ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What computing device do you use in your OFF hours? Recemend to your family?  (Read 5279 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!

I use a MBP, but it's an older machine that still has all the "real" ports on it.  Not looking forward to replacing it. 

I've used Sophos and Time Machine [via WiFi now] for well over a decade and long ago forgot what it was like to lose data due to a virus/malware attack or broken Hard Drive.  It's just not something i even think about.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com

Here's an honest (not rhetorical) question for all you folks who use Linux on your main platform. It appears to me that if all you want to do is email and Web browsing (Internet appliance), Linux is fine. If you want to write your own programs, it's the best. But if you want or need to run widely used applications such as Photoshop, AutoCAD, Smaart, or even just to control your Powersoft amp or Allen & Heath mixer, what do you do?
I guess it depends what you call your main platform.  I probably missed the crux of my problem in my original post.  At work I primarily use windows because it is what the provided computers have.  I also deal with lots of Apple because that's what some of the software we use runs on and it's popular with many of our clients.  At home I run a mix of Linux, windows, android, IOS (apple), IOS(cisco), BSD, and whatever that is my home theater gak runs.  I tend to segregate computer usage by security level and what is easy for me to maintain.  I also make extensive use of virtual machines and dual boot.  My personal laptops all are dualboot with windows and linux.

My TV's have low end windows 10 boxes.  Just enough video card to meet the HDCP requirements and nothing more personal that passwords for streaming services like Netflix.  We use these for no security needed entertainment activities.  I also use these for testing random windows programs I can't test in a VM.  Screw it up or get a virus?  boot from a recovery usb and start over.  I also have a couple of Roku devices.  The Roku Ultra sucks to the point we don't use it.  I also am not comfortable with M$ and my banking information.  I get that the bank may use it, I don't have a choice, but I don't want to at home.

My point is I use what ever OS or platform solves the problem needing solving.  Linux does that for a pretty good chunk of my needs, just not all.  No OS does every thing great.  Unfortunately I feel like I have hit a point of "ALL OSes SUCK."
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I'm actually quite surprised by how many of you chimed in as Linux users.  I do most of my work on 2018 MBP with virtual box running windows 10.  It's been quite a few years, but there was a time that I ran dual boot with Windows and Linux.  Reading all of these responses makes me want to try some Linux distributions again. 

When it comes to recommendations for my family, I usually say Apple because the OS is already so dumbed down, lack of virus issues (because family likes to click on everything), and tech help from the apple store so I don't have't to do it.  ;) .  Plus many of them already have iphones, so it's just a look and feel they are more used to.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

Here's an honest (not rhetorical) question for all you folks who use Linux on your main platform. It appears to me that if all you want to do is email and Web browsing (Internet appliance), Linux is fine. If you want to write your own programs, it's the best. But if you want or need to run widely used applications such as Photoshop, AutoCAD, Smaart, or even just to control your Powersoft amp or Allen & Heath mixer, what do you do?

I know that there are open-source alternatives for many of the big apps, which often are amazing labors of love, but life is finite and I don't want to spend too much of it learning new apps for things I already know how to do some other way. In a work environment, you are pretty much forced to use the big apps that folks you hire know (not a problem for me anymore).

Do you keep separate Windows and Mac machines for those purposes or is the Linux world so rich now that it's sufficient for everything, even commercial apps? And what about virtual machines on Linux? I was seriously considering ditching Windows about a year ago, but wimped out and stayed on the well-worn path. Truth is, I'll probably die on Windows -- cussing the whole way  :-\

--Frank

Since a good majority of my life is deploying other Linux systems having the tools on my laptop is essential.  I keep a Windows 7 image in Virtual Box (a Hypervisor) for running any Windows specific hardware.

We even switched off Office365 to Gsuite so I do my content creation in Google Docs. 

It works well for me.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Daniel Levi

DELL Inspiron 13 2-in-1, WIN10, 256gb SSD, i5. Does all I need from a laptop, plus being able to be flipped is very handy as it will hand off my bed side table for in bed video watching.

Also controls the XR12 that us part of my home keyboard setup .

Scott Helmke

I was going off the "recommend to your family" side of the question. Most people would be OK with any modern OS, as long as it is stable.  I don't consider Windows to be very stable these days, frankly. That being said, we use Windows at work because of specific applications, and I have a dual-boot (Windows and Ubuntu Linux) laptop.  At home my "business" computer is Ubuntu Linux, since I only need it for email, browsing, office, etc. Much less worries about losing data and/or identity to viruses and scammers with Linux.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services

I did IT from back before there were personal computers. I am retired now. I do sound because I like it.

My take is Windows (& I suspect Linux etc) requires me to manage the computer (doing IT) in order to use it. With my MBP, I just use it and occasionally it will let me know there is an update available (to install at MY convenience).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

I did IT from back before there were personal computers. I am retired now. I do sound because I like it.

My take is Windows (& I suspect Linux etc) requires me to manage the computer (doing IT) in order to use it. With my MBP, I just use it and occasionally it will let me know there is an update available (to install at MY convenience).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rob, how did you network those slate tablets together?  8)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light

Rob, how did you network those slate tablets together?  8)

Tape Reels of course.  Anyone who used an IBM Mainframe back in the early 70's did it that way.

Former IBM Systems Architect (GIS).

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com

Hi Tom,

I've been using a Lenovo T460p with Win 10 Pro for almost 2 years now.  It has been a very solid setup for me.  I've been a long-time user and fan of the T-series Thinkpads (going on 17+ years now).  I recently procured 3 T480p's for our office in Honduras, they were much like my T460p machine, just two years newer and thinner.

My recommendations for any new machine are:
Use Chrome with uBlock Origin ad blocker for any web activity
Enable two-factor authentication for anything important (and ESPECIALLY EMAIL!!)
Remove any bloatware and third-party Anti-virus, enable Windows Defender
Store any important files in DropBox, Google Drive, or Onedrive (using encryption if desired--VeraCrypt)
Don't click anything you don't trust 100%
Backup anything important to a different medium/provider
Apply automatic updates but test your applications are fully operational before gigs.

I've also toyed with Linux (although mostly on servers) since 1995.  The desktop experience has been markedly improved over the last decade or so.  I have Ubuntu 16.04 running on a desktop at home--it's very solid and continues to just work (on 2010 hardware).

I am planning to install Linux on an older IBM ThinkPad to breath some new life into it.  It should work well for my parents to use for web surfing tasks.  I'll have to report back once I get that configured.

Jeff
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:59:26 PM by Jeffrey Knorr - CobraSound.com »

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.