ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Direct box  (Read 10297 times)

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Direct box
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2018, 11:08:36 PM »

Well, I don’t know about ‘new’. I’ve had mine for at least five years, if not more...

When you push that tube into slight distortion - Yummy!
I just heard about the Reddi, but have had an ART Tube MP for around 18 years, they still are making them a variety of flavors, and they sound great from clean to distorted for only $50 to $100.
That said, needing a wall wart makes them not too stage friendly, but a tube sound without lugging an amp around, really nice units.

Art

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2018, 02:59:25 AM »

Yeah, I have the behringer equivalent of the mp studio v3, the mic200 that I bought in the early days of 2000. I haven’t used it for many years so I have forgotten about how it sounds.

Maybe it is time to revive it again to see if it still holds up...

EDIT: I just found this page

https://www.gearank.com/guides/di-box

I just heard about the Reddi, but have had an ART Tube MP for around 18 years, they still are making them a variety of flavors, and they sound great from clean to distorted for only $50 to $100.
That said, needing a wall wart makes them not too stage friendly, but a tube sound without lugging an amp around, really nice units.

Art
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 03:09:51 AM by Robert Lofgren »

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2018, 09:11:37 AM »

Apologies ahead of time.  I am looking for recommendations for di boxes.  We are a cover band but do periodic opener slash provider gigs for regional acts.  It's not lucrative but it is fun.  I need to acquire a couple of Swiss Army knife DI boxes for these events. 

There ar undoubtedly threads that have covered this but the search function seems to find a heck of a lot of threads with direct and box in them. 

Recommendations and or links to a prior comprehensive thread would be appreciated.  I am jot looking for the best.  I am looking for good at a good price.

I regularly use Horizon Stereoline DI's on keyboards and bass.  I have had no issues over years of use.
FWIW: This past Saturday I provided the rig for a band at a country club's Holiday party.  I used a stereoline DI on the keyboard and the bassist brought a "Sansamp" DI for his upright.  The samsamp sounded good.

Paul Rennick

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2018, 12:32:55 PM »

The OP's "Swiss Army Knife" comment would also lead me to the Radial ProAV2.  What can't you do with that thing?  I've used it for 3.5mm stereo feeds from laptops, stereo keys, Acoustic guitars, I've even used it to sum stereo channels by feeding the right output back into an alternate left input.  Heck you can probably even hammer in a tent-peg with it.   

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2018, 01:05:43 PM »

I regularly use Horizon Stereoline DI's on keyboards and bass.  I have had no issues over years of use.
FWIW: This past Saturday I provided the rig for a band at a country club's Holiday party.  I used a stereoline DI on the keyboard and the bassist brought a "Sansamp" DI for his upright.  The samsamp sounded good.

A Sansamp is a full blown preamp. The industry has a tendency to label anything pedal shaped with an XLR out a "DI."

Eden does the same with their floor preamp, the WTDI, which is a very nice piece of kit on bass and acoustic instruments.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2018, 02:43:44 PM »

The OP's "Swiss Army Knife" comment would also lead me to the Radial ProAV2.  What can't you do with that thing?  I've used it for 3.5mm stereo feeds from laptops, stereo keys, Acoustic guitars, I've even used it to sum stereo channels by feeding the right output back into an alternate left input.  Heck you can probably even hammer in a tent-peg with it.
Actually amazed we've got thru this thread without mention of Whirlwind.
The one reason I like the PC-DI over the Pro AV2 is the mono sum button.  Otherwise build-quality and ruggedness seem similar and I've never had one break.
I also have some 30+ year old IMP's and DIRECTOR's that have been used long enough that they look like homemade hammond die-cast project boxes because all the paint has been scratched off but they work fine still.  (probably from all the decades of being used as "bricks" to tilt back guitar amps or lift the front of 12AM's)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2018, 07:45:08 PM »

... The one reason I like the PC-DI over the Pro AV2 is the mono sum button. ...

The radial pro av1 has mono sum built in (essentially hardwired)
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Roland Clarke

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2018, 09:49:12 AM »

My only observation to add would be that the op needs a decent occasional Di and the thread is full of expensive and boutique suggestions.  I would liken it to someone needin a reliable, cheap to run, car to go to the town and the shopping centre and most people recommending a top of the range Audi.  YMMV.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2018, 11:07:47 AM »

My only observation to add would be that the op needs a decent occasional Di and the thread is full of expensive and boutique suggestions.  I would liken it to someone needin a reliable, cheap to run, car to go to the town and the shopping centre and most people recommending a top of the range Audi.  YMMV.

Moderator Mac drives an Audi...  Gotti a problem wit dat? ;)

I recommended two models that are pricey compared to the $40 DIs but I also gave some background on WHY I picked them.

Almost any DI that's reasonably linear and that doesn't load the source down or distort with the presented input level is likely to work fine.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Roland Clarke

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2018, 03:59:17 PM »

Moderator Mac drives an Audi...  Gotti a problem wit dat? ;)

Probably, I had to part with my Lotus Esprit GT3 when I had kids! 😉

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2018, 03:59:17 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.