ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Various service feeders?  (Read 3406 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Various service feeders?
« on: December 13, 2018, 09:03:58 PM »

Anyone using things like Motion Labs "Rac Pac"  devices? 

There are a few events I do each year that something like a 50amp Rac Pac (all Edison receptacles), would be beneficial.  However, not every event I do may have a 50 amp service, as an example, (either from a tie-in on a load-center or from a spider). 

To manage the potential varieties of electrical service at an event, would you carry various power cords to accommodate say... a 30amp service (one side of the cord accommodates the 30amp service, and the other side accommodates the 50amp Rac Pac)... or would it be better to stipulate a 50amp service (for example) at every venue?

I normally use the spider boxes provided with generators, but sometimes available receptacles become a problem... though, the 30/40/50amp service feeds on the boxes are most always available. 

Just looking at potential options for better power "management" at the bigger shows.  Would love to use something like a Rac Pac, but didn't want to get cornered into only being able to use a feed sized to what the Rac Pac can support (not including anything over the rating of Rac Pac).

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
Re: Various service feeders?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 12:35:33 AM »

To manage the potential varieties of electrical service at an event, would you carry various power cords to accommodate say... a 30amp service (one side of the cord accommodates the 30amp service, and the other side accommodates the 50amp Rac Pac)

You can get a 50A Rac Pac and make yourself a 30 A adapter. Nothing wrong with that. You can even make a 5-15 "Edison" adapter and use it as a $500 outlet strip (with both legs tied together). Just don't get any ideas about making a two-headed Edison cord to get more power, as has been discussed here many times :o -F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 07:41:18 AM »

You can get a 50A Rac Pac and make yourself a 30 A adapter. Nothing wrong with that. You can even make a 5-15 "Edison" adapter and use it as a $500 outlet strip (with both legs tied together). Just don't get any ideas about making a two-headed Edison cord to get more power, as has been discussed here many times :o -F

Thanks Frank. 

That's what I was hoping for.  Carrying various feeders could be expensive and add yet more weight. 

You are correct, I would never put together a 2-headed Edison!  Those posts were an interesting read.

For the adapters, (i.e. 50amp Rac Pac drawing from a 30amp service), looks like there are pre-made adapters available (barrel types, short-cords)... would these types be acceptable?  Or, would it be best to wire in a plug (each time) that supports the available service?

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 09:41:42 AM »

Thanks Frank. 

That's what I was hoping for.  Carrying various feeders could be expensive and add yet more weight. 

You are correct, I would never put together a 2-headed Edison!  Those posts were an interesting read.

For the adapters, (i.e. 50amp Rac Pac drawing from a 30amp service), looks like there are pre-made adapters available (barrel types, short-cords)... would these types be acceptable?  Or, would it be best to wire in a plug (each time) that supports the available service?

I’d carry an adapter or two for the most common scenarios.  You can always convert it on-site if needed.  If you have the luxury of pre-event site visits then just make a note and come prepared.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 07:20:50 PM »

I’d carry an adapter or two for the most common scenarios.  You can always convert it on-site if needed.  If you have the luxury of pre-event site visits then just make a note and come prepared.
What do you use for the adapters...?  Barrel type or short cords?

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 11:26:57 PM »

I’ve found that short adapter cords work better than barrel type adaptors. Too much torque from the length of the barrel adapter. Especially with heavier feed cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 11:55:48 PM »

By "short", I have assumed that it means about 5' (1.5 m) of cable, in case I'm coming out of a high-mounted dryer receptical or other non-standard location.  Is that a reasonable assumption?
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 12:35:09 AM »

What do you use for the adapters...?  Barrel type or short cords?

Short cords.  Just enough to reduce torque on the outlet.  A foot or two.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 09:46:01 AM »

By "short", I have assumed that it means about 5' (1.5 m) of cable, in case I'm coming out of a high-mounted dryer receptical or other non-standard location.  Is that a reasonable assumption?
Was mostly thinking of the 1ft to 2ft lengths.  But, yes anything less than 5ft I would considered "short".

Looks like a negative for the barrel type of converters.  Will focus on the "short" cords. 

Thanks!

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 10:58:14 AM »

Short cords.  Just enough to reduce torque on the outlet.  A foot or two.

Me too. And if you get in a bind and have the male you need on one and the female on another you can do a field transplant. You might not even have to restrip the cable.

I'll confess that for my dryer-plug male (30A straight-blade) I used a molded cable assembly from the big-box store. It's cheap and for my once-a-year use good enough. If the neutral opens up and fries my rig I'll have only myself to blame. -F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 06:27:46 PM »

I'll confess that for my dryer-plug male (30A straight-blade) I used a molded cable assembly from the big-box store. It's cheap and for my once-a-year use good enough. If the neutral opens up and fries my rig I'll have only myself to blame. -F
My big distro is on Cams, but the small one has the Big Box moulded stove plug, straight to the panel.
120 feet of feeder, stove plug and socket.
I have a 4 foot or so bare wire to stove socket, and a Big Box moulded dryer plug to a stove socket. In 25 years, this combination has covered EVERY use this distro package has gone out for.
Only ever replaced one of the stove plugs, because Mr. Helpful figured it was a twist lock.......
You know the guy, one of several volunteers provided by an "association".
Before we unloaded the truck, I gathered everyone for a briefing.
Rule 1, NO ONE touches electricity.
Rule 2, NO ONE breaks rule 1.
I paid for an electrician to come in and replace their socket.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 06:27:46 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.