ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade from XR18  (Read 7286 times)

Robert Lofgren

Re: Upgrade from XR18
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 08:22:00 PM »

The n300 would definitely not be the first wifi router that I’d think of.

It is single-band 2.4ghz with no mu-mimo, beam forming or 802.11ac.

In my UI-24 rig, it is hard wired to a NetGear N300 wireless, 4 port router

Scott Bolt

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 09:01:54 PM »

I went from an XR18 to a Soundcraft Ui24r. It's a significant upgrade, IMO. More channels, more routing options, better sounding, much easier recording, more auxes, usable built in wife (though still fairly weak), web based GUI that runs on just about anything, ability to hard wire a touch screen monitor directly to the mixer. I also prefer the GUI.
LMAO!

My X32 Rack did not come with a built in wife of any kind Sean.  I had to add that option myself ;)

On a more serious note, I agree.  I think the Ui24 is better for the money than the X32 Rack depending on your usage; however, more people are likely to know the X32/XR infrastructure/architecture (if that is something anyone cares about).

The X32 Rack and XR18 still have a few neat features not found on the Ui24 as well, but if these features aren't something you can't live without, then the Ui24 has much to recommend it.

Robert,

I am actually going through wifi He!! right now at work.  Multi-country wifi certification is quite a racket.  What a PITA!

jesseweiss

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 09:42:10 PM »

LMAO!

My X32 Rack did not come with a built in wife of any kind Sean.  I had to add that option myself ;)

On a more serious note, I agree.  I think the Ui24 is better for the money than the X32 Rack depending on your usage; however, more people are likely to know the X32/XR infrastructure/architecture (if that is something anyone cares about).

The X32 Rack and XR18 still have a few neat features not found on the Ui24 as well, but if these features aren't something you can't live without, then the Ui24 has much to recommend it.

Robert,

I am actually going through wifi He!! right now at work.  Multi-country wifi certification is quite a racket.  What a PITA!
what features does the xr18 have the Soundcraft does not?

Mal Brown

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 10:35:03 PM »

Been in my rig for like eons... are they even sold anymore ?  Just keeps plugging along.  I’ll upgrade when I have to ...  there’s more movers to buy...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 04:17:28 AM »

Soundcraft UI24

+1 for the Ui24

When I wanted to try the rack mixer format, started out with the Ui16 which worked well, loved the app, but suffered from connectivity issues (and bugs given it was an early run of the units).  I've since moved to a Ui24 and love it. Still don't rely on the Wifi (use hardwired Airport Extreme) but the Ui24 is a major improvement on the Ui16.  Haven't tried anything Behringer so can't compare. YMMV 
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Greg Harwood

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2018, 09:14:55 AM »

So this is about networking.... the UI 24 has a default ip address of 10.10.2.2.  I used the router admin page to set it’s ip to 10.10.2.1 and reserved 4 through 10 for dhcp to handle IPads and etc connecting.  I reserved 10.10.2.2 as a static address. I also reserved an address for my PC. At 10.10.2.3.

Each router has it’s own management page so exactly how to handle your’s is not something I would likely know.

The pc and Ui 24 are hard wired to the router.  iPads connect wirelessly (duh!)

If you are on Facebook, I highly recommend joining the UI-24r group.   One of the members wrote and uploaded a nice guide on this topic.  It is also where the Product Manager, Danny Olesh takes requests.  He also answers a lot of questions though the group does a lot of self support.  It is probably the best reason I have to be on Facebook other than family stuff at this point.

Thanks Mal.  Some of that sounded like Greek, but I get the gist.  Not on Facebook, but thanks for the suggestion.  Oh, and sorry to hijack thread.
Greg H.

Mal Brown

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2018, 12:39:43 PM »

Automatic lo-fi... baked in ;-)

I hear that there are filters on aux outs that some folks leverage with aux fed subs.  Not an issue for me as I either run powered subs and tops with the x-over included (K series). Or racks and stacks with BSS speaker processing as a part of the rack. Thanks
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Mal Brown

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2018, 12:41:54 PM »

Ok, now that I’ve been shamed (only kidding ...). There are refurbed TP Link Archer C7’s on Amazon for like $60.  Maybe it’s time to upgrade after all...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Scott Bolt

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2018, 05:47:41 PM »

The X32 has quite a bit more than the XR18; however, both have a multi-band compressor, side chain triggering of both compressors and gates, frequency dependent triggers of compressors and gates, on-screen information about where the input level is along the trigger curve for both compressors and gates, dozens of different FX not in the Ui, much more sophisticated control of each efx, the ability to use the 16 channel personal monitoring system P16m through ultranet, and quite a bit more I believe.

Still, there is nothing at all wrong with the Ui24.  It sounds better (to many people's ears), and arguably, the efx it has are good without tons of tweaking. 

I also think it isn't fair to compare the Ui24 to the XR18 considering the price difference.  It is a more apt comparison to pit the Ui24 against the X32 Rack (which are more similar in price).

The X32 Rack has many more features over the both the Ui24 and the XR18, not the least of which is a front panel physical UI.  It can use a stage box, it has much more complex routing capabilities, and it can actually be used as a stage box (and a redundant X32 brain) for another X32 mixer.  The X32 Rack is a pretty capable mixer with many features of much more expensive mixers.... and it is fairly inexpensive as well.

Still, you need to consider your own personal usage model to decide which mixer is better for what you do.

FWIW, I think that anyone decent can make a great sounding mix with an XR18 or X32.  I doubt many would hear the difference between theses mixers and the Ui24 in a live environment (some here might as we are generally a pretty particular lot ;) ).

jesseweiss

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2018, 06:01:20 PM »

The X32 has quite a bit more than the XR18; however, both have a multi-band compressor, side chain triggering of both compressors and gates, frequency dependent triggers of compressors and gates, on-screen information about where the input level is along the trigger curve for both compressors and gates, dozens of different FX not in the Ui, much more sophisticated control of each efx, the ability to use the 16 channel personal monitoring system P16m through ultranet, and quite a bit more I believe.

Still, there is nothing at all wrong with the Ui24.  It sounds better (to many people's ears), and arguably, the efx it has are good without tons of tweaking. 

I also think it isn't fair to compare the Ui24 to the XR18 considering the price difference.  It is a more apt comparison to pit the Ui24 against the X32 Rack (which are more similar in price).

The X32 Rack has many more features over the both the Ui24 and the XR18, not the least of which is a front panel physical UI.  It can use a stage box, it has much more complex routing capabilities, and it can actually be used as a stage box (and a redundant X32 brain) for another X32 mixer.  The X32 Rack is a pretty capable mixer with many features of much more expensive mixers.... and it is fairly inexpensive as well.

Still, you need to consider your own personal usage model to decide which mixer is better for what you do.

FWIW, I think that anyone decent can make a great sounding mix with an XR18 or X32.  I doubt many would hear the difference between theses mixers and the Ui24 in a live environment (some here might as we are generally a pretty particular lot ;) ).
Hopefully my XR18 is fine, haven't had time to check it.

If it is dead I think the x32 rack would be a cool replacement. It probably has more than we need but if I can afford it....

I've consider the x32 compact, as the band would probably like physical faders back, although they like the stage box. Then again we have a snake.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2018, 06:01:20 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.