ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Painter painted my fiber ends  (Read 1855 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Painter painted my fiber ends
« on: September 05, 2023, 01:36:17 PM »

In a church remodel. I took the ptz cameras down and today I’m reinstalling. Painters painted over the fiber optic connectors.

Ever dealt with this? Can I dunk them in paint thinner? It doesn’t typically hurt plastics so that might be ok.

What are you thoughts?  I don’t have the ability to redo the ends.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Painter painted my fiber ends
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 03:40:47 PM »

It's going to depend on the paint used. Paint thinner on its own might not be enough.  Additionally, getting the ends perfectly clean may be next to impossible.

I'd try acetone first (since that's the part of paint thinner that would remove paint) and see if I could get it clean enough.  Maybe, but probably not.

If you can't get it clean, retermination will be your only option.  It's not super hard to do, and tools aren't that expensive.

Lesson learned here is when you disconnect something, capping it is a good idea.

If you know painters will be in the area, take EXTRA precaution. Professionals know what not to paint. Lazy or amateurs will gop paint onto any and everything!
Brian Jojade

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 03:49:03 PM »

It's going to depend on the paint used. Paint thinner on its own might not be enough.  Additionally, getting the ends perfectly clean may be next to impossible.

I'd try acetone first (since that's the part of paint thinner that would remove paint) and see if I could get it clean enough.  Maybe, but probably not.

If you can't get it clean, retermination will be your only option.  It's not super hard to do, and tools aren't that expensive.

Lesson learned here is when you disconnect something, capping it is a good idea.

If you know painters will be in the area, take EXTRA precaution. Professionals know what not to paint. Lazy or amateurs will gop paint onto any and everything!

For sure. It is definitely on me. I should have bagged up the camera cabling.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 01:15:20 AM »

I don’t have the ability to redo the ends.

Even if you don't personally have the tools/experience to redo them, there are a lot of low-voltage fiber optic techs out there you can hire to come in a do a few terminations.  It would be good to get to know one anyway, as fiber is only getting more common.  It's not crazy expensive anymore either. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 01:15:20 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.