ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 4x4 zone mixer recommendations  (Read 6570 times)

Bradford "BJ" James

4x4 zone mixer recommendations
« on: December 10, 2018, 12:30:38 PM »

Looking for recommendations on a replacement for a failing Samson S-Zone. Will have to be a similar form factor as the S-Zone ie physical buttons.
Thanks. BJ
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: 4x4 zone mixer recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 03:59:57 PM »

Looking for recommendations on a replacement for a failing Samson S-Zone. Will have to be a similar form factor as the S-Zone ie physical buttons.
Thanks. BJ

Does the Rolls 424 unit meet the criteria?

RM424 Four Zone Mixer
http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=RM424
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 04:24:37 PM »

Thanks. BJ
Is the Samson no longer available?
Ideally a dbx zonepro (with a panel of ZC's)
-but if that's overkill then look at the Rolls RM424
or if you have additional rack space available then a Cloud Z4
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 12:35:35 PM »

Thanks. I ended up just ordering another S-Zone. 1st one lasted 7+ years in hostile conditions so I can't complain too much.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 03:30:48 PM »

Thanks. I ended up just ordering another S-Zone. 1st one lasted 7+ years in hostile conditions so I can't complain too much.
Curious if you have an assessment of what failed on it?
It is an interesting piece that I've encountered a few times before that seems to fit a much-needed niche between standard paging amps and full-on DSP setups.
Another similar one was a Numark piece (they only made once) that ended-up in quite a few SoCal gin-mills I service regularly and have been wanting to upgrade (RM-6 I think)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 03:59:34 PM »

I put an S-Zone in a bar a couple years ago because the feature set was right. So was the price. Owner is an audio pro and didn't like the Samson name but was in love with it by the time I got everything working. 7+ years is a pretty good ROI for something like this. Set aside $5/month for the next replacement.

I'd have pointed out the A&H GR05 but that costs twice as much and won't do what the Samson does. Also has pro connectors, which is another hassle for integration.

Yeah Craig, there is nothing else on the market with the S-Zone feature set. I looked for over a month trying to fine something more upmarket that would do the job without resorting to a $2500+ DSP matrix mixer that was totally overkill.

The Samson has just about everything you could think of to be useful in a small bar/restaurant situation without breaking the bank or requiring a bunch of programming and integration.

It is an interesting piece that I've encountered a few times before that seems to fit a much-needed niche between standard paging amps and full-on DSP setups.
Another similar one was a Numark piece (they only made once) that ended-up in quite a few SoCal gin-mills I service regularly and have been wanting to upgrade (RM-6 I think)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 04:02:59 PM by Tim Hite »
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

John L Nobile

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 06:13:47 PM »

That S-Zone looks very interesting. It would replace a lot of useless install gear an AV company oversold us years ago and be much easier to operate. 

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 05:57:03 PM »

The failure is a hum through the outputs, all outputs showing full clip with no input signal applied, and non functioning onboard monitor speaker. Good possibility of some operator abuse, but will send the faulty unit in for service to find out what happened. The replacement is here all ready to swap out.
Yes, it is a neat little unit at a fair price. No complaints really.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 07:46:56 AM »

The failure is a hum through the outputs, all outputs showing full clip with no input signal applied, and non functioning onboard monitor speaker. Good possibility of some operator abuse, but will send the faulty unit in for service to find out what happened. The replacement is here all ready to swap out.
Yes, it is a neat little unit at a fair price. No complaints really.

I'm guessing the power supply lost a rail. The supply may just need to be re-capped. Maybe worth taking a look at to repair and have a back up.

ART has some similar units.
 I understand the value of a direct drop in replacement and no operator retraining.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 03:25:22 PM »

I'm guessing the power supply lost a rail. The supply may just need to be re-capped. Maybe worth taking a look at to repair and have a back up.

ART has some similar units.
I understand the value of a direct drop in replacement and no operator retraining.
Bingo.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 03:25:22 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.