ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10” tops over 12” subs vs 15” tops  (Read 1982 times)

Richard Penrose

10” tops over 12” subs vs 15” tops
« on: December 10, 2018, 09:51:17 AM »

Hi,

I’m considering scaling down my PA next year as I want a lighter setup. At the moment I’m using a pair of DXR15’s over QSC KW181 subs but for the work I’m doing at the moment and even more so in the foreseeable future I just use the DXR15’s by themselves. As a result I may end up selling the KW181’s.
The DXR’s have been working out great but I’m considering the upcoming RCF HDP45’s as they look like they could be a step up in quality. They are also a little lighter which is very welcome!
Another option I’m considering is going for something like the RCF HD10’s or DXR10’s over the RCF 702 subs. However, I tried some Alto TS210’s over the TS212Subs and found the bass really lacked any clarity and there was a lot of audible buzzy port noise coming from the TS212 sub. Also, the DXR’s sounded much clearer with more separation between all the parts and vocals came through clearer and more detailed. They also went much louder and the Alto system just started to break up and sounded a mess. The RCF 702 sub is virtually the same size but even lighter than the Alto TS212 sub which makes me wonder if it will also suffer from a lot of port buzzing?
Last night I was at an event where the FOH was a pair of KV2 EX6’s and a single EX1.2 sub and the sound from that system was stunning! The band was 4x vocals, keys, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass and drums. Everything went through the FOH including the fully miked drums and bass and the sound was massive from such a tiny system! Also, there wasn’t any buzzing come from the 12” EX 1.2 sub at all and the overall output was MUCH higher and deeper than any other 12” sub I’ve heard! The system also had masses of headroom left! Obviously I can’t expect the extremely budget TS212 sub to come anywhere vaguely close to a sub costing 10x the price but I’m wondering if the RCF 702 would be a good step up from the Alto and not suffer as much from lack of clarity and port buzzing?

Basically I’ve trying to decide between the following options :-

A single pair of RCF HDP45’s (or just keep DXR15’s)

or

A pair of RCF HD10’s over a pair of RCF 702 subs.

I’ve narrowed my searches down to these options due to weight and price. What are your thoughts/recommendations?

Paul G. OBrien

Re: 10” tops over 12” subs vs 15” tops
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 11:42:23 AM »

Hi,

I’m considering scaling down my PA next year as I want a lighter setup. At the moment I’m using a pair of DXR15’s over QSC KW181 subs but for the work I’m doing at the moment and even more so in the foreseeable future I just use the DXR15’s by themselves. As a result I may end up selling the KW181’s.
The DXR’s have been working out great but I’m considering the upcoming RCF HDP45’s as they look like they could be a step up in quality. They are also a little lighter which is very welcome!
Another option I’m considering is going for something like the RCF HD10’s or DXR10’s over the RCF 702 subs. However, I tried some Alto TS210’s over the TS212Subs and found the bass really lacked any clarity and there was a lot of audible buzzy port noise coming from the TS212 sub. Also, the DXR’s sounded much clearer with more separation between all the parts and vocals came through clearer and more detailed. They also went much louder and the Alto system just started to break up and sounded a mess. The RCF 702 sub is virtually the same size but even lighter than the Alto TS212 sub which makes me wonder if it will also suffer from a lot of port buzzing?
Last night I was at an event where the FOH was a pair of KV2 EX6’s and a single EX1.2 sub and the sound from that system was stunning! The band was 4x vocals, keys, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass and drums. Everything went through the FOH including the fully miked drums and bass and the sound was massive from such a tiny system! Also, there wasn’t any buzzing come from the 12” EX 1.2 sub at all and the overall output was MUCH higher and deeper than any other 12” sub I’ve heard! The system also had masses of headroom left! Obviously I can’t expect the extremely budget TS212 sub to come anywhere vaguely close to a sub costing 10x the price but I’m wondering if the RCF 702 would be a good step up from the Alto and not suffer as much from lack of clarity and port buzzing?

Basically I’ve trying to decide between the following options :-

A single pair of RCF HDP45’s (or just keep DXR15’s)

or

A pair of RCF HD10’s over a pair of RCF 702 subs.

I’ve narrowed my searches down to these options due to weight and price. What are your thoughts/recommendations?

DXR15s are a pretty good lift up on stands, I certainly notice the extra weight compared to something like an EV ZLX12p. The Yamis do sound good but mids clarity falls apart pretty quickly if bass levels are pushed up, that is the achilles heel of a 2 way speaker. The HDP45 should do a better job with that with the big CD crossed so low but I wouldn't be surprised if a 3-way system still beats it. It should also be no surprise that KV2 systems sounded a lot better than the Alto.. you really do get what you pay for, your proposed HD10/702 combo will also be a significant step up from the Alto boxes.

Mal Brown

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 12:49:41 PM »

I personally would miss the 181’s with that plan.  If I were going in that direction, I would be thinking about the new Cardiod sub from QSC.... 
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Richard Penrose

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 05:44:58 PM »

The new cardioid QSC subs are actually a fraction heavier than the KW181’s which completely defeats the objective. I want to scale down as much as possible in weight where I can.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 09:13:56 PM »

Something like DXR10s over the DXS12s would be a good smaller system.  There's no substitute for boundary reinforcement from the floor for low frequencies.  I've run my K10s over my one DSX12 for small things and it works great.  2 subs would be better and the DXRs kill the K10s.

I wouldn't put the Alto subs in the same category as the Yammies.  I have the Alto DXS112 wedges, they're great for what they are, but I wouldn't put them in the same league as twice the price Yamaha gear.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 09:13:56 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.