Church and H.O.W. Ė Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > H.O.W. AV

Network to HDMI converter

(1/3) > >>

Fred Dorado:
looking to run network cable for some projectors and convert it back and forth from HDMI.

Currently all the projectors are running a single RCA style connector for video.

My hope is to just tape a network cable to those and use them as pull through and then us HDMi connections.

What do you like and have had good luck with for converters, mostly focused on budget options for now.

thanks

Erik Jerde:

--- Quote from: Fred Dorado on December 11, 2018, 06:57:18 pm ---looking to run network cable for some projectors and convert it back and forth from HDMI.

Currently all the projectors are running a single RCA style connector for video.

My hope is to just tape a network cable to those and use them as pull through and then us HDMi connections.

What do you like and have had good luck with for converters, mostly focused on budget options for now.

thanks

--- End quote ---

HDBaseT is what you're looking for.  Various options out there which can also carry network, IR, RS232, and USB.  Pay attention to your cable length and the resolution specific lengths for specific cable types.  If it's short you can get away with regular cat5e but for long runs you may need to use cat6.  Really long runs do better with fiber based options.

Fred Dorado:
thanks. Runs are fairly short, I don't think anything over 75 feet.

Any brand or models to look at or stay away from?


--- Quote from: Erik Jerde on December 11, 2018, 07:23:25 pm ---HDBaseT is what you're looking for.  Various options out there which can also carry network, IR, RS232, and USB.  Pay attention to your cable length and the resolution specific lengths for specific cable types.  If it's short you can get away with regular cat5e but for long runs you may need to use cat6.  Really long runs do better with fiber based options.

--- End quote ---

Erik Jerde:

--- Quote from: Fred Dorado on December 12, 2018, 12:44:55 pm ---thanks. Runs are fairly short, I don't think anything over 75 feet.

Any brand or models to look at or stay away from?

--- End quote ---

Probably :). Itís a standard so thereís gear from multiple mfgrs out there which should work together.  I usually try to match rx and tx though.  Off the top of my head I can remember using Kramer, Key Digital, and monoprice units successfully.  Iím sure Extron has offerings and my distributors often have no-name rx/tx pairs on sale when I stop in to pick-up equipment.  I havenít used the no-name ones but they canít be much different than the monoprice stuff in terms of quality. 

Jonathan Johnson:
There are also some HDMI-over-IP solutions out there. It's a more complex option than typical video-over-CATx solutions, and can introduce some latency. An advantage is being able to stream a single source to multiple receivers using an Ethernet switch as the splitter.

Disadvantages (besides complexity) include higher cost and the need for network switches that support jumbo frames. In my experience it's best to put them on their own VLAN.

The only brand I've used is Gefen, and that was only once, so realize my experience is pretty limited.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version