ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Network to HDMI converter  (Read 15103 times)

Fred Dorado

Network to HDMI converter
« on: December 11, 2018, 06:57:18 PM »

looking to run network cable for some projectors and convert it back and forth from HDMI.

Currently all the projectors are running a single RCA style connector for video.

My hope is to just tape a network cable to those and use them as pull through and then us HDMi connections.

What do you like and have had good luck with for converters, mostly focused on budget options for now.

thanks

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Network to HDMI converter
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 07:23:25 PM »

looking to run network cable for some projectors and convert it back and forth from HDMI.

Currently all the projectors are running a single RCA style connector for video.

My hope is to just tape a network cable to those and use them as pull through and then us HDMi connections.

What do you like and have had good luck with for converters, mostly focused on budget options for now.

thanks

HDBaseT is what you're looking for.  Various options out there which can also carry network, IR, RS232, and USB.  Pay attention to your cable length and the resolution specific lengths for specific cable types.  If it's short you can get away with regular cat5e but for long runs you may need to use cat6.  Really long runs do better with fiber based options.

Fred Dorado

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 12:44:55 PM »

thanks. Runs are fairly short, I don't think anything over 75 feet.

Any brand or models to look at or stay away from?

HDBaseT is what you're looking for.  Various options out there which can also carry network, IR, RS232, and USB.  Pay attention to your cable length and the resolution specific lengths for specific cable types.  If it's short you can get away with regular cat5e but for long runs you may need to use cat6.  Really long runs do better with fiber based options.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 08:57:19 AM »

thanks. Runs are fairly short, I don't think anything over 75 feet.

Any brand or models to look at or stay away from?

Probably :). It’s a standard so there’s gear from multiple mfgrs out there which should work together.  I usually try to match rx and tx though.  Off the top of my head I can remember using Kramer, Key Digital, and monoprice units successfully.  I’m sure Extron has offerings and my distributors often have no-name rx/tx pairs on sale when I stop in to pick-up equipment.  I haven’t used the no-name ones but they can’t be much different than the monoprice stuff in terms of quality. 

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 01:17:21 AM »

There are also some HDMI-over-IP solutions out there. It's a more complex option than typical video-over-CATx solutions, and can introduce some latency. An advantage is being able to stream a single source to multiple receivers using an Ethernet switch as the splitter.

Disadvantages (besides complexity) include higher cost and the need for network switches that support jumbo frames. In my experience it's best to put them on their own VLAN.

The only brand I've used is Gefen, and that was only once, so realize my experience is pretty limited.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Fred Dorado

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 06:21:46 PM »

Follow up question. Anyone used a Coax HDMI converted?

something like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KHVRXRT/?coliid=I168N06O24WSVS&colid=1W1HORZ77YFP8&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

one of our projectors has coax running to it and it would be nice not to have to run cable.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 03:53:24 AM »

Follow up question. Anyone used a Coax HDMI converted?

something like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KHVRXRT/?coliid=I168N06O24WSVS&colid=1W1HORZ77YFP8&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

one of our projectors has coax running to it and it would be nice not to have to run cable.

The ad copy on that unit doesn’t inspire any confidence.  Maybe it works reliably.  I wouldn’t chance it.

When I want to do HDMI over coax it’s SDI coax and I use a decimator designs MD-HX or MD-LX on each end.  Odds are your coax won’t handle a SDI signal.  Maybe if it’s short enough it’ll work, but if it’s standard CATV or composite coax then it could be hit or miss.  I’ve never tried to run SDI over non-SDI cables.  I’ve always just pulled in new cable.

Fred Dorado

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 05:55:25 PM »

SO I just looked at one of the cables and it says its RG6/U.

I don't understand all the stuff, but if I read correctly that should be good to go.

Also, if it is and it's whats in the rest of the building, it looks like that decimator  it would make a good distribution box

The ad copy on that unit doesn’t inspire any confidence.  Maybe it works reliably.  I wouldn’t chance it.

When I want to do HDMI over coax it’s SDI coax and I use a decimator designs MD-HX or MD-LX on each end.  Odds are your coax won’t handle a SDI signal.  Maybe if it’s short enough it’ll work, but if it’s standard CATV or composite coax then it could be hit or miss.  I’ve never tried to run SDI over non-SDI cables.  I’ve always just pulled in new cable.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 08:51:30 PM »

I don't understand all the stuff, but if I read correctly that should be good to go.

Also, if it is and it's whats in the rest of the building, it looks like that decimator  it would make a good distribution box
What resolution are you sending to your projectors now?
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 09:30:05 PM »

You may be in luck there.  If it’s terminated to F-type connectors then you’ll want to re terminate to bnc.  You do still need to stay under 100m total length.  Can you determine the exact cable mfgr and part number?  It should be printed on the side of the cable.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 09:30:05 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.