ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you get an SM58 to sound like this? NEW Simply Red Concert Vid  (Read 12328 times)

Jon Brunskill

Re: How do you get an SM58 to sound like this? NEW Simply Red Concert Vid
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2018, 06:08:15 PM »

this^^

I tell the story often of mixing the National Christmas Tree Lighting in DC with a variety of talent singing accompanied by the Army Band.  A [still teen-aged] Leann Rhimes walked up to the single Mic [it might have been an SM58, although i think it was probably an SM85] downstage and launched into a song for soundcheck.  I'll never forget that feeling of raising the fader, reaching for the EQ as one does to "fix" someone's voice, and realizing there was literally nothing to fix.  The girl could just flat out SING and i just needed to stay out of the way.  HPF and bring the fader up.  Done!

Real Actual Talent makes us idiot sound guys look REALLY good!  :)

This is so true. I mixed a 20 piece big band last night, along with 7 singers, and for 6 of them I was all over the EQ, tweaking through the show trying to get them to sit right. One singer must have 30+ years under her belt singing jazz and blues professionally, she needed no EQ, no compression, just a wireless 58 and HPF. She took the other singers to school.

Jerry Ziarko

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2018, 12:20:54 PM »

In a "concert setting/recording for media distribution" setting like this, don't they usually run two consoles, one for FOH and one for recording?  Obviously having the ability to mix all this post let's it become as good as it can be.

Just as a photo of a celebrity doesn't make it to print without editing, (Photoshop etc) live concert video footage does not make it to air without remix and mastering. While live to video/audio may have happened decades ago, there is no reason not to take advantage of technological advances to put out a stellar product in the modern era.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2018, 02:40:50 PM »

This is why I don't understand why so many people bag on the '58. It's a great mic! Is it the greatest in every circumstance? Propbably not, BUT it will absolutely work in every circumstance. You can't say that about any other mic out there.

The regular old 58 still has the most natural top end of any live vocal mic in the business. AND it has a nice and wide pickup pattern to let PROs work it like Mick shows us in this vid. It's no wonder it sounds great. The 58 doesn't add any thing weird and Mick is an absolute pro!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2019, 01:53:10 PM »

Gosh Mick Hucknall (sp?) still has an amazing voice after all these years. 

One of the dirty little secrets is the better the artist the easier they are to mix.  It's the shity bands in shity rooms that are a pain in the ass.  You never get all they have in the sound check.  Every db of gain before feedback is a precious commodity and the deck is stacked against you.

Didn't we talk on here years ago about 1000 person soft seat theaters being the preferred venue for our "craft"?  I don't do much band work anymore and I honestly don't miss it much.  It was so rare for me to actually "mix the band".  Most gigs are just damage control and/or politics and logistics.  Hearing damage is one of the biggest reasons I avoid the band gigs now.   I think I still have pretty decent hearing (another audiogram is actually long overdue) and I've decided that there are very few bands who are worth risking it for. 

Anyway, I add to the chorus that some musicians and singers can just light up a mic with pleasantness in a magical way.  Others not so much.
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2019, 02:26:45 PM »

Just as a photo of a celebrity doesn't make it to print without editing, (Photoshop etc) live concert video footage does not make it to air without remix and mastering. While live to video/audio may have happened decades ago, there is no reason not to take advantage of technological advances to put out a stellar product in the modern era.

I totally agree with you, but I also find that the more hands off you can be with a 58, the better it usually sounds.  The number of times I’ve seen someone tweak a 58 channel only for it to subtly degrade with the more processing added.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2019, 03:30:44 PM »

And then there's the distinct possibility that the vocal was re-recorded in the studio.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2019, 06:58:12 PM »

And then there's the distinct possibility that the vocal was re-recorded in the studio.

It is possible.

I worked with a guy in a local no name band a few years ago (he was no Mick Hucknall ) on their demo recording. On a couple of the songs, I suggested doubling his voice. The re-recorded vocal track was so close to the original, it was hard to tell any difference at all. He could sing the vocal EXACTLY the same way each time - weird.....
So, it is not impossible that this track was a re-recording depending on just how close the overdub vocal track was to the original - and if anyone could do it, Mick could.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2019, 09:36:04 PM »

It is possible.

I worked with a guy in a local no name band a few years ago (he was no Mick Hucknall ) on their demo recording. On a couple of the songs, I suggested doubling his voice. The re-recorded vocal track was so close to the original, it was hard to tell any difference at all. He could sing the vocal EXACTLY the same way each time - weird.....
So, it is not impossible that this track was a re-recording depending on just how close the overdub vocal track was to the original - and if anyone could do it, Mick could.
I think Mick can duplicate his performance with craft and skill

Watch Peter Gabriel's video of the Secret World or Growing up tours - depending on the song it can be pretty obvious that Peter's mics you see in the video are not necessarily what you are hearing in the soundtrack.

I watched the first minute of the video link LeVan posted.  I'd wager it's a studio replacement.

The question is "do we watch a Simply Red w/orchestra documentary" or do we watch a re-presentation of a concert where all parties have a stake in the artistic and commercial outcomes?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 09:38:26 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Karel Noon

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2019, 04:03:58 PM »

I watched the first minute of the video link LeVan posted.  I'd wager it's a studio replacement.

With today’s processing options and the fact that we all believe MH can deliver such a performance I would doubt its re recorded.

Time is money, he can sing, ad a plug-in or five and off you go.

And as I said before, I have seen him live, that pretty close to that video, so probably the same Plugins and the same talent working together  ;D

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2019, 05:56:40 PM »

With today’s processing options and the fact that we all believe MH can deliver such a performance I would doubt its re recorded.

Time is money, he can sing, ad a plug-in or five and off you go.

And as I said before, I have seen him live, that pretty close to that video, so probably the same Plugins and the same talent working together  ;D

As Mick pulls off the mic (over 30cm) you don't hear any bleed.  Nothing.  No additional orchestra, no "ambiance".

That's not a matter of plugins, that's a replacement.  This is identical to the Peter Gabriel replacement.  When Mick gets back on top of the mic there is no change in tonality, zero, zip, nada.  While a certain amount of that can be corrected with dynamic EQ, it cannot be eliminated 100%.

Again, I'm not disparaging Mick's talent, quite to the contrary.  I'm only saying that what you hear is not what was recorded in situ.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2019, 05:56:40 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.