ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you get an SM58 to sound like this? NEW Simply Red Concert Vid  (Read 9456 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: How do you get an SM58 to sound like this? NEW Simply Red Concert Vid
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2018, 12:32:04 AM »

I wonder if Mick did multiple shows when this was recorded at the Ziggo Dome.  There's other videos of the same song on Youtube that were shot on cell phones the night of the show.  There are some obvious differences between those vids and this pro shot.  I remember back in 05 when the Eagles released their Farewell DVD live from Melbourne.  If I recall correctly, they did three shows over three consecutive nights and then combined the best out of the three and made the DVD.  The sound of that DVD is remarkable also.

That also sounds like the way Peter Gabriel does his live video - usually more than 1 night in the same venue, video is composited, audio is sweetened in the studio (sometimes very obviously so in the video).  Still great documents of the concerts as they might have happened. ;)
"Art has always held a tenuous position between acts of subversion and status symbol collected by those who profit from the very status quo the art purports to subvert." - Stephen Colbert

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2018, 09:54:51 AM »

My advice to all young soundpeople and vocalists: Learn to love the 58.

Its ubiquity makes it the defacto benchmark for humans-on-a-mic-in-an-amplified-setting...for both listeners and presenters. 

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 10:56:56 AM »

Its ubiquity makes it the defacto benchmark for humans-on-a-mic-in-an-amplified-setting...for both listeners and presenters.

Doesn't that just contribute to the inertia we see in the industry?

I feel like we're making huge progress in a lot of areas - we're getting bigger sounds out of smaller speakers than ever, and look at the power amplifiers and processing available today. Digital desks have made huge leaps in quality and feature sets.
Stuff that wasn't really possible a couple of decades ago is now available in a 1U chassis.

Why are we still feeding all this wonderful tech with a mic that's verging on antique status?
We spend all this time and effort choosing the best PA, tweaking the angles and making the graphs perfect, and then we grab the mic that's merely good enough..?
No, thanks.

Chris

PS - it's entirely possible that the mic in the video merely looks like a '58. Could be anything behind the grille.
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Roland Clarke

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 12:17:26 PM »

I feel like we're making huge progress in a lot of areas - we're getting bigger sounds out of smaller speakers than ever, and look at the power amplifiers and processing available today. Digital desks have made huge leaps in quality and feature sets.
Stuff that wasn't really possible a couple of decades ago is now available in a 1U chassis.

Why are we still feeding all this wonderful tech with a mic that's verging on antique status?
We spend all this time and effort choosing the best PA, tweaking the angles and making the graphs perfect, and then we grab the mic that's merely good enough..?
No, thanks.

Chris

PS - it's entirely possible that the mic in the video merely looks like a '58. Could be anything behind the grille.

Good conspiracy theory, except that itís been much publicised his love for a standard 58 for live for quite a long time.

On the other point, for all the developments in audio, mics havenít changed much, proven by the love for vintage neumanns, AKGís and other great dynamic mics like Sennheiser 421ís/441ís, Beyer m88ís.  A lot of newer mics have had quick surges of interest, but then people sink back to 57ís, 58ís.  All mics have their flaws, even expensive new ones.  Perhaps we should talk about different rather than better? 🤔

John L Nobile

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 12:31:20 PM »

I'd like to know how many pros DON'T have a 58/57 in their mic closet.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 12:31:45 PM »

No, thanks.

Well, it works.
They're very consistent.
Everyone knows what they "sound" like (whether they think it's good or bad)
Every musician should know how to work a 58
They're pretty cheap, and they can be found anywhere.
They put up with shit that will kill a lot of mics.
and they just work.
Sure, I have "better", but I can always get a good show with a box of 57's and 58's.
Hey, I'm old too. That doesn't make me obsolete.......
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 01:20:10 PM »

No, thanks.

Chris

And it could be that, unlike Lucas electrical systems in cars or appliances, the SM58 just works?  What about pistonic transducers?  Why don't we just dump them because electrostatic loudspeakers "sound better"?

I have a pile of "new" products that have failed in various ways over their short lives and I have cases full of products that were designed years ago that continue to perform well.  I have some new stuff in cases that spend most of their time unused because the industry veterans pick the classics they know and trust.

Perhaps it's because I've worked with SM58s all my life but for all its alleged shortcomings it's versatile, rugged and reasonably consistent especially for the price.  There are 'better' mics out there, some of them made by Shure, but nobody else has an equal to the 58.
"Art has always held a tenuous position between acts of subversion and status symbol collected by those who profit from the very status quo the art purports to subvert." - Stephen Colbert

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 01:45:43 PM »

I don't own any SM58's.......anymore.........because stolen..........not mad though........... :)

Microphones are much like guitars. The design that was pretty much brand new and popular in the 50's and 60's are the industries top sellers today still. Same with guitar amps really. The number one amp company that is required to be in anyone's backline is Fender; who has been making essentially the same amps since he was repairing radio's and building Telecasters. The ubiquity of the SM58 is no different, it is classic, it is simple, it works great and it's affordable.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

LeVan Moxley

• King, NC
    • Moxley Production Services
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2018, 03:09:19 PM »

Yep, Mick definitely knows how to work that 58.  Here's some effective proximity effect usage...wait...is that redundant, lol?  Man...this sounds great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL-fJbggkWA

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2018, 04:11:32 PM »

Yep, Mick definitely knows how to work that 58.  Here's some effective proximity effect usage...wait...is that redundant, lol?  Man...this sounds great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL-fJbggkWA

Wow. It's actually almost hard to believe that that mic on the vid is the one picking up the vocals heard in the video. Mic in face, nice and clear, mic the same distance as NYC - Beijing, nice and clear.

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #29 on: December 14, 2018, 04:11:32 PM ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.