ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you get an SM58 to sound like this? NEW Simply Red Concert Vid  (Read 8939 times)

DavidTurner

Re: How do you get an SM58 to sound like this? NEW Simply Red Concert Vid
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 08:06:53 AM »

I think that the short answer is "put it in front of that guy."

A couple of decades ago I was providing PA for a John Anderson show (Swinging, not Roundabout) and was curious to find out how his BE would get that unique John Anderson sound. The answer: put a 58 in front of him and turn it up.

On a similar note, there was a thread in the PSW recording forums a few years ago asking how to get that "John Bonham" drum sound. The reply from a famous recording engineer was: "It helps to have John Bonham playing the drums."

This video got posted a couple weeks back and I was very impressed with the audio quality.  Mick seems to be holding the 58 a good distance from his mouth.  The vocal clarity is remarkable.  I don't think that there's any way possible for me to get a 58 to sound like this, especially considering parts of the video where he's 10-14" from his mouth.  Am I crazy, ignorant, foolish, etc. or can someone explain to me how this is being accomplished?

Some of the comments in the video description suggest that it's lip-sync.  I've watched it over and over and I don't see it.  Anyway, thanks for your input on this.

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this.  So if this is not the correct board please forgive me.  I realize there are some pro-engineers that frequent here and thought that they could give me some insight.

https://youtu.be/l7GnVHmTiI8

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 08:31:49 AM »

On a similar note, there was a thread in the PSW recording forums a few years ago asking how to get that "John Bonham" drum sound. The reply from a famous recording engineer was: "It helps to have John Bonham playing the drums."

Did a festival last century. Playing some Genesis Live while getting things sorted.
The drummer from the headliner comes up to me.. "Those drums sound awesome. Can you make me sound like that?"
Sure I said, pointing to my processing rack. I've got all the goodies, but You CAN play like Phil Collins, right?
Loudest thing at the mic wins. Period.
Chris.
And yes, I still use 58's and 57's, among many others. Not always the best, but certainly never the worst.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

John Halliburton

• White pointy beard, knows zip...about chicken.
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 08:55:49 AM »

Did a festival last century. Playing some Genesis Live while getting things sorted.
The drummer from the headliner comes up to me.. "Those drums sound awesome. Can you make me sound like that?"
Sure I said, pointing to my processing rack. I've got all the goodies, but You CAN play like Phil Collins, right?
Chris.
And yes, I still use 58's and 57's, among many others. Not always the best, but certainly never the worst.

Someone(a well known big time studio engineer whose name escapes me-Swedien maybe?) once said-"if you can't make it sound good with 57s..."

Best regards,

John

DavidTurner

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 09:05:23 AM »

I have heard this quote attributed to Phil Ramone: "if you can't get a good sound with a 57 and a porta studio, you won't get a good sound with a U87 and a Neve."

Someone(a well known big time studio engineer whose name escapes me-Swedien maybe?) once said-"if you can't make it sound good with 57s..."

Best regards,

John

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2018, 11:46:04 AM »

Quote from: Chris Hindle link=topic=169551.msg1563368#msg1563368
date=1544707909
Chris.

Or Genesis's "Seconds Out" live album... (first recording after Peter Gabriel's departure) with Bill Bruford, Phil Collins and Chester Thompson drumming.  Avoid the remastered version put out recently.  Horrible work.  They should have re-mixed rather than do what all they did to the 2 track.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

John L Nobile

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 11:51:54 AM »

This guy knows how to use a mic. It's like a manual compressor.  I don't see many singers who know the term mic technique anymore.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 12:49:12 PM »

WOW - sheer class. I think he sounds better now than he did back then!....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 12:53:34 PM »

WOW - sheer class. I think he sounds better now than he did back then!....

Yes, it's a beautiful performance and reminds me of the joy that music brings to my life!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 12:58:45 PM »

Yes, it's a beautiful performance and reminds me of the joy that music brings to my life!

Me too Steve. I just wish I was in that category of sound pros who get the opportunity to run sound at shows like that.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

LeVan Moxley

• King, NC
    • Moxley Production Services
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2018, 10:01:12 PM »

I wonder if Mick did multiple shows when this was recorded at the Ziggo Dome.  There's other videos of the same song on Youtube that were shot on cell phones the night of the show.  There are some obvious differences between those vids and this pro shot.  I remember back in 05 when the Eagles released their Farewell DVD live from Melbourne.  If I recall correctly, they did three shows over three consecutive nights and then combined the best out of the three and made the DVD.  The sound of that DVD is remarkable also.   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2018, 10:01:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.