ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Powersfot Amps with onboard processing vs DR260  (Read 5281 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Using Powersfot Amps with onboard processing vs DR260
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 01:38:48 AM »

One more thought, from the amp designer's point of view: there isn't enough panel real estate to put Speakons and XLRs on an 8 channel amp, for example, without making the amp huge, which defeats some of the advantage. You could imagine using a big CPC, or some such, to get the signal out, but install folks would hate it (the crimper is stupid expensive and the connector is essentially impossible to reconfigure or troubleshoot). So the Phoenix-style connectors with the wire clamps are not such a bad compromise.

A version with better strain relief exists, at least in the small size (some came with a Rane processor), but I haven't had any luck finding them to fit other boxes. Perhaps Powersoft, and others, should try to come up with a better, compatible connector to make their install amps more attractive to portable users.

--Frank

Do you have a bar in back of the amp to tie off to for strain relief from the Phoenix plugs?  That's what I would do and instead of the tie wraps I would lace it all with 10 cord (wax coated string) but that's just the old phone/avionics guy in me.  Nothing looks prettier than a good lace job.

A short service loop between the bar and the Phoenix would give flexibility of there is any bouncing during transport of the unsupported rear of the amp.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 11:41:08 AM »

Do you have a bar in back of the amp to tie off to for strain relief from the Phoenix plugs?  That's what I would do and instead of the tie wraps I would lace it all with 10 cord (wax coated string) but that's just the old phone/avionics guy in me.  Nothing looks prettier than a good lace job.

A short service loop between the bar and the Phoenix would give flexibility of there is any bouncing during transport of the unsupported rear of the amp.

Hey Scott, I've got a roll of lacing tape somewhere, too (prob WW2 vintage). But really, nylon cable ties work great and are much faster and easier to snag a bundle in an awkward place with. I don't know about big airplanes but my bug-smasher doesn't have a single piece of lacing tape in it, so far as I know. I'd put cable ties on the short list of great inventions of the 20th century -- just don't use them for suspending speakers over people  ::)

A bar for stabilizing the small wires would be a good thing. I managed by other means. The Phoenix connectors I mentioned have a tab with two holes protruding from the back that allow the wire (over the jacket, presumably) to be tied to the connector with a cable tie. But other than that Rane box I've never seen them. I'd still like a good strain relief that's part of the connector -- or maybe I'm just falling into the engineer's trap of trying to solve problems that don't exist.

The backs of all my amps are supported with beefy aluminum brackets. The 19 in. rack -- another bane of our existence.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 12:58:05 PM »

The Phoenix connectors I mentioned have a tab with two holes protruding from the back that allow the wire (over the jacket, presumably) to be tied to the connector with a cable tie. But other than that Rane box I've never seen them.

Like below?.......need to get a few more myself..

I think this link is them....not sure.. Plug

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 07:23:41 PM »

Like below?.......need to get a few more myself..

I think this link is them....not sure.. Plug

Yes, like that. Next time I do a rack that can use these I'll know where to start looking. Thanks. --Frank

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2018, 04:40:46 AM »

Hey Scott, I've got a roll of lacing tape somewhere, too (prob WW2 vintage). But really, nylon cable ties work great and are much faster and easier to snag a bundle in an awkward place with. I don't know about big airplanes but my bug-smasher doesn't have a single piece of lacing tape in it, so far as I know. I'd put cable ties on the short list of great inventions of the 20th century -- just don't use them for suspending speakers over people  ::)

A bar for stabilizing the small wires would be a good thing. I managed by other means. The Phoenix connectors I mentioned have a tab with two holes protruding from the back that allow the wire (over the jacket, presumably) to be tied to the connector with a cable tie. But other than that Rane box I've never seen them. I'd still like a good strain relief that's part of the connector -- or maybe I'm just falling into the engineer's trap of trying to solve problems that don't exist.

The backs of all my amps are supported with beefy aluminum brackets. The 19 in. rack -- another bane of our existence.

--Frank
Cessna laced all the harnesses on their cabin class twins.  Frankly I know every other light aircraft have ties behind the panel but I don't recall the harnesses.  I found this pic of a lace job https://www.lectromec.com/giving-your-aircraft-ewis-a-good-cleaning/

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2018, 04:28:43 PM »

Cessna laced all the harnesses on their cabin class twins.  Frankly I know every other light aircraft have ties behind the panel but I don't recall the harnesses.  I found this pic of a lace job https://www.lectromec.com/giving-your-aircraft-ewis-a-good-cleaning/

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Lacing cord weighs less than Ty-Raps.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 03:48:21 PM »

Lacing cord weighs less than Ty-Raps.
True, but it's also more expensive -- when labor is included. And while weight matters for aircraft, it would be a tough sell on an amp rack, not to mention the tears I would shed when  needing to make a change. It pains me enough to cut the zip ties :'(

Now that I think of it, when I tore the old, factory-installed radios out of my Cessna, a 1973 model, the avionics harness was laced. It clearly had been shop-built on a board. Cirrus, on the other hand, used every trick they could think of to keep costs down, sometimes going a little far, in my opinion. The amount of self-stick Velcro and double-sided tape is mildly frightening. On the other hand, they've never had an in-flight breakup, except for one where someone iced up and exceed Vne (the never-exceed indicated airspeed) by a huge margin.

Back to audio...

--Frank

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 05:05:22 PM »

If you cut the zip-tie in the right place (cut the tail just under the head), you get a usable shorter zip-tie.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 07:25:17 PM »

If you cut the zip-tie in the right place (cut the tail just under the head), you get a usable shorter zip-tie.

Dave, you're as cheap as I am  :)  Actually, I'm worse. I've been known to insert a sharp object in the catch to release the tie for re-use :o

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2018, 08:02:53 PM »

In my opinion the common nylon zip tie has almost no place in amp racks these days. With so much network in them I am using Velcro ties for all but power cable management.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2018, 08:02:53 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.