence? Maybe I suppose -but what are the odds??

brian maddox

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 02:28:10 PM »

Mmm - I'm not fully liking that aspect at all.......
My main thing though in this particular instance is that I had other devices on and charging - a few feet away from the new device - IPAD PRO, IPAD AIR, IPAD2, IPHONE and even an old IPOD TOUCH. YET it chose the IPAD AIR without instruction to do so. I could have been replacing any IPAD I own with the new one or simply adding to the herd.  Co-incidence? Maybe I suppose -but what are the odds??

was the iPad Air the last iDevice you may have bought or updated?  Is it the "newest" iDevice? I'm just thinking that the decision had to be based on something more than just "we've been listening to Debbie for weeks now and she seems to really Like that iPad Air". 

At least i'm pretty sure that's the case...  [see slightly-paranoid-but-probably-not really post above...]

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 03:32:10 PM »

Sly said it . . . 'Somebody's watching you.'

The singularity approaches. :o
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 04:11:16 PM »

My most recent IPAD is the IPAD PRO although I am unsure which IPAD was last updated. The PRO and the AIR are running on the same current IOS platform. The IPAD2 is running on an older IOS and the IPOD TOUCH is ancient (by todays standards)!!.

Bob Stone

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 07:15:25 PM »

There's no AI going on there, what happened is programmed based on some criteria as to which device to pick (probably most recent use).

At this point there's no need for paranoia with AI, it's not that smart yet...but it's coming.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 07:58:07 PM »

My worry would be, what if I am setting up an iPad for my Father or a neighbour, and it clones mine?
(At this point, my wife has a pad, but I don't.)
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 07:58:07 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.