ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone built or installed an orchestra shell?  (Read 1588 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Anyone built or installed an orchestra shell?
« on: August 24, 2023, 05:48:51 PM »

Who does this kind of design work? All I see online is Wenger. Are they the "ETC" of acoustic shells?

I'm now the Media Director of a large church. We are remodeling our space in January and I'd like to get rid of our current plaster ceiling and have some moveable acoustic shells built to fly over the choir riser (approx 120 choir "seats", but we regularly have 100 voices). We do traditional choir and orchestra for the early service and contemporary music the second service. What I'm pitching is 8 linesets (ETC Automated lifts) with the furthest upstage flying out 30' wide LED screen. Then alternating lights, acoustic cloud, lights, acoustic cloud, etc.

So I need some custom sized clouds, but the reflective kind, not the absorbtive kind. Who does this kind of work?

How much am I about to spend! lol
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
Re: Anyone built or installed an orchestra shell?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 11:09:00 AM »

So I need some custom sized clouds, but the reflective kind, not the absorbtive kind. Who does this kind of work?

Texas Scenic? I believe that is who did the symphony shell for our local theater. It consists of clouds with integrated downlighting that live on the linesets, and super tall
moveable wall sections on carts...some wheeled, and some un-wheeled that require a custom lifting dolly. I'll take a look the next time I am in the building and take a snap of the ID tags.

Robert Healey

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 01:14:34 PM »

Who does this kind of design work? All I see online is Wenger. Are they the "ETC" of acoustic shells?

I'm now the Media Director of a large church. We are remodeling our space in January and I'd like to get rid of our current plaster ceiling and have some moveable acoustic shells built to fly over the choir riser (approx 120 choir "seats", but we regularly have 100 voices). We do traditional choir and orchestra for the early service and contemporary music the second service. What I'm pitching is 8 linesets (ETC Automated lifts) with the furthest upstage flying out 30' wide LED screen. Then alternating lights, acoustic cloud, lights, acoustic cloud, etc.

In an architect-led project (i.e. not a design build), shell geometry and performance are typically recommended by an acoustical consultant/engineer and then the shell is drawn up and specified by the theater consultant/engineer. If you are looking for a design-build delivery rather than involving engineers, a theatrical integrator could supply the shell (but won't be able to do some things - for instance, be able to tell you how much weight the roof can hold)

Wenger/Clancy manufactures shells but is also now an integrator. I suspect they are the largest supplier of orchestra shells in the country. You have to use them as an installer and they do not sell to other dealers.

Staging Concepts manufactures shells and will work with local theatrical dealers. In your area I would be talking to Texas Scenic, Mainstage, or Barbizon.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 01:20:16 PM by Robert Healey »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 01:14:34 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.